It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-31-2007   #1 (permalink)
Melissa

Default My kitten doesn't play...is she still sick?

My roommate and I got a kitten from a rescue house in January - apparently she was found with her sister in the cold, but our kitten was the only one to survive. She was extremely afraid and hid a lot when we took her home but I knew she needed time to adjust. Soon after when I was away, my roommate called and said that our kitten couldn't walk. We took her to the vet and she was diagnosed as having a virus. My roommate was afraid of the kitten and felt that she was 'unnatural' so I took over, giving her all her meds, taking her to the litterbox and to eat because she could no longer walk, and cleaning her when she had an accident. She can walk much better now, and is extremely loving and cuddly, even seeking us out. I am worried because she still doesn't play. The only toy that has any success is a pole with toys attached to strings. She is my cat now, and I adore her. The vet said there was a possibility she might be brain damaged after the illness. Is this what's wrong with her?No, I don't mind if she does end up being brain damaged, I would love her just the same. I haven't tried the mice yet, but I have tried balls, bells, catnip, string, one of those spring toys she can bat at, and bubbles. She's about 5-6 months old and she's been walking for about a month. I'm just worried about her because my roommate doesn't play with her, and the only toy I have found that she likes can only be played with when I am there. I do play with her a lot, but I am worried that she is lonely and bored when I am away. Getting another kitty isn't an option - if it was, I would have done it already! I want to thank everyone so much for their answer and their kind words. They are much appreciated and I will try all your wonderful suggestions!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-31-2007   #2 (permalink)
Beach_Girl

What a sad story.... I would try various toys. My cat only likes the little mouse toys and the circular tube with a ball that goes around and around. Sounds like your little kitten is back on the road to recovery. It might just take some time. Good luck

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-31-2007   #3 (permalink)
adsandy2002

cats need time to adjust she will play. she has already made great progress.

Unread 03-31-2007   #4 (permalink)
kittygirl12

maybe you should try tv videos that entertain cats that might make her be more entertained while you not around. just try a lot of toys as well ,at first when i got my kitten he did not play at all. but after he got used to everything he got better. MY kitten only likes balls with bwlls and poles that have toys hangigng off them.Just try everything you will find something sooner or later.

Unread 03-31-2007   #5 (permalink)
sgarrison94

I may have missed it or you may not have said, but some kittens who are undernourished before you get them seem to develop more slowly. Mine did, I got her from the shelter when she was barely 3 weeks old and she was basically like an infant, we wrapped her in baby blankets and just held her. She was probably around 3 or 4 months old before her playtime kicked in, she is 3 yrs old now and has not stopped playtime, but a joy to be around!! Good Luck with yours and May God Bless you for saving that little life!!!

Unread 03-31-2007   #6 (permalink)
Naturescent

If your cat doesn't have a virus, why not get a kitten her age to play with. She may be missing her brothers or sisters. It worked for my cat who was also from a shelter and didn't know how to play no matter what I did to try and coax her. Now she's best buds with her adopted brother and they play all the time together.

Tags
baby , bat , cat , catnip , cats , cleaning , cold , color , found , great , hey , home , house , joy , kitten , kittens , kitty , litterbox , love , loving , mat , mouse , natural , play , rescue , sad , shelter , sick , story , suggestions , toys , vet , videos

Sponsored Cat Links