It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > General Cat Discussion > Cat Chat
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-01-2007   #1 (permalink)
sweetsherryk

Default which is best for an indoor house pet for a 9 year old? a male or a female kitten?

My 9 year old wants a kitten. I would like to get her one. which are better for pets males or females?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-01-2007   #2 (permalink)
bjsuno

either one is fine, but get it neutered or spayed. A male cat will spray, if it is not neutered.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-01-2007   #3 (permalink)
kittygirl12

either is a great pet just make sure if you get a male it is fixed or else he will spray.

Unread 04-01-2007   #4 (permalink)
RedOktoberfest

The gender does not matter. Personally, I've always found males to be more loving, but I've certainly females that were exceptions. Just make it clear to your 9 year old, and to yourself, that the cat is the family's cat, not hers. This way you can all work together to care for him/her and the cat will remain with you in 10 years should she go off to school. You can still set it up so that your child is in charge of litter and morning feedings, but it's not fair to put all the responsibilites on a child. Make it a family pet and it will all go easier! : )

Unread 04-01-2007   #5 (permalink)
Christopher C

I think a female would be best because males spray pee and females are more loving and cuddly .

Unread 04-01-2007   #6 (permalink)
moonbeam

we have had two male cats for the past 7 years, and a male cat in the household for the last 20. they are wonderful. they were all spayed or neutered........whichever you call it........and declawed. female cats tend to be more territorial, and i think there is something about the need to be a mother. i don't know what that is all about, but, my sister's cat every so often goes through some issues because of her hormones. she has been spayed or neutered as well. blessings!

Unread 04-01-2007   #7 (permalink)
Ashley P

The males are more playful and the females are more laid back and calm BUT they both would make good pets! Hope you can find a goodone! they are both also good at snuggling at night and keeping you warm!!!!!

Tags
calm , care , cat , cats , family , female , fixed , found , great , hey , house , indoor , kitten , litter , loving , male , mat , morning , night , pee , pet , spayed , territorial

Sponsored Cat Links