It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > General Cat Discussion > Cat Chat
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-07-2007   #1 (permalink)
darren c

Default i have to move home soon, im worried about my cat in its new home, i dont want

to lose him!? my cat is happy here, when we move how can i stop him from running away or getting lost at the new house?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-07-2007   #2 (permalink)
Ninny

I had my cat for about 8 years before we moved house, i was worried about how she would settle in the new house, she was great, she spent a few days exploring the new area and she settled in well, you might want to keep him in the house for a few days befor letting him out, you mightn't see him for a few hours or more but try not to worry too much

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-07-2007   #3 (permalink)
pinkchiq2

there is an old wife's tale that states rubbing butter on the bottoms of the cats paws will help them keep track of where they go when they first go out, my family have done it with all of their many cats over many years and we haven't lost one yet!

Unread 04-07-2007   #4 (permalink)
Missouri LitWit

Cats can easily adapt to their surroundings. One thing you can do is rub a towel on your kitty and then rub their scent on the walls using the towell. The more the place smells like them, the better they will adapt. A cat recognizes by scent. Plus, take their belongings, aka any toys, beds, pillows, into the house first. Don't drop them in an empty house and see what happens. Once your kitty sniffs around a little and gets used to it, you shouldn't have a problem. Show him that you feel at home and give him time, he'll come around. Hope this helps, and good luck. I'm moving, too, but my kitties have moved several times with me... they're used to it by now!

Unread 04-07-2007   #5 (permalink)
steph d

Keep him in for 2-3 weeks so he can familiarises himself with new cents. Slowly introduce him into the garden, using treats to encourage him back. This will teach him that he'll get fed there. It is also important that you get him micro chipped as well. If you speak to your vet, ofter they have 'event days' were micro chipping their pets is free ( I know a couple of veteran surgeries do this were I live) Good Luck.

Unread 04-07-2007   #6 (permalink)
Suede631

Moving can be stressful on cats, as well as humans. Definitely keep him indoors for a couple weeks, until he gets used to his new environment. You can also help relieve the stress by using a product like the Feliway plug-in or spray. It contains natural ingredients that mimic feline-friendly pheromones which help to calm them in new/stressful environments.Here's some links on moving with cats.

www.fabcats.org

Unread 04-07-2007   #7 (permalink)
irishgermankraut

Keep him inside and put a collar on him in case he escapes.

Unread 04-07-2007   #8 (permalink)
Snowraider

Buy a litter tray and keep him indoors for the first couple of months. Make sure he has plenty of attention and lots of toys to keep him from getting bored. Good luck with your move and the cat.

Tags
beds , calm , cat , cats , collar , environment , family , free , friendly , great , happy , hey , home , house , kitties , kitty , links , litter , lost , moving , natural , new home , problem , stop , tale , toys , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links