It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > General Cat Discussion > Cat Chat
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-07-2007   #1 (permalink)
Muaddib

Default I recently got a 5 week old female kitten, and my 1 1/2 year old female cat

hates her. Is this normal? How long does it take for my existing cat to get used to the newcomer?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-07-2007   #2 (permalink)
Shi ting

Let them near each other only when you are there to watch them untill they got used to one another,then you can let them near each other even though you are not there.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-07-2007   #3 (permalink)
driven by Budweiser

Yes it is normal, drowned both of them , get a dog and get a life.

Unread 04-07-2007   #4 (permalink)
Alyeria

The best way to introduce cats is to have another person with you. Find a treat that both your cats like and each of you hold one. Make sure they can see each other while you give them both treats, then take them away from one another. This will make your older cat relate the new kitten with getting nice treats and she will like her a bit more. The only sure fire thing you can do though is give them some time. Cats are territorial and your new kitten just stepped into your other cats turf uninvited and unannounced. Give them some time to suss each other out and establish a dominant/submissive relationship. Make sure you still give your older cat plenty of attention so it doesn;'t feel neglected and start resenting your new kitten.

Unread 04-07-2007   #5 (permalink)
sweetiefacek

usually when you have one pet then get another pet later on, the first pet is jealous. first kitty was the boss of the house you see lol. you have to give her time to get used to the new addition. i would say at the most a few weeks. ive had this problem before and they were licking each other in about a weeks time

Unread 04-07-2007   #6 (permalink)
Alex

Yeap.It's really normal.Noneed to worry about.That;s can keep them always together.

Unread 04-07-2007   #7 (permalink)
robrodman

Yes it is very natural, It is like any household. There can only be one head female. You are just lucky that your one cat is only a year and a half . The older the first female the more trouble you will have . As it is now , your oldest will be pissed till the kitten isn't a kitten anymore and excepts the older one as the boss. But as a kitten the whole world is her toy. Which will bother the older one bad. But once she sets the kitten straight she'll calm down.

Unread 04-07-2007   #8 (permalink)
Nicole C

It is normal and you should expect a period of adjustment. Luckily your other cat is only 1 1/2. Much older cats sometimes never accept a new edition. I'm concerned more with the fact that a 5 week old kitten has been removed from its mother....that's a bit early.

Unread 04-07-2007   #9 (permalink)
redrosefading

5 week old kitten is almost too young to have been taken from its mother, however be very careful with it around ur older cat, never leave them alone at least until the kitten gets older. At such a young age the kitten may think ur older cat is its mother and annoy the older cat into doing harm. Eventually she will except the newcomer, but it will take time and supervision. Be careful.

Unread 04-07-2007   #10 (permalink)
girlie_99

Yes it is normal. What i would do is give you older cat still as much attention as you did without the newcomer. Maybe even a bit more. She's just jealous. play with you kitten when the older cat isn't near. Just keep them seperate and only let them together when you have an eye on them - for a while until your older cat knows that she's part of the family now.

Tags
addition , age , art , calm , cat , cats , dog , eye , family , female , fire , hey , house , kitten , kitty , licking , lucky , natural , new kitten , nice , person , pet , play , problem , territorial , worry

Sponsored Cat Links