It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-21-2008   #1 (permalink)
catri83

Cool Can two cats get on?

Hi,

I have a 2 year old indoor cat. I was thinking of getting another cat as a companion for her as I work long days. Does anyone know if two cats get on or will the cat i have currently take to the new cat? Help me decide

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-24-2008   #2 (permalink)
buttercup

We started out with 2 siblings that got on very well together as only a brother and a sister can. They were the only ones we had for a few years until my son and his then girlfriend asked if we would let them bring home a kitten that they had purchased and her parents wouldn't take in. I of course said okay but I wasn't going to become attached. (That was going to happen!) When it was time for them to go and take Zipper with them I had fallen in love with her and they left her with us. The other two took to her as if she was their own and played with her. The female sibling has since passed but my male Oscar and Zipper are constant companions and I don't regret keeping my little Zipper.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-02-2008   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road

No problem. Maybe in the beginning they will struggle a little bit (or more).
In this case you must keep them in two different rooms & take "present" the new one
gradually to the "boss" (that's what the cat you have now thinks)
After some time all will be Okay, you will see.

Take care, Maya
Unread 07-06-2008   #4 (permalink)
Hanziejanelovescats

Default Can two cats get on?

Last week we adopted an older cat (about 12 months) and a kitten (both male and desexed) who hadn't met. They get along really well together, the older cat sharing everything, even his food and bed! I have heard stories about cats not getting along though, it might depend on your breed of cat, gender, age and if it's desexed or not.

Unread 07-07-2008   #5 (permalink)
marta

Go for it..like you read on the last post it is up to the individual cat but even if they are indifferent to each other they can coexist...we have 11 now, different natures, different ages but all neutered (that is most important)
If you get your new from a shelter take along a piece fabric and rub it on the cat you choose, then take it back to the house and leave it whre the resident cat will sniff it. He'll hiss at first but that's normal. Give him a treat after he sniffed the blanket so that he associates the new cat smell with something good. And when you bring in the new one keep them separate for at least two weeks or more (I have them separate for 3 wks), let them play footsie under the door and sniff each other gradually. Don't get discouraged b/c one or both hisses at the other, it'll pass.
Unless the resident cat is very laid back (one of ours is, we could bring a monster he doesn't care) Cuddle your resident cat lots so he doesn't feel left out..good luck aqnd keep us updated

Unread 07-12-2008   #6 (permalink)
Zayenah

Females are often more territorial than males and can take longer to adjust to a new addition. If you bring in a neutered male, that would probably be easier to introduce, but do it slowly.

Tags
addition , adopted , age , another cat , breed , care , cat , cats , desexed , female , food , hey , hiss , home , house , indoor , kitten , love , male , new cat , play , present , problem , resident cat , shelter , siblings , smell , stories , struggle , territorial

Sponsored Cat Links