It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-25-2009   #1 (permalink)
holetoledo

Question Am I doing the right thing?

I've had my cat for three months (and she is a little bit older than this) and she still keeps me up. She is a nocturnal cat and she plays around when I try to sleep. Today, I moved her to the hallway and I feel so guilty because she used to stay in my room all the time and it's the only thing she knows, but I spent all of this week getting her introduced to the hallway so it's not completely foreign to her. It's not like I'm shutting her out of my room forever, just during the evenings so I can get some sleep. Is this the right thing to do?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-26-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

How is she handling it?

Does she have everything she needs in this hallway? Safety? Toys, bed, something to jump up on or climb on, litter box, water bowl?

That's the thing about kittens, they just go and go and go and go.

You need your rest, and time will take care of the energizer bunny kitten and she will learn to sleep when you do, providing she gets enough stimulation and attention from you at other times.

I suggest you engage in a vigorous interactive play session with her every night,, and put down a snack, just before you go to bed and shut your door. this way she will associate that time of night with good things.

If she is alone much of the day, she may need two play sessions at night. One way to keep her from sleeping too much or being bored during the day is to put a bird feeder outside one of your windows. She will have plenty to keep her busy and stimulated druing the day, then. I call this "cat TV".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-26-2009   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

observe if you baby is doing great in the hallway...
if she is not maybe you find other option for her...
just provide her all she needs when she is in the hallway...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 01-26-2009   #4 (permalink)
holetoledo

Well, she started pacing the hallway after she noticed that I wasn't going to open the door anytime soon, and then she started yowling and I didn't know what to do so I took her back in the room.

Unread 01-26-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Oh, that's better. Pls be patient!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-26-2009   #6 (permalink)
holetoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
Oh, that's better. Pls be patient!
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic. T_T

Unread 01-27-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I'm not sarcastic, I'm serious!!!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 01-27-2009   #8 (permalink)
portrait priestess

i was going to say try to be patient also... young furkids are much like human babies... they have needs and don't always "get" your schedule... maybe a nice wild round of play with her before bedtime?

Unread 01-27-2009   #9 (permalink)
holetoledo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
I'm not sarcastic, I'm serious!!!
Don't be angry, I was getting mixed messages by your eye rollin' smiley.

Unread 01-28-2009   #10 (permalink)
draconvarie

I can sympathize. We have two indoor kitties, one 8, one 9. They were kittens once too. Now we have a new roommate with two dogs and our kitties stay in our bedroom. It's a very large bedroom with a walk-in closet and a bathroom and everything so they have plenty of room. However, even though they are not kittens anymore, they have taken to running back and forth and playing all night again. They will adjust as they get used to the situation and settle back down again. Your little kitten will calm down eventually too. Be patient.

I know what it's like to go without sleep. It's hard.

Playing with her when you can during the day is also a splendid idea.

Best of luck to you.

Tags
age , angry , babies , baby , box , calm , care , cat , children , dogs , eye , great , hey , indoor , kittens , kitties , litter , litter box , loving , mat , nice , night , play , playing , sleep , sleeping , toys , water , wild , yowling

Sponsored Cat Links