It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-16-2009   #1 (permalink)
vampyra1

Question Cat not eating?

Hey guys, I'm having a wee bit of trouble with baby Sabo.

I just got him recently, he was a stray. He is a kitten, vet says about 5 months old.

So far, he only eats 1/4 of a 3oz can and 1/3 c dry kitten food at meal times (morning and night). He doesn't eat it all, either. A tiny 3 oz can will probably last 3 days.

This seems like a small amount to me, especially regarding the chart on the can or bag.

I've tried different brands of pet food and he'll eat them all, just not much. I haven't tried grocery store brands because I want to feed baby Sabo the best.

Dry food I've tried:
Wellness
Organix
Newman's own

Wet food I've tried:
Newman's own
Organix
Fancy feast (although not the greatest, I'd like to keep him away from these)
Science diet

Do you guys think its probably because I use healthy brands and there is more nutrition in a smaller amount of food?

Any help would be appreciated, i'm pretty cat clueless!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road
Default That is a worry I know

Hi, sorry no-one has responded to your post, it must have got missed for some reason . You must be worried about little Sabo, it certainly doesn't sound a lot for him to be eating at his age - they normally eat such a lot when they are babies - a little but often. I don't know the brands you mention as they are not UK brands, however I believe you get what you pay for so I'm sure they are very nutritious.

I had a similar problem many years ago when Ben and Tippy were kittens and it was a real case of trial and error until I found some that they liked. But you could also try stimulating his appetite with little bits of fresh chicken and fish in between regular food. Also try having a look at kindyroots post in Say Meow - he has lots of homemade catfood recipes

But do keep an eye on him and seek vets help if he seems to be under the weather at all.

Take care and let us know how it does xx

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampyra1 View Post

I just got him recently, he was a stray. He is a kitten, vet says about 5 months old.

So far, he only eats 1/4 of a 3oz can and 1/3 c dry kitten food at meal times (morning and night). He doesn't eat it all, either. A tiny 3 oz can will probably last 3 days.

This seems like a small amount to me, especially regarding the chart on the can or bag.

I've tried different brands of pet food and he'll eat them all, just not much. I haven't tried grocery store brands because I want to feed baby Sabo the best.

Dry food I've tried:
Wellness
Organix
Newman's own

Wet food I've tried:
Newman's own
Organix
Science diet

Do you guys think its probably because I use healthy brands and there is more nutrition in a smaller amount of food?

2/3 cup of dry food a day is actually quite sufficient. My adult cats who are on special prescription food eat only half a cup of dry food a day, and about 1/8 of a 3 oz can of wet. I also add water to their food.

Does Sabo appear too thin? Does he have normal kitten energy? a five month old kitten should go and go and go.

How are his litter box habits?

If his weight, energy and litter box habits are normal, then he is getting enough to eat.

Don't leave un eaten food down. when he walks away from his dish pick it up and throw leftovers away, and rinse the dish in very hot water. Clean dishes are important as food (both wet and dry) leaves a residue on the dish that turns rancid, and grows bacteria.

It's good you are feeding on a schedule rather than free feeding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:

Dry food I've tried:
Wellness
Organix
Newman's own

Wet food I've tried:
Newman's own
Organix
Science diet

1/3 cup twice a day (2/3 cup total) of dry food a day is actually quite sufficient. My adult cats who are on special prescription food eat only half a cup of dry food a day, and about 1/8 of a 3 oz can of wet. I also add water to their food.

Does Sabo appear too thin? Does he have normal kitten energy? a five month old kitten should go and go and go.

If his weight, energy and litter box habits are normal, then he is getting enough to eat.

Don't leave un eaten food down. when he walks away from his dish pick it up and throw leftovers away, and rinse the dish in very hot water. Clean dishes are important as food (both wet and dry) leaves a residue on the dish that turns rancid, and grows bacteria.

Unread 04-21-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I have tried and tried to post a reply but the forum won't let my psot go through, though it is harmless and good advice.

so I've sent it via private message.

Now I will try to put my reply in edit, instead. what a pain in the neck

Quote:

Dry food I've tried:
Wellness
Organix
Newman's own

Wet food I've tried:
Newman's own
Organix
Science diet

2/3 cup of dry food a day is actually quite sufficient. My adult cats who are on special prescription food eat only half a cup of dry food a day, and about 1/8 of a 3 oz can of wet. I also add water to their food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 04-21-2009 at 05:34 PM. Reason: gonna try again
Unread 04-21-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi, sorry that we weren't able to give you prompt reply, I also don't know why I missed your post ??
Anyway, my Princess Tiger had similar problem which I classified it as being very picky from beginning. Still there are a few paricular brands that she liked. I tried Fancy Feast (dry and wet) and she liked it. She used to be under the weather and gained not enough weight, but she's okay now, weighing about 3 kg as an adult kitty, considered healthy enough...
So, why not try to try more brands and do the appetite test (I even kept records about what she likes/hates)..

Last edited by Irene Jims; 04-21-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Unread 04-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
vampyra1

Red face thanks!

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Sabotage is doing a little bit better. He eats all of his food now. Still not enough, I don't think, but at least he eats it all.

I have bought about 20 different brands/flavors to see what he likes. He wolfed down Organix turkey and brown rice yesterday so I'm assuming he likes that one!

Do you think if I got rid of the dry food altogether that he'll eat more wet?

Unread 04-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hi there, I'm glad Sabo is eating a bit better now! Personally I ilke to give mine a mix of dry and wet food.

I know experts say that dry is meant to be better, but I think it's a bit boring so I give them a bit of wet food for variety and dry food to help their teeth and gums - just don't leave too much of either down once Sabo has eaten and hopefully you will find it all goes. Hope it works!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 04-23-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmithy View Post
Hi there, I'm glad Sabo is eating a bit better now! Personally I ilke to give mine a mix of dry and wet food.

I know experts say that dry is meant to be better, but I think it's a bit boring so I give them a bit of wet food for variety and dry food to help their teeth and gums
- just don't leave too much of either down once Sabo has eaten and hopefully you will find it all goes. Hope it works!
Mine too. They love varieties. But still, dry is their main food.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 04-23-2009 at 02:28 AM.
Unread 04-23-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I also change it from time to time

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
adult , advice , age , baby , box , brown , care , cat , cats , clean , diet , dry , dry food , eating , eye , fish , food , found , free , healthy , hey , kitten , kitten food , kittens , litter , litter box , meow , morning , night , not eating , nutrition , pet , pet food , problem , small , stray , turkey , vet , water , weight , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links