It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-29-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

luvscats09 is on a distinguished road
Default Question

Toby is a bit thin and I would like to fatten him up. A little about his back ground. The girl I got him from found the litter of kittens abandoned and hand raised them. He is supposed to be 8 weeks old. I'm not sure about that. He looks a bit big for 8 weeks but he's got long legs and big feet, so maybe he is.
She said she'd been feeding him meow mix, what I don't know, is if it was adult food and I kind of suspect it was. I now have him on meow mix for kittens, but would like to ultimately get him on a higher quality food. Do you think adding some kitten milk replacement to his food would help him gain weight? His back bone and hips are very prominent.

Talk to you later,
Lori
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I'm not sure, but I bet others will have the answer. I think it would be wise of you to switch to high quality food, they have more of the right nutritions Could I ask for a pic?
Unread 06-29-2009   #3 (permalink)
meetthemews

Hi Lori,

You could try Eukanuba Chicken Formula Kitten Food. But I know there are supplements you can mix into wet food, but I would ask a vet before you do that since he is so young. Have you brought him to the vet? There may be another reason he is thin.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-29-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetthemews View Post
Hi Lori,

You could try Eukanuba Chicken Formula Kitten Food. But I know there are supplements you can mix into wet food, but I would ask a vet before you do that since he is so young. Have you brought him to the vet? There may be another reason he is thin.
That's true. Also check him for worms and remember to have him dewormed.
Unread 06-29-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Have you tried canned wet food? My Cami was underweight when we adopted her and the vet told me to feed her half a can of wet food per day (1/4 in the morning, 1/4 in the evening) she is now up to a normal weight for her age and size. You could supplement a bit with kitten milk, mix a bit in with the wet food. I am sure this will help fill Toby out, it certainly worked for Cami
Unread 06-29-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi Lori, yeah, I also think Toby is a bit skinny. I agree that you take him to the vet first before altering his food. You're right, he must have kitten food instead of adult food. I don't know if you can get Choice (my favorite kitten food). Oh of course, I also give them additional nutrition from vitamin drops, canned wet food and Gerber's baby food (chicken paste). Is he peeing and pooing normally ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-29-2009   #7 (permalink)
JamJam

We had a persian stray come in about a week ago. I thought she was 3 weeks but the vet told me she was 8 weeks! She was extremely thin! We wormed her and added a milk supplement to her food and she is already nearing her recomended weight for her age. Please note this was done on our vets advice

Unread 06-29-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

luvscats09 is on a distinguished road

I do need to take him to the vet for a check up and was thinking about trying to get that done this week some time. He is peeing and pooing regularly but his poos have been a little loose. Not diarrhea though. She had just switched his food. I don't think she gradually did it though, just put him on a different brand.
She also dewormed them.

He's very playful and acts like a normal kitten.

All the kittens were thin and her cat that she has had was also very thin especially for a main coon. Maybe not being fed enough? In my experience, cats don't usually over eat, so I always keep the food dish full. Our dog, on the other hand would eat and eat and eat. LOL

Thanks for the help.

To the person who asked for a picture, I have another post titled Our new furbaby with his picture.

Lori
Unread 06-30-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Arrow

The best is to take him to the vet's. He/she will prescribe exactly what kind of food Toby needs. Pls keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-30-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvscats09 View Post
I do need to take him to the vet for a check up and was thinking about trying to get that done this week some time. He is peeing and pooing regularly but his poos have been a little loose. Not diarrhea though. She had just switched his food. I don't think she gradually did it though, just put him on a different brand.
She also dewormed them.

He's very playful and acts like a normal kitten.

All the kittens were thin and her cat that she has had was also very thin especially for a main coon. Maybe not being fed enough? In my experience, cats don't usually over eat, so I always keep the food dish full. Our dog, on the other hand would eat and eat and eat. LOL

Thanks for the help.

To the person who asked for a picture, I have another post titled Our new furbaby with his picture.

Lori
You're right, NORMALLY cats will not overeat, like my Lady and Princess, but not my Earl Blue... exceptionally he has to be schedule fed. That's why my female cats are both slim, especially Lady, I think she's a bit thin. But Maine Coons are usually bigger cats. Undernourished can be the reason why all her cats are thinner.

Oh yes, switching cat's food needs to be done gradually, always start to mix the old with the new, and gradually reduce the amount of the old, adding the amount of the new. Hopefully this will prevent loose poop.

Tags
adult , advice , age , antibiotics , art , baby , canned food , cat's , diarrhea , diet , dog , fast , female , food , free , funny , girl , great , hey , indoor , joy , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitties , love , maine coon , meow , neuter , nutrition , peeing , persian , person , picture , pictures , poop , raw , royal , soft paws , stray , turkey , vet , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links