Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum

Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/)
-   Cat Chat (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/cat-chat/)
-   -   She's Here! I'm a Cat Owner Now! (http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/cat-chat/54147-shes-here-im-cat-owner.html)

GraceT 07-12-2009 04:07 PM

She's Here! I'm a Cat Owner Now!

2 Attachment(s)
Or, more appropriately, now officially owned by a cat :D

She was brought here by her previous owner yesterday around noon, and seemed to feel right at home! She is adjusting very well, and an absolute doll. I have to say, she spends about every waking moment purring. The moment I walk close to her, she starts rumbling like a machine, and when I reach down to pet her, she'll purr harder and rub up against my hand. If I stop too soon, she'll put a paw on my hand as if to say "don't stop now!". If I go over to her while she eats, she'll try to purr and eat at the same time. I don't think I've ever met such a sweet or social cat.

She's eating well and has used her litter box a few times and has made my closet her little home. I do not know cats at all, and am not sure how I can tell whether or not she is feeling anxious or tense. Any help here?

Also, I introduced her to my puppy dog! He's around 4 months old and likes to chase anything that moves, but only so he can make a new friend and playmate. The previous owner of the cat also mentioned that she also has two dogs of her own, so the cat is very used to dogs.

First, I asked my dog to go into his crate while the room was empty. Then, I brought in the cat and let her explore while my dog (Trent) watched her. He did bark a few times, and then just sat down and looked at her. She didn't seem to care about him at all.

Then, I took the cat out for a few moments, and let Trent out of his crate. I put him in a "sit, stay", and then told him to "leave it". I kept a tight hold on his collar just in case and was petting him. Then, I had the cat brought in and she sniffed noses with Trent, and went off to the closet again. Trent did better than I thought he would, and seems to like her. I think the two might get along! Of course, I would never leave them alone together. Trent is not allowed to roam the house at any rate - when we are not watching him, he is in his crate.

Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong!

Now, for names - right now, we are calling her Bree. However, we are also toying with
- Callie
- Whisper
- Haley
- Sasha (my sister's favorite)
- Chloe (another one of my sister's favs).

supersmithy 07-12-2009 04:12 PM

Well done Grace, soon you will be a cats slave :D:D She sure is a lovely kitty

I think you are doing everything right from the sounds of it. As she is eating and using her littler tray and not hiding away it sounds as though she is settling in really well.

As for names - well I'm biased as I also have a Sasha, but I also like Callie and Chloe

KatrineA 07-12-2009 04:49 PM

I like Haley :D She's gorgeous. Concats! I can't see anything wrong in what you are doing :) Remember to go for high quality food :)

Irene Jims 07-12-2009 07:14 PM

Aaaawww ... she's finally home !! Concats ! :D
I see you are alert in what you are doing. Keep it up ! :)
As for her name -- Chloe sounds sweet. ;)

PantherPride 07-12-2009 08:03 PM

Hi, welcome to the forums :)

if she was de clawed by her previous owner remember that if you get a second cat, that cat doesn't need to be de clawed also, thats a myth. if she is clawed do not de claw, its a cruel, awful thing people do to cats. A good sturdy rough scratching post is all you need. Keep indoor, esspeically if de clawed already

Good foods are Innova EVO, Instincts,wellness,natures logic. :) Canned is better then dry

Good luck with her.:cool:

GraceT 07-12-2009 08:32 PM

Thanks everyone!

I understand that high quality food is very important, and always pay attention to what I feed my pets. My dog currently eats Orijen Large Breed Puppy, and the store where I buy his food also carries Orijen for cats. I know it's considered a high quality food for dogs, but how about for cats? My dog does fantastic on it.

She will be a strictly indoor only cat. I don't think my overly protective fur-mommy instincts would let me ever have an outdoor cat! She has been declawed already by her previous owner, and though I am completely against taking such drastic and cruel measures for the convenience of the owners, there is nothing I can do now except make sure her quality of life is as good as can be. Now, another cat is the last thing I'm thinking about, but right now I'm so impressed and in love with this kitty - who knows? ;)

krzekmaya 07-13-2009 02:55 AM

CONCATS FOR THE NEW ADDITION! She's a beautiful girl!!! :mrgreen:

che 07-13-2009 06:16 AM

Hi Grace,and welcome home "Bree"
Well she is stunning dear,glad the introduction went smoothly.
I like Callie and Haley.Whisper is nice too.Any pics of Trent?xxxxx

GraceT 07-13-2009 01:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone! Day 3 now and she's still as sweet as can be, going around and charming the entire family. Last night, Trent and Bree both slept on my bed! Halfway through the night, Bree decided to go back to her closet to sleep on the suitcases, and what do you know, Trent followed her and plopped down to sleep on the floor in front of the closet.

Irene Jims 07-13-2009 01:40 PM

Aaaawwww !! How wonderful and exciting these 3 days are for you and for us here ! :D Glad that they get so close to each other and to you too ! :)

Looking at Bree's pictures is like looking at my own cat, Lady Fergie, she's the only cat at home who is very interested in my closet too--she will try her best to dig into it. The funny thing is, Lady is also a Tuxedo (DSH) !! :p