It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Dressing cats

I don't need to "accessorize" my cats to make them look cute.

They provide all the joy and love and pleasure I need just from being themselves.

They are beautiful just the way there are.

The only thing they ever "wear" are their harnesses when I take them out to their yard. And they love those harnesses, because it means they are going out into their yard.

I don't think they look cute in their harnesses and would much rather they didn't wear them at all but I can't take a chance. The harnesses have a practical purpose, they hold the long attached rope behind that would allow me to stop them if they should try to slip the gate.

They don't try, but for their own safety and my peace of mind they wear them. So I know cats can adjust to anything their human asks of them.

But In My Opinion, dressing cats is unnecessary, undignified and not in the cat's best interest.

When I was a little girl I had dolls. And I loved dressing my dolls. I would save my allowance and buy dolls clothes. But my cats are not dolls, they are living breathing creatures and don't need clothes.

Some people may be "responsible" when they dress their cats and keep watch over them and take the clothes off before going in another room or leaving the house. Others will think oh how cute, walk off and forget the cat until she breaks her neck or strangles getting hung up on some dress, or goes outside and get stuck on something and starves to death or gets eaten by a predator.

For those of you who disagree with me, feel free to share your opinions in this thread. But none of your remarks about "trying it" is going to change my mind. I'm not going to "try" dressing my cats to see if they like it because I think dressing animals is wrong and makes them look silly and uncomfortable.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

PS I am not calling those of you who dress your cats bad pet owners. I know you love your pets just as much as I love mine.

This thread is not meant to be taken personally by anyone.

It is, simply, an invitation to discussion about why people want to dress their cats, and why other people think it's wrong.

So, I guess that's what I'm wondering, for those of you who dress and "accessorize" your cats.

Why?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I had a body suit on my Anastasia given by my vet after she was spayed. She did try to get out of it three times and halfway succeeded. She would have succeded if I wasn't around or the bf. I tied the body tighter around her each time. Still she managed to almost get out of it. So she was probably not comfortable in it.
I think one should see it as a sign of them being uncomfortable, if they try to get out of their clothes or if it's a struggle to put them on.

I do recommend that cats wear something like that after surgery to prevent infections, but I wanted to make a point: That cats don't usually like wearing anything else but their own coat. So why bother? They are just beautiful the way they are
Unread 07-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

The only thing I ever put on my cats are their collars, or a harness to go outside. I think in some cases, if the cats do like wearing such things, I'd leave it alone. My Cami loves to have ribbon draped around her neck (never tied-just in case), she will strut and prance, showing it all off. I would never try clothing on her, but I am sure she would love it if I did.
So, it's a personal preference. Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. Some cats actually DO like wearing clothing, and if so, why not? I'd gladly have my cat wear a sweater, especially in winter, since it can get pretty darn cold here! That, to me, is in my cat's best interest, to be warm..
Although I can definitely see your point, Acer, I don't agree with it.
Unread 07-23-2009   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

I have never dressed any of mine either.
(Except when I was a little girl and I tried to put a dolls dress on Tiger,he was not happy at all,bless him.)

I don't even put a collar on them any more after Marley had an accident with one.xxxxx
Unread 07-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hohoho !! I'm bold enough to speak up before my respected guru, Acer !

I even have seen a neighbor's dog wearing shoes (all four) when they walk that dog !! I asked them why, coz I notice the dog walks so freely.. then they said it's to avoid getting muddy feet on the floor when they get home ! Can you believe that ? Even me, I can't believe it myself !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-23-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thank you all for your replies.

Irene of course I want you to feel free to speak up, if you disagree with me. I have a great respect for you and your opinions and knowledge, as I know you do for mine.

It's why I started this thread, for people to speak out about their opinions on this subject.

To some, it's not a big issue. To me it is.

(By the way, when I had my beagle dog Nikki, in the winter I had to walk her in town. She wore boots sometimes, to protect her feet from all the salt on the sidewalks. It was for her benefit, not mine. )

Unread 07-23-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I do put boots on my dog during winter time, sometimes during summer as well, if the ground is too hot. I only put things on my pets that are necessary (collars, harness, boots to protect the paws, etc) I do have halloween costumes I will put on them, come halloween time. I've dressed Lily up on holidays since I got her, she loves it!
I say it's more of a personal preference. If your pet enjoys it, I say go for it. If your pet seems uncomfortable, or dislikes it, don't do it.
Unread 07-24-2009   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

AbstractDr3ams is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to AbstractDr3ams

I guess I have to say if a owner is doing it with the cat objecting than I disagree, but typically cats do defy the characteristics they are given. My cat loves water, will go as far as to jump in my dish water, and my bath tub. Bathing her is NEVER an issue. I dreaded it due to the common knowledge that cats hated water. All my fear was for nothing in my case luckily. Point being, all cats are different, I try not to form a over all opinion on a subject when that subject has different variables to consider. I guess I look at the entire picture because forming an opinion on issues can be tricky when not every situation is the same. My cat hates clothes, lovesssss cat collars and jumps into large amounts of water without a moment of hesitation! She is not the normal cat, why she is not just a cat to me, she is a part of our family <3 I guess I am just a live and let live kind of women haha
Unread 07-24-2009   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

sara-satellite is on a distinguished road

Well we all know the reason this thread was started is because of me and my post. I could sit here and argue my case all day long, but unfortunately some people are just stubborn and refuse to even see a side of a person's case.

Every human lives their lifestyle and you may not agree with the way they live their life. Well, the same holds true for pets and their owners. Personally, I think there are much bigger problems that we and our pets face in the world. Let's argue sanitation in the home. Let's argue debates regarding those who don't take their pets to the vet enough or at the right times. Let's argue debates about improper shelter care.

QUOTE: Some people may be "responsible" when they dress their cats and keep watch over them and take the clothes off before going in another room or leaving the house.

Stop being so antagonistic. By using responsible in quotes is clearly a stab at specific people, regardless of you not saying so. It's obvious to the regular readers.

QUOTE: Others will think oh how cute, walk off and forget the cat until she breaks her neck or strangles getting hung up on some dress, or goes outside and get stuck on something and starves to death or gets eaten by a predator.

You are quite melodramatic. Always worst-case scenario. Let's look at your statement for a minute. "Forget the cat". Okay so if the owner is forgetting the cat, aren't they irresponsible regardless? Maybe these same people also "forgot to feed" the cat. Now let's take clothes out of the scenario. This same person still "forgets the cat" and that cat gets run over by a car in the street in front of the house. The point is irresponsibility of an owner can not be controlled. Taking clothes out of the picture isn't going to change that. If an owner is responsible, then I would just leave it be.

QUOTE: But none of your remarks about "trying it" is going to change my mind. I'm not going to "try" dressing my cats to see if they like it because I think dressing animals is wrong and makes them look silly and uncomfortable.

No one ever asked you to try it. Some of us are just sharing photos of our cats having fun who DO happen to enjoy wearing clothes. Some people like to buy hundreds of dollars of fashion designer wear, are you there to post on their forum "I think you're wasting money with clothes that are clearly uncomfortable"? No. In reality you would be better off in the prevention of the use of animal fur forums. Now that's an issue we should worry about and fight against.

Enough with the "you're wrong" statements. It just makes you seem close-minded. Not all cats are uncomfortable. You are not able to speak for every cat. You may, however, speak for your cats.

Thank you for letting me feel free to express myself.

Tags
adult , aggressive , another cat , art , attack , baby , birds , boy , business , care , cat , cat lovers , cat's , cats , classic , collar , computer , crazy , cut , cute , defensive , eyes , fashion , found , friends , fun , girl , great , happy , heat , hey , home , house , joy , kittens , kitty , litter , lost , love , mat , morning , moving , neutering , new cats , opinion , outdoor , pictures , play , problem , problems , save , shelter , shoes , silly , struggle , suggestions , surgery , uncomfortable , weight , why? , worry

Sponsored Cat Links