It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-26-2009   #11 (permalink)
harleyjane

Hi and Welcome. I'm not an expert on a 'declawed cat', but my reacently departed Harley, of 10 yrs was a declaw, indoor only, nuetered male, blk/gry tabby. And I can swear to the fact, my Harley was a true Boy!! - Despite the above!'

After my Mom passed, I inherited some of her 'off the beaten track' furniture, which only made my trips home from Europe & South Africa - to her home, to cuddle up in the high back chairs a complete luxury for me to be in. Comfort from yrs gone past.....

I did have my my Harley cat declawed @ his age of 4. I know this is a hot topic, but I did, & my Harley was fine. I was the one freaking out!! After +/- 3 wks, he was so better. At that time, I started letting him go out into 'his rooms' & he kept jumping on his little gym as I thought he would. In fact he was fine, able to jump into his indoor gym (built with lattice & a few dead trees that had made platforms for him to climb on/jump/ off/to & he was in love. In the summer, he only played/stayed out in his big room.(+/- 10f x 14f - a big enclosed area- even for Harley's standards! Even @ 4 yrs, he'd forgotten he ever had front claws. --- Now just wait!, give me a chance to talk, ok?

So, everyone is different on this subjet, everyone has an opnion, that's why we are here.

I only offer my experience with declawing my Harley in 2004.

Also I can tell you that on 7/7/09, when I had DR Reed come to my place for 'home euthanisa', it was my Harley's back claws that left a memorial lashing/scar, which is fine with me. None can take 10 yrs of memories away from me & Harley. How fitting that he just had to 'get' me with his back claws?!?

Anyway, that's my story. Don't hate me for my choices. My Harley was fine. Cancer took him in the end, declawed or not.

LOL, harleyjane

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-26-2009   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

No I don't hate you Jane, I still love you and Harley as ever. But for myself, I am AGAINST cat declawing !!

And I also got a scar from Lady's back claws when I tried to get her spayed ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-26-2009   #13 (permalink)
Newborn

Location: Originally from Northern VA, I now live in Georgia.
malondeedee is on a distinguished road

to harleyjane,
i appreciate your story. I also lost my boy about two years ago. his name was Mr. Peach and he was grouchy and mean to everyone but me. he decided to come live with us after his dog friend died (they both lived across the street) according to his owner he lied on the dogs grave for three days before crossing the street and taking up residence. The owner saw how happy he was with me and let me keep him. I had him from the time we were both 11 (we just happend to be born the same year ) until he had to be put down at the age of 17.
peach was also declawed to no apparent ill effects. and im glad to hear that harley was ok even when he was declawed so late... i guess it truly depends on the cat.
Unread 07-26-2009   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malondeedee View Post
to harleyjane,
i appreciate your story. I also lost my boy about two years ago. his name was Mr. Peach and he was grouchy and mean to everyone but me. he decided to come live with us after his dog friend died (they both lived across the street) according to his owner he lied on the dogs grave for three days before crossing the street and taking up residence. The owner saw how happy he was with me and let me keep him. I had him from the time we were both 11 (we just happend to be born the same year ) until he had to be put down at the age of 17.
peach was also declawed to no apparent ill effects. and im glad to hear that harley was ok even when he was declawed so late... i guess it truly depends on the cat.
Your boy Mr. Peach sounds very sweet ! I'm sorry you lost him... If I were you, I will also take him in... such a good boy !
You're right about that. And what has been done cannot be undone (that's why I said I still love you all - I know you're terrific meowmy who always want the best for your babies), but I still don't want to risk what type of cat I have or what they might become ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 07-26-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Unread 07-26-2009   #15 (permalink)
harleyjane

Hey Irene,
You know, you are so wise on these kitty issues, somehow, I feel, when I read sometihing on forum, I shouldn't reply, but I do, & that's the forum. We all feel what we feel. There is no right or wrong at the Rainbow Bridge. I am so grateful that I found you guys a few weeks before my Harley went. And I'd like to continute here to offer my experiences/knowledge on whatever, just as a novice, but a Cat Lover - all the same. We can't have to many of them can we???!
LOL, harleyjane

God speed to all of you in distress, loving a kit, always. I'm there, trying to readjust my life, and it is not easy!! (Don't know where the panel of smilies went, but "surprize/confused/wink/smile/sad!"
LOL, harleyjane

Unread 07-26-2009   #16 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

declawing is a very touchy subject that we can keep arguing about yet not be able to come to a truce One thing I know for sure is that even though many cats will eventually be OK after being declawed, there is a number of cats that have been affected by the trauma to a great extent that they can't fully recover. My heart goes out to those poor cats, even though the number may be small, you never know if that will happen to your cat. My in-laws had their cats declawed when they were little and they were fine and managed to live till the age of 14. However, if you asked me whether I would have my furry's claws pulled out, my answer is a definite No because it is not necessary and my cat shouldn't go through that. There are many ways to work with cats to stop scratching things we don't want them to scratch. Declawing may seem like an easy way out, but the little ones don't deserve it for our own convenience.

Neutering and spaying are probably equally painful to cats as declawing, but those are necessary in order to keep the cat population under control. So even though it's sad that they have to undergo the procedure, it is for their own good.

I'd say declawing is only necessary if their claws are in some way hurting them and removing them is the only solution to resolve the pain, otherwise, a trimmer is a much much better choice.

- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies

~|
|~
Unread 07-26-2009   #17 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjane View Post
Hey Irene,
You know, you are so wise on these kitty issues, somehow, I feel, when I read sometihing on forum, I shouldn't reply, but I do, & that's the forum. We all feel what we feel. There is no right or wrong at the Rainbow Bridge. I am so grateful that I found you guys a few weeks before my Harley went. And I'd like to continute here to offer my experiences/knowledge on whatever, just as a novice, but a Cat Lover - all the same. We can't have to many of them can we???!
LOL, harleyjane

God speed to all of you in distress, loving a kit, always. I'm there, trying to readjust my life, and it is not easy!! (Don't know where the panel of smilies went, but "surprize/confused/wink/smile/sad!"
LOL, harleyjane
I hope your readjustment went well ... so you can start searching for a nice kitten soon ...

Well. i have one advice for you -- if you really want a declawed cat, you can always get it from a shelter (there are many out there - 'abandoned' by their irresponsible owner even after declawing them). Or the best news for me will be : You'll get a brand new one with all claws intact (I remember you mentioned about that too before, hehe !) - and you would train him/her "NOT" to be interested in certain furniture but Harley's indoor gym. Oh how lucky Harley is to have his own personal gym... Any pic of it ?

Unread 07-26-2009   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemeow View Post
declawing is a very touchy subject that we can keep arguing about yet not be able to come to a truce One thing I know for sure is that even though many cats will eventually be OK after being declawed, there is a number of cats that have been affected by the trauma to a great extent that they can't fully recover. My heart goes out to those poor cats, even though the number may be small, you never know if that will happen to your cat. My in-laws had their cats declawed when they were little and they were fine and managed to live till the age of 14. However, if you asked me whether I would have my furry's claws pulled out, my answer is a definite No because it is not necessary and my cat shouldn't go through that. There are many ways to work with cats to stop scratching things we don't want them to scratch. Declawing may seem like an easy way out, but the little ones don't deserve it for our own convenience.

Neutering and spaying are probably equally painful to cats as declawing, but those are necessary in order to keep the cat population under control. So even though it's sad that they have to undergo the procedure, it is for their own good.

I'd say declawing is only necessary if their claws are in some way hurting them and removing them is the only solution to resolve the pain, otherwise, a trimmer is a much much better choice.
Thanks Amy ! That's also what I have been telling people ! I'd rather learn how to train them and how to trim their nails than seeing them suffer or taking the unknown risk what they will become ...

Unread 07-26-2009   #19 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjane View Post
Hey Irene,
LOL, harleyjane

LOL, harleyjane
I'm so grateful too that you found us here, so we could start to build a true cat-lover true friendship in good times or in bad times ! LOVE YOU, HARLEYJANE !

Unread 07-26-2009   #20 (permalink)
harleyjane

Just a quick comment. A card that I received fm my best girlfiends Mom, whom sent a memorial donation to the Memphis Humane Society, in loving memory of Harley, in Memphis, Tn ... anyway I called her today to express my thanks, only to have her (78YRS & all faculties) tell me, that earlier in the week, she took her loved Miss Pearl, seal point Hymalayan - sp- in for the annual check up, & after the vet gave the "annual injections", Miss Pearl is now in liver distress & on IV. What's up with that. Miss Betty has used the same vet for close to 30 yrs. What's up with that??

harleyjane

Tags
age , aggressive , animal , another cat , attack , attacking , baby , behavior issues , behaviour , birds , birth , bite , box , boy , breeders , car , care , carpet , cat , cats , claws , color , cool , crazy , cut , cute , eye , eyes , fashion , fip , foster , found , fur , furniture , girl , great , growls , happy , hey , home , house , hurt , indoor , interesting , jumping , kittens , kitty , laser , legal , links , lost , love , loving , male , mat , mating , medical , moving , neuter , neutering , opinion , outdoor , pee , pet food , photos , play , playing , poop , prayers , prize , problems , sad , scared , search , sex , shelter , small , smart , soft paws , spay , story , surgery , tabby , type , vaccine , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links