It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-08-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Kristy_Cash is on a distinguished road
Default A few questions!

Hey Guys and Gals, so I have a few questions for you. I had my cat neuteured a month ago and so far he has shown no signs of slowing down at all, he's still an absolute terror when he wants to play, biting, jumping, scratching, attacking and im wondering at what age they start to calm down a little (he's turning 1 this month). My next question is he's always so bored even though he has every toy imaginable, what sort of activities can I do to satisfy him during play time and help tire him out? My third question is when he\s bad we've tried everything from taking a strong stance and saying "pst!", to flicking him in the nose, to spraying him with a spray bottle, what sort of actions do i use for him to know the behaivour isnt going to be tolerated? He really is a sweet thing when he wants to be which is why we\ve decided we will do anything to keep him but some of his behaivour is too hard to deal with. My fourth question is what is the deal with this new laser declawing, has anyone had it done, i refuse to have him declawed if its going to be a painful procedure but im slowly starting to think he should loose his nails if im going to keep my sanity. My last question is I know its very diffficult to stop a cat from urinating once they have started, he sometimes pees on our bed, should I just throw out the blanket and get news ones so stop the behaivour, or is there something else i should try?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-08-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if there is an age that cat's really mellow out! I too have a now 1 year old kit, and he shows no sign of slowing down.
Don't flick your cat in the face, that teaches him nothing, especially not what you want to teach him! The spray bottle and a firm "no" should work. But cats are not dogs, and they don't always listen. For the boredom, do you just give him toys, or do you actually play with him? Having tons of toys is always good, but you should get in there and play with the toys along with your cat.
If you have a string/pole toy, you can walk it around, let your cat "stalk" it. Or buy a simple laser light, and let him chase that (it REALLY wears out my cats-and they love it).
I've never dealt with my cats peeing in the house, so unfortunately I cannot be of any help there
Declawing I won't even go into (I might say something I will surely regret later), I am firm believer in cats NOT being declawed...
Unread 09-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Cats have different personalities, you might just have gotten yourself a very active cat. Many times cats can behave in a more aggressive way if they were taken away from their mum early. The longer they stay, the better they learn social skills.

I got my cat when she was 19 weeks though (I would have gotten her at 12 weeks, had I only known about her earlier, hehe) and she has had some biting issues, she never bit through the skin- still it was quite annoying. She never scratched anything but her scratching posts though.

You should never let your cat bite you. If he bites you, you should walk away and ignore him. Maybe make a little hiss of some sort, then walk away.
Never let your cat play with your hands either, that will confuse him and he'll think of them as toys.

It's easier to teach them to use a scratching post only if you start teaching them at an early age. But still I believe you can make this happen. You just have to be patient, even if it means 6 more months.

A light tap on the nose is acceptable, but nothing harder.

In your case I think it would be wiser to ignore his aggressive behavior, if he starts attacking you. Just walk away from him. Cats hate being ignored. If you spray him in this case, he might associate the spray with you.

If he starts scratching your furniture, you say "no" and take him to the scratching post, then make his paws scratch the post. Lead the paws to the post. He'll get the idea eventually.
To get him to stay off of tables and counters, keep using the water spray.

Now honestly, I believe you mean well for your cat, but I never understand why people would even consider declawing. I'd rather have my cat claw every single furniture I have, even my future expensive ones, than to have my baby declawed.
If my cat had a bad habit of clawing me, I'd rather be precatious and stay patient while trying to teach my cat not to do so. If there is a will there is a way

Last edited by KatrineA; 09-08-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks so much for the ideas so far guys! I also dont like the idea of declawing but I suppose people dont understand just how mean he can get, its a very last resort like i said if there ever was a nice way to do it i might consider it but obviously they were given claws for a reason...now anotheride, do you guys take your cats outside on harnesses for walks...my kitten is an inside apartment cat so im wonderingif going outside would slow him down a little???
Unread 09-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I took care of a stray that used to claw me, but I forgave him everytime.
Now if you take away his claws, it wont solve his aggression problem. He'll just bite you harder and be even more frustrated. Yes, cats do come with claws for a reason.

You could try training him wearing a harness. Just see how he responds to it inside first. He might need to get used to the feeling first.
I've taken my cat outside for walks as have many other members here. I say give it a shot.
Unread 09-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I have to ask: before your cat gets mean as you say, what are you doing? Are you playing too rough, or not giving him any attention at all? One of my cats, Dante, is a major biter. He bites a lot during play, not overly hard, but still biting. I've started saying "ouch!" loudly and pulling my hands/feet away from him when he does this. If he still does it, I simply get up and leave the room. When your kitty does his "mean" spats, you can tell him "no!" and move away from him. It worked for me, hopefully it will work for you!
Regarding his claws, keep them well trimmed, that should help with any scratches he might inflict.
Unread 09-08-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yes, keeping claws trimmed do help a lot too. That's true. It surely feels a lot better when my cat kneads me after I've trimmed her claws.

And there are those things you can put on the claws for protection. What's it called again?
Unread 09-09-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

We've tried using the soft claws plastic nail covers or whatever they are called but they caused some of his nails to split slightly so i've discontinued them until they've grown out a bit. Sometimes he will just attack me as im walking by. at the petstore today they have "calming collars" i wonder what they are like or if they even work, anyone tried one?
Unread 09-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy_Cash View Post
We've tried using the soft claws plastic nail covers or whatever they are called but they caused some of his nails to split slightly so i've discontinued them until they've grown out a bit. Sometimes he will just attack me as im walking by. at the petstore today they have "calming collars" i wonder what they are like or if they even work, anyone tried one?
If he's going after you as you walk by, sounds (to me) like he wants to play more then being mean. Calming collars and calming sprays work differently for each cat, it just depends on the cat. I've used a calming spray during a long car trip recently for my 2 cats. On Cami, there was no affect whatsoever. Dante was a little tense, but after he laid down where I had sprayed (the carpeting on the floor of the backseat) he simply fell asleep for the whole ride. You could try a calming collar, or the Feliway plugs most people here like to use, just be aware that not all cats are affected by it. I still believe your best bet is to play with your cat like crazy, get him good and worn out A tired cat is a good cat!

Tags
age , aggression , aggressive , apartment , art , attack , attacking , baby , behavior , bite , bites , biting , car , care , cat , cat's , cats , claws , crazy , dogs , fur , furniture , hey , hiss , house , kitty , laser , love , nails , nose , peeing , play , playing , scratching , social , stray , toys , training , water

Sponsored Cat Links