It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-12-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Kristy_Cash is on a distinguished road
Default He wont stop peeing on my bed!

I'm so angry guys, I've bought TWO WHOLE NEW SETS OF BEDDING in the past 3 months because my male cat WILL NOT stop peeing on my bed!!!!!!!!! I want to freakin' strangle him, its getting expensive always replacing the bed and bedding!!!! What is his freakin problem and how can I stop it, I\ve used cat sprays, I\ve bought all new things, I\ve caught him in the act and hit him on the bum, what else can I do. I want to keep him but if this keeps up its going to be VERY VERY DIFFICULT to do so!!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-12-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I am sorry you are having this problem. Please don't get angry with him. I understand your frustration but he is trying to tell you something.

When cats don't use the litter box it's for a reason.

Usually health related, have you had him to the vet? The number one reason for inappropriate peeing is Urinary tract infection and/or crystal formation in the urine.

These conditions are very serious in male cats. Male cats can block very easily, and once blocked, they die within 24 hours without emergency vet treatment.

They are very painful and because of the pain, the cat will blame the litter box for the pain, and pee elsewhere. And since he can't tell you he's sick, he pees on your stuff to get your attention that he needs help.

Other reasons for this kind of peeing (if illness has been treated, or ruled out) is:

~not enough litter boxes,
~dirty litter boxes,
~litter boxes in a too busy place.
~Cat dislikes the litter being used,
~cat is under stress (and what stresses a cat may be unnoticed by human)
~Some change in household that causes stress
~cat is not neutered
~strange cat outside causing cat to act territorial

but the very first thing to do is get him to the vet and have his urine checked, (so make sure he has a full bladder when you bring him in)

Once illness is treated or ruled out, we can help you with the other things.

please let us know what happens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-12-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

He\s seen the vet recently and he has been doing this for about 2 months now, we bought him a new litterbox that filters the poop and pee so he has no reason not to use it, we have a small apartment so there arent too many place to put it, and I cant move it to the bathroom because then he will have access to the bedroom again. I read on the internet to spray the bed with lemon juice? He cant feel thretened because we live high up and our neighbours dont have cats and no animals are outside. The only traffic in our apartment is my bf and I. I have no idea, i'm obviously going to take him to the vet but someone told me that they may medicate him for his behaivor, i dont know if i want that?
Unread 09-12-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

What do you mean by 'seen the vet recently'? Do you mean he was at the vet for this problem, or he was in for a check up?

The only way to diagnose a UTI is if the vet takes a urine sample from the cat and tests it.

He obviously does have a reason not to use the box, since he is not using it.

When did you start with the automatic box? When you began using that box did you make the change gradually, by giving him a choice of old box and new box, or did you just switch boxes with no transition? Changes like that can be very upsetting to a cat.

If he doesn't like the new box, he will continue to pee elsewhere.

There are many things that can cause stress to a cat that we humans would not notice. Cats are very sensitive. The tiniest change can upset them. The new litter box is a prime example (if it is new). If there has been any other change in your household, new routine, even a change in the laundry detergent you use could cause your cat stress.

Stress can make a cat sick, and cause him to get a UTI or crystals in his urine.

However, he needs to have his urine checked for infection and crystals. If he is sick, he is in pain.

Medications like amitriptyline may be needed, but is usually a last resort. First, illness has to be ruled out or treated with antibiotics and/or special diet. If he is sick, once he feels better he will most likely return to using the box (unless it is the box that is causing the stress in the first place).

Please try very hard not to yell at him for doing this. He can't help it.

Last edited by acerlt; 09-12-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Unread 09-12-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Please do follow and take note of Acer's advice... She does know very well what she is talking about
Unread 09-13-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

CanadianCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
we bought him a new litterbox that filters the poop and pee so he has no reason not to use it
Some cats are afraid of those types of litter boxes, if they've seen the mechanism move it can spook them. Maybe you should try going back to a plain litter box.

Last edited by CanadianCat; 09-13-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Unread 09-14-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

So i'll be taking him to the vet sometime this week, however i HIGHLY doubt theres something wrong with him physically because this has been going on for a long time and I've ahd a cat with urine crystals before so I kinda know. I bought him a calming collar yesterday, it seems to be working behaivor wise but Im not willing to give him free range of the house again which is sad for me but what else can I do right? I wonder how often these collars have to be changed?
Unread 09-14-2009   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Inspired
katlady is on a distinguished road

I have a male cat that started peeing on my bed but we figured out what the problem was---I had reunited with my husband after a separation and he was put out because of it. He no longer had a spot on the bed to sleep. By the way, he only peed on my husbands side of the bed!!!
Katlady with Sahara, Cutie Pie, Blanca, Hazi, Angel, Uzziel, Uriel, Seraphina, and Ambriel, Callie, Kira, Annabelle, Grayson and Speckles,Angel2, Jezzie, Delihlia, Bathsheba, Houdini, Tempe, Chandler, Peavey, and Mesa, Stevie Ray, Myeta, Cady, Misty, Sandy,
Unread 09-21-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Katlady11 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Katlady11

God you poor thing, I have 11 cats and live in Spain and have never had one pee on the bed. However from experience when I had a male cat that had a problem with crystals he was trying to pee all the time, obviously stressed out from not being able to pee properly. Is your cat squatting down and doing a full pee or is he standing up and spraying the pee around like a tom cat? Do you also leave your clothes on the bed, or bags or anything else, because that can encourage them to pee on the objects? Or even an unmade bed might encourage him. There is a difference between a cat with urinary problems and one that has just decided for whatever reason ( you need to find this reason) to pee somewhere. They are creatures of habit unfortunately, but don't despair and don't get angry with him, he's just a cat and he can't help himself whatever the reason.

Tags
advice , angry , antibiotics , apartment , art , bladder , box , cat , cats , changed , collar , diet , dry , free , health , hey , house , infection , internet , litter , litter box , litter boxes , litterbox , male , needs help , pee , peeing , poop , problem , problems , sad , separation , sick , sleep , small , stop , stress , transition , upset , urine , uti , vet

Sponsored Cat Links