It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-01-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Nickie3 is on a distinguished road
Default Help,harvey want's to get out

Hi evryone,i have a wee problem,i have three kittens in my Apt,Harvey 6 months,Sam 5 months and Ellie 4 months,all strictly indoor cats,duo to busy road in front of the house. Now Harvey is trying to get out alot,i have to be careful to open windows or doors,a few times i caugh him outside and i was lucky to have got him back inside... I dont know why he all of a sudden wants to get out and what i can do to keep him happy inside...
I am starting to feel guilty for keeping him indoors now..He got fixed and micro chiped at the vets two weeks ago..
Does anybody have an idea what to do please,i really dont want them to go out,i would be scared something happen to them,the road is very busy and lots of cruel teenagers hanging around too... { i once lost one of my babys duo to teenagers who hit him till he was so ill that i had to get him to put asleep,even to think back at this is painful.. }

Thank you for any advice,

Nickie3, Harvey,Sam and Ellie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-01-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It will take a little longer for the hormones to leave his system after the neuter. You can get some feliway plug in diffusers to help him feel calm and more content.

Rescue remedy also may help.

If you don't already have one, get a cat tree for him to climb and jump on. Be sure to give him a lot of interactive Game time with you, every day, to keep him exercised and mentally stimulated.

Get a laser pen, most cats love chasing that Red Dot!

You can get a little cat grass kit for him to have some grass to nibble on.

I am sorry for what happened to your other cat. What a terrible thing. Other humans have become the number one reason to keep cats inside, IMO. Abuse and torture is rampant.

There is one other thing that could be done, and that is harness train Harvey and take him out on walks, if you have a little bit of yard. This is time consuming and you ahve to be absolutely certain he cannot slip the harness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-01-2009   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Yes i have the laser point and they love it,but Harvey is getting quiet bored quick,the other two are great with it,we have lots of scratchers,big ones,tall ones... And i do my best to keep him entertained,but still he has the urge to slip out,i havent tried the plug in's yet and will give it a try.. Thanks for the advice..

Also my baby's are very night active,or better very early in the mornning { about four or five in the mornings } they start running around and digging up my plants and destroying other things in the sitting room.. When i keep the room shut during the night,then i have them go crazy in the hall [which is tiny]and in my bedroom... Sometimes its hard to get propper sleep as i am in shift work... I am starting to wonder if my Apt is too small for my gang...
Has anybody got some experience with this kind of problem?
Unread 10-01-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Time will take care of a lot of the night activity. The kittens will grow up, and they will eventually adapt to your schedule. My cats come to bed with me, and sleep with me all night.

With one exception: Tolly waits for me to turn out the light (I usually read in bed for a little while, with Mazy at my neck and Jennie on my legs). When I turn out the light, Tolly starts his own Private Games. He thunders around the apartment singing at the top of his voice, and plays Chase the Fur Mouse Down the Stairs and Bring it Back up and Throw It Down Again. Tolly is just over 10 years old.

I usually fall asleep during that and the next time I wake he is curled up sound asleep in my arms.

It sounds like you have plenty of stimulation and elevated spaces for the cats. If he gets bored with the laser, don't bring it out all the time. I rotate certain toys. Do you have any string on a stick toys? My cats love those, but they do get bored with them, so I rotate them. (Each wand toy has a different thing on the end. Feather, cat nip bag, fleece string)

Also, crumpled paper balls are a big hit here, too. I use the envelopes with the cellophane windows, that bills and junk mail come it. They are nice and crinkly, the cats love them! I throw them and the cats chase them down, or leap and catch them, bat them around, shred them, and so on.

Card Board Box Forts, And Newspaper Tents are also popular. The cats have three Box Forts, and like the string on a stick toys, I rotate them (they only have one at a time)

Stay firm with Harvey. He will eventually get over his fussing to go out.

The feliway plug in diffusers or rescue remedy, or both, can help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 10-02-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

thank you so so much for youre advice and support,good to hear that others have simular experience. Thx so much,i really glad to get some support here.

Nickie3 Harvey,Sam and Ellie

Tags
advice , apartment , art , baby , bat , bills , box , calm , care , cat , cat nip , cats , crazy , fixed , fur , game , games , great , happy , hey , house , indoor , kittens , laser , lost , love , lucky , mouse , neuter , nice , night , problem , rescue , scared , sleep , small , toys , wake

Sponsored Cat Links