It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-18-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Nickie3 is on a distinguished road
Question urinating on my laundry

Hi everyone,i have a problem with my 7 month old Harvey and hope to get some advice if possible.....
I caugh Harvey twice now urinating on my "dirty" laundry inside the laundry basket.... I wonder why he is doing that,we never had any issues about pee or poo anywhere outside his litterbox... I havent changed his litter or anything else,and his litter box is clean...He is neutered and has all his injections and is a healthy cat.
I am worried that he keeps doing it or {and} my other two cats will join him doing it...

Has anybody got simular experience?

I am thankful for any advice i can get concerning this issue,

Nickie,Harvey,Sam and little Ellie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-19-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hi Nickie.
Have you had Harvey checked by a vet to rule out any infections? If he's experiencing pain while urinating he might associate it with his litter tray resulting in him going elsewhere.
Has there been any changes at home? If he is feeling stressed he could be using the laundry basket as your scent will be on the clothes. You may need to use a special cleaner on the basket to remove the smell of urine from it to discourage him from using it again (or replace it).
Sorry if none of the above is any help. Perhaps others here will be able to offer more advice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-19-2009   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Hi Hallan,
Harvey is fine,there is no infection or so,he is in good health,he was using his litter box again an hour later,i still don't know what happen or why he did it..

Nothing has changed here,its weird really...
Sometimes i have the feeling he is bored,even with all this toys and scratcher tree's and the companie of the other two cats...

Thank you very much for youre reply,the only one i got....

Thx again,

Nickie
Unread 10-20-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Do you think he might have done it to get your attention? I would still make sure you get his smell completely out of the basket to deter him from using it again. I'm glad he's generally happy & healthy and hope his inappropriate use of your laundry basket was a one off!
Unread 10-20-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

How do you know Harvey is fine with no infection? The number one reason cats pee outside the box is urinary tract infection.

The only way to know if he has a UTI (and/or crystal formation) is to have a urinalysis done at the vet.

Male's block very easily and suddenly, and will die within 24 hours of being blocked without emergency treatment, so letting it go can quickly turn into tragedy.

What food do you feed them? Please get Harvey in for a urinalysis first thing.

On the stress/change front, many things that you wouldn't even notice could cause stress to a cat. new laundry detergent, new shampoo, a strange cat hanging around outside, are a few examples. Stress can cause illness in cats, notably UTIs.

Please do bring Harvey to the vet. Bring him in with a full bladder so the vet can get a good sample (they take it straight from the bladder these days)

By the way, one other thing. How many litter boxes do you have? One per cat, plus one, is the general "rule of thumb". Regardless of how clean you keep it, one box with multiple cats can cause problems such as this. Some cats prefer a choice, and will use one box to poop and one to pee, etc. Some cats don't like to share.

Feliway plug ins can help with territorial marking.

But, even adding boxes, I would still opt for the vet first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 10-20-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Hi acerlt,
i was worried after Harvey was urinating on my laundry and i took him to the vet here,just to be sure..
He took a sample,we haven't heard yet about the results,but the vet is quiet sure its nothing to worrie about as Harvey has used his litter box again just an hour after his pee on my laundry.. And he hasn't done it again since...
We have three litter boxes,and funny,they use one for wee and one for poop,and the third one is not used often..

I should hear from the vet in the next day's...

Thank you for youre reply.
Unread 10-20-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh good, I'm glad you took him in first thing. the thing is, it's not normal for a cat to pee twice in one hour. They normally pee twice a day, maybe three times, but that's all. If he's peeing more than that, especially twice within an hour, something is wrong.

Usually what it means is the infection or crystals is causing so much irritation and discomfort that he feels like he has to pee all the time. so he's always either running to the box, or peeing in front of you, but not always getting a lot out.

Please do keep us updated on Harvey!
Unread 10-21-2009   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Oh god,that worries me now....

I hope we will hear something today... It didn't happen again since though,hopefuly all will be ok,i'll let you know as soon as i hear something..

Nickie and gang
Unread 11-03-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

girlie_girl is on a distinguished road

hello nickie,
I think Hallan might have a point. When i was worked up at school and never got the time to play with my cat, he would pee on the rug before our bathroom door. But when i get to spend more time with him he's all good.

Are cats prone to urinary infections too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 11-03-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlie_girl View Post
hello nickie,
I think Hallan might have a point. When i was worked up at school and never got the time to play with my cat, he would pee on the rug before our bathroom door. But when i get to spend more time with him he's all good.

Are cats prone to urinary infections too?
Yes UTI is a common problem in cats, often due to poor quality food, but can also be caused by stress, dirty litter boxes, too much washing 'down there', crystals in the urine or just because the cat is prone to them by genetic factor.

Urinary tract infections (UTI) and crystals in the urine are not the same thing. A UTI is cured with antibiotics, crystal formation is controlled with special diet. A cat can have one problem or the other, or both.

Tags
advice , antibiotics , bladder , box , cat , cats , changed , clean , diet , dry , food , fun , funny , happy , health , healthy , hey , home , infection , litter , litter box , litter boxes , litterbox , pee , peeing , play , poo , poop , problem , problems , smell , stress , territorial , toys , urine , uti , vet , weird

Sponsored Cat Links