It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-28-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

JohnPhoenix is on a distinguished road
Default Cat Poem - Should you get a cat?

When I was about 8 years old I learned my first poem. It happened to be a poem about Cats! Here is the poem and some general thoughts.

The trouble
With a kitten
Is that
Eventually it becomes
A Cat

(Unknown)

You may be asking yourself 'Should I get a kitten?'

I have had two, one lived 18 years and the other is now 5 years old (human years). So I figure I have 23 Years of "living with cat" experience I can impart.

Kittens may be Cute and Playful but they do grow up. Nothing is worse than a person who gets a pet because it is cute and after it starts to grow, gets tired of the animal because it isn't so cute anymore and then wants to get rid of the animal.

This causes undue hardship on the Human and the Pet. Cats are like children. They change as they grow and take on different personalities. The cat just wants to please it's human owner just like a child does his parent and does not understand when suddenly he gets taken away to go live with someone else. You wouldn't do this to your child so why do people think they can do it to their pets?

Just like a human child a pet has to be cared for but it's not just till the pet reaches an age he can go get a drivers license and move out of the house. The pet is with you for the long haul for better or worse.

I think giving pets to children as gifts is a horrible idea. You have to be really sure the child understands this heavy responsibility, or you the adult will be the one taking care of the pet. I would go as far as to say if a young person cannot understand and face the responsibility of having a human child then they will not be able to do the same for a pet. Many people give bunnies to kids for Easter. Most of these bunnies are not kept but wind up going to the shelter or another home. Kittens and puppies are also treated in this manner because they get them as gifts for Christmas or Birthdays.

Before you give your child a pet you may ask yourself,"Can the child handle a Baby?" Depending on how pro or against the answer is will help determine if they are good potential pet owners. Humans are capable of having children as early as 12 and 13 years of age and in fact in many cultures get married at this age. I would consider giving a child 12 or 13 years of age a pet but not younger. There are some exceptions to this with younger kids being great pet owners but that is rare.

My main thing here is people need to think and act very responsibility when it comes to considering getting a pet.

Our Cat is just as much our daughter as any human child. She provided great companionship as a kitten and still does as an adult cat. Another important thing - the amount of time, attention and love you give your pet is equal to the amount of time, attention and love the cat gives you in return.

Cats are very smart beings and they are very sensitive to feelings towards them. Treat your cat right and you will never get tired of the joy it will bring.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hi JohnPhoenix,
You raise some very good points in your post. As a child I had pets but my parents taught me that animals come with responsibility. From an early age I learnt that having a pet meant feeding, exercising, cleaning out, vet visits & care if sick and providing lots of attention. I also learnt to grieve for them when they passed away.
I think pets are very good for children as long as they are taught all the responsibilities that go with animal ownership. I had pets when I was far too young to understand or face the responsibility of a having a baby but I was old enough to be shown the responsibility of caring for a hamster with the help of my parents. As a result, as an adult I understood the financial, emotional and practical implications of having the cat I had wanted all my life (I never had a pet cat as a child) so I didn't get one until I was sure I was in a position to fulfil these.
My parents instilled in me a respect for all creatures. We raised frogs from the spawn in our pond, fed caterpillars until they transformed into butterflies, cared for injured birds & hedgehogs, fed the wildlife that visited our garden and loved and were loved back by many pets. I think that experience of animals from an early age is important for children. It teaches them that animals are not objects or toys but living, breathing creatures needing work & attention and that caring for them properly is extremely rewarding.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-03-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

lauryn tom is on a distinguished road

Great post. This is very helpful for first time pet owners having a dilemma between getting a cat and a dog. The info you've shared will contribute greatly on the decision of getting a cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
adult , age , animal , baby , birds , breathing , bunnies , care , cat , cats , children , christmas , cleaning , cute , dog , gifts , great , hey , home , house , joy , love , ownership , person , pet , rare , shelter , sick , smart , thoughts , toys , vet

Sponsored Cat Links