It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-18-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
dollydaft is on a distinguished road
Default Just been told, We're being mean and cruel to Molly and Lilly...

As you know our bonnie wee Kittens, Molly and Lilly are house cats...mainly because we live near the A96 and want them to be safely indoors.
Also they have are getting getting speyed on the 14th of April...and will be microchipped at the same time.....

Just had a lecture we have been told that to keep our cats indoors is cruel apparently all cats benifit from being allowed to wander...we have been told that by getting them spayed at this young age is evil and cruel and we should allow them each to have at least one litter...

They are indoor cats, mainly because we live not far from the A96.......they are getting speyed because if they ever did manage to wander outside, (which they have never attempted yet.) but if they did...we wouldnt want them to come home with any hidden extra's, mainly because if we couldnt find great homes, we'd end up with more pets than we could cope with or afford.
As for the micro chipping its a precaution, if the unthinkable happens, the chip makes it more likely we will get them back.

Anyway I feel guilty enough that we have made the appointment to get them spayed.
Years ago when we had our dog spayed, I was upset and I left at the vets, I was in tears...I felt like I was abandoning her....and I hated coming home that day without my pet, Brandie had been really bady abused by her first humans, and we had done a lot of work to get that puppy to trust etc..I was so worried in case something happened during the operation, because Brandie still wasnt as lively as other 7month pups.....as it turned out there was a minor complication with the dogs operation....and I was so relieved when she came out of it ok.

I hate the thought that Molly and Lilly will be having the same op, and will have stitches and be uncomfortable afterwards, but I also want to do the best for Molly and Lilly. Just dreading leaving them with the vet for several hours....

Also I have found a way to be able to give them most types of cat toy...check the toy and when you get it home, unpick stitches, remove any catnip, and re~stitch toy...not all toys are suitable to do this, hence check toy before buying.....hehe (Molly cant have anything catnip based.) But my method seems to be working...so they can now have even more variety in boredom breaker toys etc..

Oh well...anyway Molly and Lilly get spayed on the 14th April, will let you know how they get on.

Attached are some snapshots of them playing, as you can see they have no toys, are very unhappy and mis treated...at least thats what we have been accused of...by not letting them wander outside and getting them spayed..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1AA.jpg (69.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0002.jpg (85.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0004 (2).jpg (84.6 KB, 10 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-20-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollydaft View Post
As you know our bonnie wee Kittens, Molly and Lilly are house cats...mainly because we live near the A96 and want them to be safely indoors.
Also they have are getting getting speyed on the 14th of April...and will be microchipped at the same time.....

Just had a lecture we have been told that to keep our cats indoors is cruel apparently all cats benifit from being allowed to wander...we have been told that by getting them spayed at this young age is evil and cruel and we should allow them each to have at least one litter...

They are indoor cats, mainly because we live not far from the A96.......they are getting speyed because if they ever did manage to wander outside, (which they have never attempted yet.) but if they did...we wouldnt want them to come home with any hidden extra's, mainly because if we couldnt find great homes, we'd end up with more pets than we could cope with or afford.
As for the micro chipping its a precaution, if the unthinkable happens, the chip makes it more likely we will get them back.

Anyway I feel guilty enough that we have made the appointment to get them spayed.
Years ago when we had our dog spayed, I was upset and I left at the vets, I was in tears...I felt like I was abandoning her....and I hated coming home that day without my pet, Brandie had been really bady abused by her first humans, and we had done a lot of work to get that puppy to trust etc..I was so worried in case something happened during the operation, because Brandie still wasnt as lively as other 7month pups.....as it turned out there was a minor complication with the dogs operation....and I was so relieved when she came out of it ok.

I hate the thought that Molly and Lilly will be having the same op, and will have stitches and be uncomfortable afterwards, but I also want to do the best for Molly and Lilly. Just dreading leaving them with the vet for several hours....

Also I have found a way to be able to give them most types of cat toy...check the toy and when you get it home, unpick stitches, remove any catnip, and re~stitch toy...not all toys are suitable to do this, hence check toy before buying.....hehe (Molly cant have anything catnip based.) But my method seems to be working...so they can now have even more variety in boredom breaker toys etc..

Oh well...anyway Molly and Lilly get spayed on the 14th April, will let you know how they get on.

Attached are some snapshots of them playing, as you can see they have no toys, are very unhappy and mis treated...at least thats what we have been accused of...by not letting them wander outside and getting them spayed..
Hi--They are the CUTEST most ADOREABLE kitties!!!! Their coloring is georgous--they must be sisters?? I have two all-black cats sister and brother. People can be really cruel sometimes--a guy at work makes comments to me and in front of me because I won't let my cats outside. I live on a busy street and saw a cat get hit by a car and die right in front of my eyes--I can still hear the cat's screams. This co-worker says that cats are natural roamers and keeping them inside is really cruel. He said he hopes one of the cats bites me. Meanwhile, three of his cats never came home and one got hit by a car--but he still feels they should go outside.
I have a window perch by my diningroom window and another one at my bedroom window for the cats to sun themselves and look outside. I also put bread outside the window for the birds so the cats can see, but not kill, the sweet birds.
I had my cats spayed/neutered for the same reason as you. I live in a small, 5-room house and I can't have all those kittens running around, as much as I would love to. There are already too many kittens at shelters. Anyway, when I left them at the vet I felt like I was abandoning them. I felt that the kittens gave me all their love and trust, and now I was somehow doing something terrible to them, even though, in reality I knew it was the right thing to do. The vet was suposed to do the procedure at 9a.m. and I called at 3:30p.m. when I was leaving work to ask if I could pick them up. The vet said "No, they haven't woken up yet, they will need to stay overnight because I want to make sure they are ok when they wake up. I was so upset. I thought something was wrong that the vet wasn't telling me--but everything was fine when I picked them up the following day. I just felt I had violated their trust in me. Anyway, I know you are having mixed emotions, but don't pay attention to those miserable people. If they think your cat should have kittens, ask them "Will you take the kittens and give them a forever home if my cat has kittens? If not then shut your mouth." And you are definitely doing the right thing by making them indoor cats. As long as they have each other for company, and you interact with them, give them plenty of toys and scratching posts (which you do, I can see from the pictures)give them lots of TLC then they will not only be FINE, but they will live longer. The average age of an outdoor cats is a whole lot less. They get into fights with dogs, other animals and cats, get hit by cars, get fleas, tiicks, worms,get abused by sick people, etc, etc, etc.....Follow your heart--you're doing the right thing
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-20-2010   #3 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Who on earth told you that sweetie?

They don't know what they're talking about!

Of course they are better off indoors. And like you said, they are getting spayed just in case they did get out.

Good luck for April 14th, they will be fine, and they are stunning as ever. xxxxx
Unread 03-20-2010   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

dollydaft is on a distinguished road

Hiya auntkitty, Molly and Lilly are full sisters, (littermates,)

Che it was the snobby git across the road...he says we're scum anyway, because my man is disabled and needs care.

I know I should feel sorry for the guy, after all he's not out of this world yet and doesnt know what nasty surprises life might have in store for him, (god forbid wouldnt wish seeing someone you love in constant pain, on anyone.)

Just most people seem to think we're being mean...when all we want is for Molly and Lilly to be safe.
It's only been six months since we lost our beloved dog, (Our beutiful dog, was 15yrs.) and I dont think I could stand it if anything happened to Molly or Lilly.

They are so funny to watch...Lilly loves to climb, and Molly well she loves attention, they are both affectionate, but Molly will cry to be picked up. Dreading the 14th.

One vet says we're right to keEp them in, another said we could buy a harness and lead....and take them for walks, yeah right....thats going to happen...not.

Like those people who dress up their dogs in silly dresses...poor dog, is probably scared to go out, in case all the other wee dogs laugh and pick on it.
No problem with basic dog coat to keep doggy dry/warm though, our dog had one for bad weather.

We bought these wee collars, (the ones with the special catch, that opens if the collar gets snared...) Well our kittens soon figured out how to get the collar off....we watched Lilly pull at molly's collar with her teeth to make it open and then molly swiftly returned the favour...oh well.
(pretty clever of them, really )

Because my man is disabled and needs care, when I can afford the kits, I make reborns, to me they are just unusual ornaments....I have just completed my very first reborn primate, its from a Binki kit by denise prat, decided he looks good sitting next to our dogs portrait, lol.
When he's housebound in pain, so am I so my hobbys keep me sane, lol.
Attached a pic of my very first attempt at a primate...hand painted hand rooted etc.

Molly and Lilly are good kittens, and they seem happy and dont seem to bother with outside. They have only been with us a few months, but it feels like longer....Che remember how tiny they were when they came to us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0005 (2).jpg (83.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0002.jpg (85.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0005.jpg (91.0 KB, 8 views)
Unread 03-20-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Pensive
Thistle is on a distinguished road

Hello Dollydaft

What lovely kittens, -and what total nonsense some people do say.

I made up my mind after losing two beloved cats to the road - no more. We also have sick persons nearby - one woman who boasts that she can kill a cat if it comes into her garden - by spraying antifreeze on it. And another bloke who is just a dense brute - thick and nasty, he hates all animals.

Sick people, roads, vicious dogs - and in England, even fox hunts (I know someone who lost a cat to fox hounds in the past) - are all threats to cats in this modern world. Yes - in the days before all this traffic and nastiness in people, cats could go freely, but not now.

Our latest two cats were indoor cats - out in the garden in summer if we watched them, - but they had a very happy, long life too. As for the spaying - it's always a guilt-trip with an operation, but it's by far meaner not to spay them, - yes, we've all heard the argument about having a first litter, but it's rubbish. Spaying before any litters reduces the chance of womb/ovarian cancer, said our vet when we got our Kitty spayed. Kitty was a black and white moggie, who also had a healthy, happy, long life - she went out, it's true, but never further than the back garden, as she was a shy little soul, and this was a good while ago. If you check this out on vet pages, I'm sure you'll see write-ups about this.

Hope this helps!

Thistle
Unread 03-20-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Oh they are certainly sweety's. People sometimes don't have brains. They obviously don't have the correct information either. Years ago a young girl wouldn't let me have one of her kittens because I was going to keep it indoors and have it fixed. She was about 16 I think and thought she knew what was right. Yes cats have a hunting instinct but they are just as happy inside as outside. My 3 are very happy and well adjusted. The boys love running after each other and sometime Zipper will follow them around. This person should be totaly ignored. Fixing them will also make them happier. I always think of puppy mills when animals aren't fixed and have litter after litter. Its not good for them and they will live longer and have fewer health issues if they are fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 03-21-2010   #7 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh that's wonderful, really unusual.
And yes I do remember how small they were, they grow up so fast.
If I was you I wouldn't bother even speaking to the ignoramus across the rd.
You just keep Molly and Lilly safe and sound indoors.
Hugs, Che. xxxxx
Unread 03-21-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Like everyone else who has replied my advice is to ignore what this ignorant & rude person says. Unfortunately some people do not seem to have enough in their own lives to occupy their thoughts & think they have the right to offer ill-informed comments on the lives of others.
Molly & Lilley are perfectly happy as indoor cats, it would be cruel to let them 'wander' and risk injury or worse on a busy road. My two are both indoor cats and neither show any inclination to go outside. I can open the ground floor windows and they will sit in the window and have never bolted for freedom. I often joke that my princess Ripley is so spoilt that she won't go outside as there aren't any carpets!
It's perfectly normal to feel guilty about having them spayed. I felt really guilty both times even though I knew it was the best thing for them. I hated leaving them at the vets. Poor Newt could not understand why she hadn't had any breakfast, she loves her food - I felt so bad I left the vets in tears!
Unread 03-22-2010   #9 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallan View Post
I often joke that my princess Ripley is so spoilt that she won't go outside as there aren't any carpets!
Helen, I love this, absolutely priceless! LOL, xxxxx
Unread 03-22-2010   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Just a sidebar to my post last week. My kittens were fixed in February and it was done by laser. There was little as far as an incision and they were up and running around like crazy the same day. They had no down time at all. I don't know how available this procedure is but maybe you can ask. Our vet only offers laser for this procedure.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!

Tags
age , belly , birds , bites , black , box , boy , car , care , catnip , cats , collar , cool , crazy , dog , dogs , eyes , fast , fights , found , friends , fun , funny , girl , great , groom , happy , health , hey , home , homes , house , kittens , kitty , laser , litter , lost , neutering , pictures , play , playing , portrait , puppy , scared , scratching , sleeping , small , spayed , stitches , surgery , thoughts , toys , traditional , type , uncomfortable , upset , window

Sponsored Cat Links