It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-08-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

silverfox13425 is on a distinguished road
Question Four cats, one apartment?

Sorry if this is in the wrong area. I didn't know where to put it. Just starting off by saying that.

Me and my boyfriend of four years just recently got engaged and graduated high school and are (very) soon planning that giant leap into moving in together. We want to get our own place but with colleges and the economy, its hard to find one we can afford together. We both get very crappy incomes.

Here's our problem.

He has two cats. I have two cats. We each love our beautifuls so much that getting rid of them or separating from them in any fashion is not an option. But all the apartments in the area have a two pet limit, even on cats!!! We live South-Eastern Michigan (Livonia/Westland - Metro Detroit) and it's very difficult to find an affordable apartment. We have found many that we COULD afford together, including rent and utilities - we've done the math together. We just want our babies with us. One of my babies Ive had since I was seven years old and shes my sidekick. The other was my late grandmothers cat who I bottle fed for a month or so when we first got her.

My fiance's first cat is a rescue. We had a friend in school whos mother would have just thrown her in the street to die had we not taken her in. He is more attached to her then me, I think! His other baby is a cute little Siamese/blue lynx who we found off of petfinder.com. He was supposed to be a birthday gift to my best friend who wasnt able to take him in, so my fiance took him so that she could still see him. My fiance has fallen as deeply in love with him as he did the first cat.

So we have no way of even temporarily getting rid of our children. :3 Does anyone know a way of getting around this? I was thinking of just paying the pet payment on two and just keeping all four. They are all silent indoor cats. My two dont even know HOW to meow! But my Fiance is afraid of random inspections and what not and he doesnt want me to to be thrown on the streets.

So any ideas on what we should do? We loves our babies and need a place to live.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-09-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

madcatdisease is on a distinguished road
Default Four cats? That's nothing!

Try five! Four mine, one the boyfriend's.

When I lived by myself, I started out with two and then took in two others. I was renting a house at the time, and my landlord either didn't notice or didn't care.

I'd be wary of apartment buildings though. There you don't have "landlords"; you have souless management companies who will enforce their stupid rules despite what it would do to your feline family.

When we were looking for our current place, the boyfriend and I didn't even try apartment buildings. We knew they either wouldn't allow 5 cats or would charge insane fees for them. So instead we focused on condos and houses for rent. Those have individual landlords, not management companies, who may be animal lovers and will be accepting of your circumstances. I basically went on craigslist and emailed every listing that fit our criteria, selling ourselves as young professionals with good jobs and rental histories who just happened to have a few pets. Once we found a condo for rent with a nice, understanding landlord, we got her to sign a written statement saying we were allowed to have the 5 cats.

Last edited by madcatdisease; 06-09-2010 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-09-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

I very much agree with the above poster, I would skip apartments entirely. Condos and some rental properties sometimes actually have lower rates than apartments, if that is believable.
Unread 06-15-2010   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

orangy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox13425 View Post
Sorry if this is in the wrong area. I didn't know where to put it. Just starting off by saying that.

Me and my boyfriend of four years just recently got engaged and graduated high school and are (very) soon planning that giant leap into moving in together. We want to get our own place but with colleges and the economy, its hard to find one we can afford together. We both get very crappy incomes.

Here's our problem.

He has two cats. I have two cats. We each love our beautifuls so much that getting rid of them or separating from them in any fashion is not an option. But all the apartments in the area have a two pet limit, even on cats!!! We live South-Eastern Michigan (Livonia/Westland - Metro Detroit) and it's very difficult to find an affordable apartment. We have found many that we COULD afford together, including rent and utilities - we've done the math together. We just want our babies with us. One of my babies Ive had since I was seven years old and shes my sidekick. The other was my late grandmothers cat who I bottle fed for a month or so when we first got her.

My fiance's first cat is a rescue. We had a friend in school whos mother would have just thrown her in the street to die had we not taken her in. He is more attached to her then me, I think! His other baby is a cute little Siamese/blue lynx who we found off of petfinder.com. He was supposed to be a birthday gift to my best friend who wasnt able to take him in, so my fiance took him so that she could still see him. My fiance has fallen as deeply in love with him as he did the first cat.

So we have no way of even temporarily getting rid of our children. :3 Does anyone know a way of getting around this? I was thinking of just paying the pet payment on two and just keeping all four. They are all silent indoor cats. My two dont even know HOW to meow! But my Fiance is afraid of random inspections and what not and he doesnt want me to to be thrown on the streets.

So any ideas on what we should do? We loves our babies and need a place to live.
At least as a renter,it's both wise and safe to get landlord permission in writting,so such a landlord may not kick you out. good luck,besides hopefully all the 4 cats 'll be well behaved

Tags
affordable , animal , apartment , apartments , babies , baby , birthday , boyfriend , care , cats , children , cute , eco , family , fashion , found , gift , hey , house , indoor , love , lovers , meow , moving , nice , pet , problem , rescue , siamese

Sponsored Cat Links