It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2010   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Update on Jennie

Jennie

Jennie is about 4 1/2 years old and has been here in her forever home for almost 3 years.

Jennie was a stray raising a family of four all on her own when she Chose me. It took quite a few months to win her trust, so I could trap her and get her to the vet for testing and her spay. ( her kittens, at least 10 weeks old, weaned and all completely feral by then, were trapped and brought to a rescue that specializes in feral kitten fostering.)

Vet estimated her at about 1.5 -3 years old at the time of the rescue, and said judging by the state of her uterus she had had at least three litters, poor girl.

The day I brought Jennie home she was so skinny, but so grateful to be there, I opened the carrier, she turned to me and began to purr a loud happy purr and I burst into tears. It took Jennie time to realize she was safe in her forever home.

For the longest time she did not get up on any furniture. She would flinch if I reached for her. She had this "swivel head" habit, her head was always swiveling around on her neck, eyes wide, as she checked all around herself for danger.

All that is gone now, Jennie is a happy cuddly secure cat. She likes to eat and lie around, with short spurts of energy. I worry about her weight as it is difficult to get her motivated to move much and she eats less than the other cats but is still chubby.

Jennie has trouble with constipation and blocked anal glands, and with much trial and error I finally found a diet that works to control these issues. She eats Wellness grain free canned chicken, only. A few kibbles for snacks now and then, but any time I vary her diet too much she has trouble again.

Jennie has had one UTI, in her early days here, but it cleared up with antibiotics and has never repeated. She also has a nervous habit where she licks herself a bald pink triangle down over her spay incision area. Sometimes she lets the fur grow back and I rejoice, but eventually, usually over night, I will suddenly find that bare pink triangle again.

It doesn't often get to the sore stage, but when I do see a sore starting I have a prescription ointment from the vet to use on it called Animax. That is good stuff. The sores clear up in a day or two and she leaves the area alone for a while after 10 days on the Animax.

Jennie is such a pleasure to be around. She's never lost her habit of swearing, such gutter language, my goodness. We (me and the other cats) were all quite shocked when she first came, the way she swears. She has toned it down some, but not completely, however we've all gotten used to it now and know it doesn't mean anything.

Jennie goes to the vet twice a year for check ups. In October she gets a check up and Purevax rabies vaccine and in April just a check up. She gets hairball remedy every four or five days, she allows grooming, loves it, and does not seem to have as much trouble with hair balls as Mazy and Tolly do. She gets her teeth brushed every night with c.e.t. toothpaste. She screams "Help! Murder!" every time, but I know she likes the taste, because I have seen her lick it off her fur with great surprise and enjoyment.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-26-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

She's a swearing kitty huh? Sorry, that part made me laugh. I have known some such cats, and you do not want to be on the wrong side when they let loose, haha!
Unread 07-26-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Yep, Jennie cusses like a sailor, LOL.

Here is a pic of her on the day she came forever home next to one taken on her Gotcha Day last October 2:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
age , antibiotics , cat , cats , constipation , diet , eyes , family , feral , fostering , found , free , fur , furniture , girl , great , grooming , hair balls , happy , hey , home , kittens , kitty , lost , nervous , night , over night , rabies , rescue , spay , stray , toothpaste , uti , vaccine , vet , weaned , weight , worry

Sponsored Cat Links