It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > General Cat Discussion > Cat Chat
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

yelenaily is on a distinguished road
Default I am being stalked by cat activists because I asked about getting an unaltered kitten

So my story is this... My husband and I decided to get a kitten, but since the breed that we originally wanted is not widely available and super expensive we started checking out shelters and adoption events. I found an ad for a kitty that was 2 months old and was up for adoption. And that's where it all started...

Sent to : KATSSITTING(at)att.net
"Hi, I found an ad about about a black kitten that needs to be adopted and it says to contact you.

I absolutely adore her!

My only concern is that in the ad it says that she will be spayed prior to adoption and my husband is completely against that. So basically I'm trying to find out if it is absolutely necessary to spay her or if that can be avoided. Also, could you please tell me a bit more about her? I would absolutely love to take her in, but my husband has one condition and that is that the cat has to be completely unaltered. Please feel free to call or e-mail me.
"

Originally the ad sounded pretty urgent, but noone seemed to be in a hurry to reply so we kept looking. I got a response a week later, after we've already adopted 3 beautiful kittens. Instead of answering my question, the email contained only 1 sentence
"why would you not want to spay/neuter a cat?"

I ignored it thinking that it wasn't worth getting into an argument or trying to explain and it really didn't matter anymore since we already found our perfect kitties.

A few days later I get an e-mail from a totally different address:

Sent From: jdehaviland(at)gmail.com

"I hope it was explained to you that it is illegal to place or keep an unaltered cat or kitten in the City and County of Los Angeles. There is a large fine.

Thank you.
"

I replied back asking who it was and how they got my e-mail address, but noone responded so in a couple of days I sent another e-mail to the same address asking whoever it was to mind their own business and explained that butchering a kitten who is 8-14 weeks old and hasn't even matured yet is horrible and barbaric. I also mentioned that I did not need anyones advice regarding financial aspects of owning a pet.

That was that....

Couple weeks later I get another e-mail from a third unknown address:

Sent From: ebimbomama(at)aol.com

"YOU have to be kidding that aomeone should give you an unaltered cat when we killed over a half million cats lAST YEAR IN OUR CALIFORNIA SHELTERS BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOUR HUSBAND WHO DID NOT WANT ALTERED CATS SO THE CATS GOT PREGNANT OVER AND OVER AGAIN, UP TO FOUR TIMES A YEAR FOR TEN OR MORE YEARS PRODUCING TWO TO THREE HUNDRED KITTENS IN ITS LIFETIME. YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND ARE UNBELIEVABLE AND SHOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED TO HAVE PETS. YOUR HUSBAND HAS A MENTALITY FROM THE DARK AGES.

ORDER YOUR LICENSE PLATE TODAY AND HELP FUND SPAY AND NEUTER SURGERIES
CASpayPlate.com
"

I wrote back saying pretty much the same thing as before. That it's barbaric and that whoever mutilates their pet especially at such a young age needs to have their fingers cut off. I also asked who it was and why they were e-mailing me in the first place...

This is the response I got:

"you area very very sick person. i am posting your email on facebook for all to see.

ORDER YOUR LICENSE PLATE TODAY AND HELP FUND SPAY AND NEUTER SURGERIES
CASpayPlate.com
"

So to sum it up, I am now being stalked by internet psycho cat activists because I wanted to adopt a kitten into a loving and caring environment and all I asked is if it was possible to not alter the poor thing at least until it was fully matured.

These people are psycho e-stalkers who care so much about their own activist agenda that they forget to stop and think about the well being of the animal.

I am not for or against spaying/neutering (its a choice) and we actually ended getting 3 five month old kitties who are all neutered, but I find it disgusting at how this is being shoved down peoples throats. Instead of educating and providing information of the pros and cons of spaying/ neutering, these people stalk anyone who dares to go against their beliefs.

All these people start screaming at the top of their lungs that it's healthy when in fact there are a lot of cons to the procedure. (Don't ask me to provide them. Google is your friend)

Yes, there are cats being killed in the shelters, but making it mandatory for responsible owners to neuter/spay their pet is not going to solve that problem for one simple reason - a responsible owner is not going to allow their pet to breed 4 times a year and that is not where this surplus is coming from.

In my opinion, there are some humans that need to be "fixed", but for some reason noone bothers to look into that... Instead those same cat activists yell at the top of their lungs how abortions should be illegal. Hypocrites!

P.S. Sorry for rambling on so much, but this last e-mail got me really pissed off. I would keep going, but I'm gonna stop myself now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-06-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I may not agree with the tactics of the people harassing you but I agree with their agenda.

It IS irresponsible to not spay and neuter your pets and it IS the law in LA to do so.

Unspayed females get out and get pregnant. As was said, millions die every year because of people like your husband who thinks spaying is "cruel". Good grief.

When females are kept intact they go into heat over and over and over, all their lives, it is cruel and inhumane to keep an unspayed female, not to mention it can shorten her life greatly, as her risk of uterine cancer and pyometra is higher with every heat cycle.

Congratulations on your three new kittens! I'm glad they are neutered. There are enough unwanted cats in the world already.

Last edited by acerlt; 08-06-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-06-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Really? It's law in LA? Hot dang, I need to call my friend down there with THAT info since she's one that refuses to spay her 4 year old cat even after I relayed everything you just said....
Unread 08-06-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49BWL View Post
Really? It's law in LA? Hot dang, I need to call my friend down there with THAT info since she's one that refuses to spay her 4 year old cat even after I relayed everything you just said....
Yep! In April 2008.

Link below

L.A. pets must be spayed or neutered - Health - Pet health - msnbc.com

Decalwing is illegal in LA, also.
Unread 08-07-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

yelenaily is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
I may not agree with the tactics of the people harassing you but I agree with their agenda.

It IS irresponsible to not spay and neuter your pets and it IS the law in LA to do so.

Unspayed females get out and get pregnant. As was said, millions die every year because of people like your husband who thinks spaying is "cruel". Good grief.

When females are kept intact they go into heat over and over and over, all their lives, it is cruel and inhumane to keep an unspayed female, not to mention it can shorten her life greatly, as her risk of uterine cancer and pyometra is higher with every heat cycle.

Congratulations on your three new kittens! I'm glad they are neutered. There are enough unwanted cats in the world already.
My whole issue is not really spaying or neutering, but the fact that people do it to really young animals that are about 8-14 weeks old and I think that it is plain cruel to do it when they're that tiny.

I had a Persian kitty before that I got from a breeder and we waited until he was a year and some change old before we neutered him and the only reason we did is to help with the smell (my moms idea).

I mean, everyone has a different living situation, but if I'm getting a cat I know for sure that it's not going to get out of my apartment and there are numerous other ways that you can deal with their urge to hump something (like a stuffed toy and some hormone spray).

Everyone keeps screaming that it's healthy for your pet to get fixed... First of all, if it was really that healthy then nature and evolution would've made it that way without us having to intervene. Second of all, just do a google search on the negative side effects of this procedure and you'll see that while there may be some benefits, there are just as many dangers. It shouldn't be forced down on you and maybe should be reviewed on a case by case basis with the vet.

My previous kitty didn't really need the procedure. He was a year and some change old and he had absolutely no urge to go out. Since he was a purebred Persian we even had a breeder (she asked us to help) bring in her female cat, who was in heat, and nothing...

And last but not least, I definitely think that people who hunt down and stalk someone just for asking if it is possible to at least wait a bit before going through with this procedure... these people have a couple screws lose in their heads. Yes, there are a lot of stray cats (which I personally have not seen anywhere except the shelter), but mutilating a two month old kitten that I know for sure will NEVER be outside can at least wait till he is fully grown.
Unread 08-07-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Okay, I understand your reluctance to spay a younger cat, but it's really not that big of a deal.

And I can promise you that an unspayed female cat WILL get out. They always do. And if you're lucky you might see her again. And if you're lucky she won't catch any diseases. And if you're lucky you can get her spayed afterward before any pregnancy quickens.

It's not "an urge to hump". It is a biological urge to mate, and a female can go crazy if she doesn't. They don't get "horny". It's simply instinctual to mate, and it's cruel to force a female cat to go through that every 2 weeks her entire life.

"A stuffed toy or some hormone spray" is not going to make any difference to an unspayed female cat.

Your arguments are weak, contradictory and inconsistent as are most arguments against spaying and neutering.

But yeah, I'm sorry for you that some crazy fanatic is harassing you. Guess you'll have to cancel your facebook account and email addresses and start over.

Last edited by acerlt; 08-07-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Unread 08-09-2010   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I'm really glad that it is illegal in L.A and I'm glad so is de-clawing. I didn't realize that. Also, I am against breeders and breeding cats since there are so many beautiful cats being killed because they are not being adopted. Also, a guy on my job just told me this morning that his daughter's cat snuck past her and got out of the house three days ago and hasn't been seen since--she is in heat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 08-09-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

When/if she returns, expect kittens.... That's about all I can say lol.
Unread 08-10-2010   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Relaxed
Val_Kitten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

I had a really sneaky cat who used to manage to get out even if you barely opened the door and squeezed out and once he was out, he was impossible to catch so we'd have to let him stay out all night. I think he was hanging out with this pretty white cat I would see sometimes. He wasn't neutered either I was only 11 tho and uneducated about spaying and neutering until I was 12. Hopefully the female was spayed, but omg.. I just realized something, but I'll get to it! Well this lady complained that he was pooping in her flowers (which looked like weeds to me quite frankly) and one day, he came home throwing up green stuff. My mom took him to the vet and they said he'd been poisoned and there was nothing we could do A short while after he had passed, I was walking my dog and an old couple used to always sit outside and they'd stop me and give my dog bones. While he gnawed away at them, they'd talk to me for hours. Well they stopped me and this time, they told me that a stray cat had some kittens and abandoned them in his backyard wall. He said all but one didn't make it and asked if I wanted that one. It was white and I never thought it coulda been one of my cat's kittens until just now The poor cat was deaf and blind and had 7 toes on each of his front paws. He was the sweetest and funniest cat, but I ended up having to give him to one of my best friends (who is an even bigger cat lover than I am at least), because we moved in with my aunt and her cats were mean.

Sorry about the novel. I am a writer tho
Unread 08-10-2010   #10 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Someone should have poisoned that rotten person who put poison out for the cat to eat. Did you ever find out what the poison was? And what ever happened to the poor blind kitty you gave away? Was it halthy otherwise?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:

Tags
adopted , adoption , advice , animal , apartment , beautiful , black , black kitten , breed , breeding , business , california , care , cat , cat lovers , cats , crazy , cut , environment , found , free , heat , home , in heat , internet , kitten , kittens , kitty , love , loving , mat , neutering , opinion , persian , pet , poison , pregnant , problem , psycho cat , question , search , shelter , shelters , sick , spay/neuter , spayed , stop , story

Sponsored Cat Links