It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-12-2010   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road
Default Took Lestat to the vet tonight and he had to be hospitalized :(

I took Lestat to the vet due to a possible ear infection (which turned out to be just a scratch) and I was not prepared at all to hear bad news that my cat had to spend the night at the hospital.

I was shocked mainly because he seemed perfectly fine until yesterday. Only symptom I noticed was that he ate less yesterday and hadn't touched his food at all today. He didn't want to play when I arrived home as he usually does, he was meowing at me to sit next to him on the sofa and pet him while he cuddled with me.

One good thing was to take him to the vet urgently and they could diagnose it pretty soon. Nevertheless I'm still extremely worried.

His temperature was a bit high and his tummy ache, the vet felt some liquid too. So they ran some blood tests and apparently they suspect he has Leukopenia. His white cells count was at 0,8 when the normal range is between 5,5 and 19,5.

They started the treatment immediately and it's also up to Lestat to fight for his life at this stage. Poor thing, he just turned 5 months old today and something like this happens... Leukopenia weakens his immune system and puts him at a high risk of infections.

I'm not sure if I'm able to get some sleep tonight because I'm feeling so sad but mostly frightened. It's not fair to have a kitten for just 2 weeks and something like this happening. I am so in love with this cat already. It hurts so much just not having him at home with me this night... I already lost a dog for a disease a few years ago and I'm not ready for another loss, not so soon, not like this. The vet really scared me, he didn't give me much hope...

Sorry about this messy post, I'm not sure I can write more atm.

The vet didn't give me very high expectations. This night will be crucial for the kitten. I know that sometimes vets prefer to give you the worst case scenario just in case.

I just want my kitten to get better and come back home, even if he has to stay a few more days at the hospital. He's in good hands and surrounded by people that can treat him better than I can now.

I will call the vet first thing in the morning to check on his status.

*in pain*

This site explains well what the vet told me:
www.2ndchance.info/panleukopenia.htm

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 10-12-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-12-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

OH NO! Oh Lu I am so sorry to hear this. You know I wasn't going to even turn the computer on tonight. But just as I was brushing my teeth I thought "I want to look in on Lestat.

I am praying for your little boy, that he's strong and can pull through this. Strong vibes to you too. It must be very lonely at home without him.

Did Lestat come from a breeder? Had he already been vaccinated? You'd better report it to the breeder or shelter Lestat came from. Leukopenia is highly contagious. Bad enough if he came from a shelter, but if a breeder is selling and breeding diseased cats...that is very serious.

However all paws are crossed here for your little baby boy.

Please keep us posted.

Gail
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-13-2010   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Gail, thanks for your kind words. I surely need them at this uncertain times.

Just called the Hospital to check on his status and the vet in service said that he spent a good night, considering the circumstances. He doesn't have fever anymore but was a bit stomach sick.

However, she warned me that his condition can still get worse. They are going to run more blood tests this evening (after 24 hours have passed) to do a new count of the white cells. Only after increasing the white cells, can they say if the kitten could be out of danger.

Oh my, this is going to be a hell day at work... I'm going to visit Lestat at lunch hour and then again in the afternoon and evening. I miss him so much already. I don't mind him staying at the hospital for a few more days if needed, I just want him to get better, that's all. (

Lestat came from a breeder and my bf already sent an email yesterday to the breeder (was too late to call on the phone) asking how the other kittens are and letting him know about Lestat's condition. When we picked up Lestat he had another male kitten only. The other ones had been sold already.

Therefore I'm very confused how he got this because since we got him 2 weeks ago he didn't have any contact with other cats or in fact any other animals at all.

He hadn't been vaccinated against Leukopenia. I don't have more breeder details. It's not easy to get information from him since we paid and picked up the kitten. I guess he's not that interested in the destiny of his kittens since they leave.

I'm hoping Lestat is strong enough to fight this. He's just 5 months old but he's a big cat (males of this race are much bigger than females and become really big cats when adults) and I wish really hard that he has the will to get better and come home to me.

Have to leave for work now. Will keep you updated, after my visit at noon.

Unread 10-13-2010   #4 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road

Hi Lu,

I am keeping you and Lestat in my thoughts today! I hope that he pulls through, I don't know what to say except how very sorry I am that this is happening to the little guy!

Good luck with it all, and keep strong!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 10-13-2010   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks Kat.

I'm trying to keep distracted at work but it's not easy because I'm constantly thinking of the little guy without his mummy to comfort him.

But the hospital is the right place for him now, where they are already fighting his infections because this virus is a wide open door for bacteria and violent infections. Poor thing has no immune system now. I hope his white cells will increase rapidly but I will know only this evening. CanĀ“t wait till it's 12 pm so that I can go visit and be with him for an hour or so.

I am also a bit revolted towards the breeder because we paid a lot of money for this cat although that's not my concern now. It's just that when you get a kitten from a breeder you think that they are born in a controlled environment and you expect to get a healthy cat. This could have probably been avoided if he vaccinated the cat when he was younger, maybe he wasn't sick now.

My bf is being more rational than I, he feels sorry for the pet but for him it's just an animal and he's saying that if Lestat doesn't make it he'll get me another kitten. But I don't want another kitten, I want THIS one, MY kitten. You cannot replace a pet by another one.

He's feeling a bit of remorse now because we went into a discussion yesterday, he was against me taking him to the vet because for him the cat was just fine. He thought that not eating for a couple of days was normal but I knew something was wrong. I could feel it maybe because I spend more time with the animal and noticed the first signs right away. He called me paranoid for rushing into the vet but I had to follow my gut. Yesterday he didn't ate at all and he was very mellow and didn't even want to play. He just wanted me to sit on the sofa and stay there next to him. He even jumped to my lap, and he's not the kind of kitten that likes to be grabbed or picked up for a long time. So I felt that was weird too.

Sorry about the long post but this is my way of letting it all out.

Thanks for this forums, I think it's helping me to cope a bit better with this whole situation. At least here I know I have people who love animals and understand my concerns. Most people think it's just stupid to worry like I do about an animal.

Just a small remark as I gave Gail a wrong info.

The kitten was vaccinated against Feline Panleukopenia after all, at least that's what his Health Bulletin says. He took a first shot at Jul 28th and a second one at Sep 14th.

This makes me even more confused. How could he get sick anyway? Maybe he didn't have time to be immune to the disease?

I'll learn more this afternoon...

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 10-13-2010 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo
Unread 10-13-2010   #6 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road

Shame Lu, I most definitely understand your concern, and I would feel EXACTLY the same way! My husband also doesn't understand why I fuss over my little ones so much, but to me, they are like my children (I don't have any children, and won't for a while), so my mother instincts kick in with my cats.

You did the right thing by taking him to the vet immediately. Since you spend most of your time with the little guy you picked up on the abnormalities straight away... it would be the same with me... my husband is just a play mate, I feed them, when they are tired and sleepy they sleep by me in the bed, not my husband... the connection between me and my 2 are a lot stronger than it is with my husband, just because I've nurtured them from a young age, and still nurturing Dizi as he is still very much dependent on a mother figure. So, my point is, you are attached to Lestat, just like I am to my 2... so you do feel an emotional bond with him, and it is expected that you would be heart broken over the situation. But, at least you will be going there at noon, and he will feel you there, which may help him cope and maybe fight harder to be with you That is the best you can do for him during this time...

This site is great as it makes me also feel like I'm not strange in the way I love my kitties... and that it is only normal...

Hang in there Lu...

PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

Unread 10-13-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

Just checking in to see how Lestat is doing.

I am the same as both of you, my cats are my life. My life revolves around their needs and their pleasure.

Still praying for your baby boy.

That breeder should be shut down. I know of shelters that have had to euthanize every cat in the place, and shut down operations for quarantine and to be disinfected after an outbreak of this disease.

If you have animal control or disease control in your country I recommend reporting them.

Last edited by acerlt; 10-13-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Unread 10-13-2010   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Update:

Went to visit Lestat at 12 pm with my boyfriend and he seemed so sad and sick. He seemed so weak but still wanted to jump to my lap all the time. When we left he seemed so confused looking at me, like thinking "hey where are you going? why don't you take me home?" My heart was broken.

The fever didn't come back yet but he started to vomit when they tried to feed him so food has been removed.

At 8 pm I'll go back for another visit and to know the result of the new blood tests. If the white cells count go back to normal values he can go home with antibiotics. And he also needs to stop vomiting, otherwise we cannot give him oral medication and needs to stay at the hospital so they can give it to him intravenously.

I'm already prepared to spend a rough week anyway because he will still vomit and have diarrhea but as long as he takes his antibiotics for possible infections that appear, everything will be fine 'cause he'll be out of risk. I'm focusing all my hope on his willing to fight this and to get a normal cells value. That's the main concern now. And it's good for the kitten to be at his normal habitat with his owners, since that makes them more willing to fight for their lives.

I'm not too optimistic about taking him home tonight already, although I miss him terribly. Last night I even missed his crazy midnight runs and wild hunting which is usually annoying lol.
And this morning he was not there to wake me up asking for food and some petting before I leave to work. The house feels so empty now.

He has a couple advantage things in his favor:
- took him to the vet at a very early stage (vet said owners usually notice only after they start vomiting and having diarrhea with blood)
- although he's only 5 months, he's a big cat and very robust and is well treated
- he's an indoor cat in a controlled environment since he's with us and not so susceptible to catch nasty infections as an outdoor cat would by wandering around and having contact with other cats, etc

I'm not so stressed as this morning but I am taking some sedative drugs to calm me down (good thing I work at a pharmaceutical company hehe). I can't be crying at work. I don't want people around asking me what's going wrong. And I cried a lot this evening and didn't have any sleep at all.

Thanks for your support and kind words. This means a lot to me.

As for the breeder, the vaccines were given too late, he should have got the first shot at 4-5 weeks and he took it only after 3 months old.

It's the kind of thing I had no idea you have to check when getting a cat. I thought I was well informed and it had been planned for a long time, more than 2 years, deciding to get a good breeder with healthy cats. The problem is that Chartreux cats are somewhat rare and there's only 3 breeders known in Portugal and only one of them had kittens available. One of the other breeders didn't have kittens at all this year and the other one was having problems reproducing cats.

But he will hear from us again. He already replied saying that all other cats are fine and healthy but I guess he wouldn't admit the contrary... or he could be charged with hospital expenses for Lestat. <not that I care about money now. He is receiving the best care he can get and I won't look at expenses to make him feel better. He will get the best treatment possible.

*sigh*

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 10-13-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Unread 10-13-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Oh no Lu - I've only just seen your post, I'm so shocked and sorry to hear about Lestat. I hate that they can't talk to us and tell us how they feel and that we can't give them the comfort we so want to. Am praying that he is making more of a recovery tonight.
Heidi xxx

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 10-13-2010   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Unhappy

Evening update:

At 8 pm I returned for another visit. He's still vomiting and continues without eating but the fever has not returned and the white cells increased from 0,8 (yesterday's value) to 1,5 which is still a small value but also a small victory. The vet said it was a good improvement in just 24 hours and that we need to be patient because it takes some time, it's normal. BUT this doesn't mean that he can't get worse again. The blood cells can drop again suddenly. This uncertainty kills me...

He continues at the hospital for another 2 days I would guess. He's in an isolated room and he's the only cat there. We stayed with him for 20 minutes and we was purring from the moment he saw us. He continues to try and jump to my lap but he's not allowed to do it. It breaks my heart for not being able to provide him with the comfort he wants/needs. I took the chance to pet and talk to him a lot but he still seems very down, poor guy.

When he saw us leaving he started meowing a lot and I always leave the hospital crying and with my heart in pieces.

I'll call again at 7 am tomorrow morning to check on how he spent the night and to see if he was able to eat a little without vomiting.

They will do another blood cells count tomorrow night.

I'm off for tonight - will try to sleep a few hours tonight as I didn't sleep last night. I was so scared and worried and still am. I feel so desperate right now. Nothing I can do but wait...

Tags
age , aggressive , animal , another cat , antibiotic , antibiotics , baby , bites , boy , breeder , breeding , care , cat , cats , color , computer , crazy , crying , diarrhea , diet , dry food , ear infection , eating , environment , fast , fever , fight , food , game , gift , girl , happy , health , hey , home , infection , kitten , kittens , lost , love , male , meowing , money , morning , night , not eating , pet , play , problems , sad , save , scared , scratch , shelter , sick , sickness , sleep , sleeping , small , story , thoughts , type , vet , vocal , vomit , vomiting

Sponsored Cat Links