It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-21-2010   #11 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicanimal View Post
Everytime I hear someone talk about declawing, I immediately butt myself into their conversation and unleash the info. I know, they probably think I'm crazy. But I am, who am I to disagree! haha.
I too do not turn away when I hear someone planning to declaw. I like to think I've made a difference here and there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-22-2010   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I completely agree with all of you. I live in the UK and was appalled to learn that declawing isn't banned in parts of the US. It makes me so glad that so many of you that live there are so against it and actively make others aware of how barbaric it is.
My cats are pretty well behaved but one arm of the sofa is fairly battered as Newt loves to scratch it. Once in a while I get a small pair of scissors and trim all the clicks in the fabric and it doesn't look that bad from a distance. There's a bit of carpet scratted up by Ripley on the upstairs landing but I just smooth it down and ignore it. As Heidi says, it's no big deal...
What I'm trying to say is that my cats are far more beautiful and precious than anything I own, claws and all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-24-2010   #13 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I only learned a couple of years ago how bad declawing really is. I used to think it was just their nails being taken out. Then when I found out it is really amputating their toes up to their first joint I wondered how something so horrible could still be legal. Recently I heard something else horrible about declawing. I heard there are two methods (both are horrible) of declawing. The one that is easier and cheaper is actually like a guillotine that not only amputates their toes, but actually cuts off half of their pads on each toe, so that not only is the cat missing their claws and last joint of their toe, but they are also missing half of their pads. The guillotine actually cuts their pads in HALF!!!! Can you imagine how painful THAT is???? I have some really good, sturdy scratching posts for my furbabies. Someone on this site recommended that I get scratching posts made of sisal fiber, because cats tend to like that better than regular carpet. You see, my cats were clawing at my wicker hamper and my wicker johnny-shelf (the shelf that is put on top of the toilet tank) I bought a sturdy sisal post and put it right outside my bathroom, and put double-sided tape on my wicker to keep the cats off. It worked really great. Even if it didn't I STILL would not have declawed my kitties. I cannot have curtains or my cats will shred them to pieces, so I just have mini-blinds and valances. Some of the blind slats have been chewed and broken off by the cats, but the blinds are replaceable--my cats and their claws are NOT replaceable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 10-25-2010   #14 (permalink)
Newborn

Meow is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Guilty

I wish I became a member of this forum years ago, when we first got our cat
. I live in Montreal , Canada and here to declaw a cat is like to give it its basic shots. When we first got our cat, the vet. presented to us the declawing procedure as a necessity. And now , after reading all these posts I feel tremendous guilt We don`t have leather sofas , nor do we have expensive carpets , and I really don`t know why we listened to the vet.
Now, we are scared to let our kitty to go outside, in the event where she would get into a fight and won`t be able to defend herself , due to our bad decision taking when it came to her claws. So please , for the love of God, if you are thinking of de-clawing your cat - Don`t! I wish we never did.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meow For This Useful Post:
Unread 05-09-2011   #15 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Breezy
Bella121827 is on a distinguished road

When a vet says they want to declaw your cat, they make it seem as if it is a simple procedure where they just cut the claws. It doesnt sound too bad by the name... what people dont know is what a vet is doing when they declaw a cat. A couch or carpet can be replaced, but a cats toes are gone forever once they are taken away. I have gotten 2 of my cats declawed(they both passed away last year) and after doing all of this research on this forum and google about declawing, i feel so guilty. The fact that i put a cat through serious pain makes me so sad. Imagine waking up with no finger tips... uggghh it sickens me.
Unread 05-09-2011   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

But you know the difference now, and do show remorse to the fact... That is a solid step in a good direction I daresay Spread the word to all the cat people you know.
Unread 05-09-2011   #17 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Breezy
Bella121827 is on a distinguished road

Oh, i will! I cant beleive i used to think declawing was an ok think to do...
I hope many people considering declawing their cat will read this thread.
Unread 05-09-2011   #18 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
Sunlight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
whew! When I first saw the title of your thread Kat my stomach sunk, I was afraid you were asking about it for your babies.

Yes, I am avidly rabidly against declawing. It is banned in at least 26 civilized countries around the world as cruel and inhumane, and six cities so far in the USA.

England
Scotland
Wales
Italy
France
Germany
Bosnia
Austria
Switzerland
Norway
Sweden
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Ireland
Denmark
Finland
Slovenia
Portugal
Belgium
Brazil
Australia
New Zealand
Yugoslavia
Malta
Israel

The USA cities are:

West Hollywood, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Beverly Hills, CA
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA

And Norfolk Va

Here is a website that gives more information, including the amputation that is actually performed on these poor cats.

DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

It is base mutilation for the sake of lazy selfish humans and I will not believe anyone who can use the words "love my cat" and "declawing" in the same sentence.
I can tell more two counties to your list: Cyprus and Hungary.
Thank to God in the European Union do not let people to do such a nightmare.

Tags
angry , animal , babies , behaviour , care , carpet , cat , cat lovers , cats , clawing , clean , color , crazy , crying , cut , dog , dogs , fiber , fur , furniture , hey , home , house , hurt , interesting , joy , kitties , kitty , lazy , legal , love , lovers , mess , museum , nails , natural , neutering , opinion , problems , sad , scared , scratch , scratching , search , small , spayed , thoughts , tips , window

Sponsored Cat Links