It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-22-2010   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Poor Sasha is on tablets for 3 weeks

I wrote in another thread that Sasha had a couple of sore patches on her head between her eyes and ears. We had gone on holiday for a week and when we picked her and Pixie up from the cattery they told us that these sore patches had developed.

Well we took her to the vet who said it could be an allergy, after she had checked her for ear mites and other parasites (my baby was clean of any thankfully!) So, she gave her an antibiotic plus an anti inflammatory injection. It seemed to do the trick, one side healed completely and the other almost. Then, she knocked the little scab off a few times and then another little sore redeveloped on the other side

So we whisked her off to the vets again this afternoon. This vet rechecked her and all was ok, but she said again it could be an allergic reaction, or just something from being in the cattery, being a different environment. But before she starts dong all sorts of tests she wants to give time for it to heal on its own, so she gave her another injection plus I have to give her anti inflammatory tablets each day for 3 weeks.

I give the girls a small feed at teatime - just a pouch of food between them which they always eat all of, so I ground the tablet up and sprinkled over Sashas food - and she ate it all up without a murmer So at least I am spared the trauma (for both of us) of trying to force the tablet into her mouth.

I really hope that this does the trick - I have never had a cat with skin problems before, if anyone has any experience of this please let me know!!!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-22-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

hallan is on a distinguished road

Aw, poor Sasha. I hope the tablets clear it up this time. It's good that you can sprinkle it on her food, I wouldn't envy you having to force her to swallow one each day.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-23-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

What is the medication called Heidi? Be sure to look it up and make sure it is okay to be given, crushed like that. Some meds have to be given whole to be effective. Or tell me the name and I will look it up for you.

Did the vet do the Woods test for ringworm? (it's basically just shining a special blacklight on it to check for the fungus) Of course if it was ring worm Dizi would have probably had it too. Wonder what went on in the cattery, did they feed her something different, or use different litter?

Have you made any changes at home? New laundry detergent or anything like that?

Poor Sasha! Keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 10-23-2010   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road

Poor Sasha. I hope she gets well very soon and keep us posted.

Lestat says hi and also wants her get better.

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."
Unread 10-23-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thanks Helen, she's a nightmare with pills!

Thanks Lu and Lestat, Sasha sends you furry kisses xx

Gail, thanks for the advice, it didn't occur to me that the tablets might need to be whole. They are Prednisolone 5mg, it's a form of steroid and she has to have a half tablet each day. So, I just phoned the vets to check and luckily they are ok to be crushed in food, as long as she eats it all obviously! The vets didn't do that check for ringworm, but to be honest it doesn't look like ringworm, and Pixie is fine.

When they stay in the cattery they always ask what food they are on so they can have the same, but I can't be sure that it's always identical.
I know the litter is different though. I can't think of anything else that is different at home though

So, I'll keep going with the tablets and hopefully this will work, although if not or it comes back after it will be back to the drawing board..

Unread 10-23-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

oh good I am glad the pills are okay to be crushed up.

If the pred is going to work, you should see results fairly quickly. Also check with your vet, because I think that medicine needs to be gone off of slowly, with a gradual reduction in dose. Steroids do need to be weaned.

Keep us posted on your Sasha girlie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 10-23-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
oh good I am glad the pills are okay to be crushed up.

If the pred is going to work, you should see results fairly quickly. Also check with your vet, because I think that medicine needs to be gone off of slowly, with a gradual reduction in dose. Steroids do need to be weaned.

Keep us posted on your Sasha girlie.
Gail you are correct as always - she tapers off in the final week when she will have a half pill every other day.

Will let you know how it goes

Unread 11-06-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

So, Sasha is on her final week of steroids, and from Thursday is only having a half tablet every other day. She didn't have one yesterday and is due one this evening. What I wanted to know though is because she has to be weaned off them, will it have an effect on how she is feeling? She just hasn't seemed herself today, she has been very quiet, although she has eaten fine. Could this be due to having her medication reduced?

BTW, they seem to have done the trick for now, just have to see if it returns once she is off the tablets completely.

Unread 11-06-2010   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hope Sashas rash goes away!!!!

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 11-07-2010   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

hi heidi, just seen your post about sasha, someone i know had a cat that got a rash between the ears like you describe, really red and sore looking, the vet done lots of tests but in the end they said it was down to stress because it only happened when my friend had gone away for the weekend, so perhaps it could be separation anxiety, just a thought.

Tags
advice , allergic , allergy , antibiotic , anxiety , baby , cat , clean , drawing , dry , environment , eye , eyes , food , great , hey , holiday , home , hurt , kitty , litter , love , mites , pills , problems , ringworm , scab , separation , small , steroids , stress , surgery , test , vet , weaned

Sponsored Cat Links