It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-23-2010   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road
Default Can't seem to get rid of fleas!!

Hi,

I'm experiencing something with Lestat that's becoming annoying.

When we picked him up from the breeder he was scratching here and there, nothing too bad but it just wasn't normal. So we took him to the vet and since it was time for de-worming (internally and externally) the vet applied Frontline Combo. He had indeed a few fleas which were supposed to be killed after 24 hours but no, not even 2 weeks after that.

When Lestat went to the vet last Wednesday I complained that he still had fleas because he continued to scratch on the exact same spots, head and neck mostly. I even took off his collar for a few days to check if that's what was bothering him so much but it was not.

The vet said the fleas could be resistant to Frontline so we change to Advantage which is supposed to kill fleas also in 24 hours. Today is Saturday and Lestat is still scratching and I hate to see it because the little guy must be really uncomfortable.

Has anyone ever had a situation like this where they couldn't get rid of fleas on a cat? Any advice or suggestion? I don't know what else to do... maybe call the vet?

This is starting to get on my nerves and my boyfriend doesn't allow the kitten to sleep in the bedroom with us, he's calling him a fleabag.

He didn't get the fleas in our house because we never had any other animals and they came from the breeder for sure. And that makes me even more mad because we paid a lot for a cat that should be flea-free. I mean, even in shelters they can give you a flea controlled animal! I talked to the breeder and he told me he used to give him Strong ID, which is a product/brand I never heard of but obviously that wasn't being effective either.

It's not like he's infested with fleas but he sure has a couple of them and I won't rest until they're all cleared.

BTW Lestat is an indoor cat (we live in an apartment so he never goes out).

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 10-23-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-23-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

Strongid is a dewormer not a flea control medicine!

Hmm..He's only been with you...what a month? And he's already had frontline plus, and advantage? I wouldn't recommend putting anything else on him yet, especially given he's only just returned to health.

It does seem awfully strange that neither of those meds have worked, are you sure it's fleas since the flea treatments? Are you seeing flea dirt where he sleeps? Have you found any fleas?

I'm wondering if you've got an allergy issue. Food allergy, possibly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-23-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

As Gail says have you seen any fleas recently? I'm not sure how long they can live off the host animal but any eggs can survive for a while so it may take a few weeks of vacuuming, washing Lestat's bedding, etc until they are completely eradicated from your home. I read some good advice from Gail in another thread which was to buy a flea collar & put it in the bag of your vacuum cleaner.
When we got Newt she came to us complete with some unwanted extras and it took a few months to get rid of the fleas completely and both of my cats are indoor cats. They can multiply really fast.
Poor Lestat, the little guy has been through so much!
Unread 10-23-2010   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

[quote=acerlt;108275]Strongid is a dewormer not a flea control medicine!

I'm starting to think that breeder is a clown!...

I put it in him under vet recommendation, he can have it once per month. So he had Frontline one month ago and now Advantage. I'm not doing anything without consulting the vet first, do not Worry.

The vet could find some fleas, not a lot but still some. As he has a dense short double coat it's not very easy to find the little bastards.

I asked that to the vet and he has no allergy. No food nor flea bite allergy.

Well he does seem a little better today, no scratching so far. Maybe it takes more than 24 hours to fully erradicate them... I'll wait and see...

Unread 10-24-2010   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

What about ear mites?

Also, why did you go to a breeder when there are litterally millions of cats and kittens stuck in cages just waiting to choose a human companion? Also, the rescue cats nine times out of ten are healthier than the kitty mills that they call "breeders". I know people go to breeders because they want a specific breed of cat or dog, but people are generally happier with pets that come from the pound or rescues than from breeders, and they are usually healthier too. Remember......
DON'T BREED OR BUY
WHILE HOMELESS ANIMALS DIE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 10-25-2010   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

AuntKitty,

He's scratching less and less, so I guess Advantage is being effective. Sometimes I worry too much but this is my first cat and I don't want to take any chances, especially after Lestat battle against leukopenia.

Regarding the question about getting a cat from a breeder is simply because we wanted this specific breed and being somewhat rare you can only get it from a breeder.

Nevertheless, I understand your point about homeless cats and rescue or adopt one from the several shelters out there or rescue one from the streets. And about this subject, a lot can be said, beginning with pet owners becoming conscious and responsible about neutering their animals to prevent unwanted litters and also think twice before getting a pet and then abandoning them because they grew too much or ruins the house.

I'm not trying to excuse myself in any way for going to a breeder and I don't regret it - even if you don't agree i hope you can respect my decision. I'm just saying it would be a starting point if everyone remembers this before owning a pet, being a cat, dog, whatever... It would surely help decrease the number of abandoned/unwanted animals.

Unread 10-25-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

I don't think any of us here regret you having Lestat. It was surely meant to be, because not everyone would have gotten him to the vet in time to save him. Who knows how much heartbreak that rotten breeder has caused people with their careless unethical practices.

You know, shelters are shut down and every cat euthanized sometimes, when there is an outbreak of panleukopenia in the shelter, in order to stop the spread of this terrible highly contagious disease. I do encourage you to report that breeder, as they will continue to spread disease if they are not stopped.

As for the fleas, he must have been infested badly to still be having trouble. Or, I guess he may have a flea allergy, so even one bite could drive him crazy.

Queen Eva was crawling with fleas so badly when I rescued her, I could see them on her body even, and she is a black kitten. Knowing this, I treated my other cats with frontline plus before I ever even brought her in, so they were protected (I don't normally treat for fleas).

I kept her isolated but that first 24 hours I was flea combing her hourly to get as many off her as I could, and I know it was inevitable that I would be tracking some flea dirt and eggs and larvae into the rest of the house, in spite of my precautions.

The next day I had her to the vet where she received a capstar, which is a miracle pill that kills every flea on the cat for 24 hours. Every adult flea. They literally drop off the cat in droves. 24 hours after that she was treated with revolution kitten dose.

I have continued treating all cats every 30 days and will for a full six months from the time I brought her home, to be sure that any flea eggs that hatch from the original batch die as soon as they jump on a cat. It's the only way to get rid of them completely. A month after Queen Eva came I started seeing some dead fleas so I knew a round had hatched.

Two weeks ago I again saw a few dead fleas, so they are still hatching. I have 3 more months of treatments to go. I hate putting that stuff on them, but it's the only sure way to get rid of them completely.

Back to Lestat, I recommend you treat him for at least a full six months.

please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-25-2010   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks Gail !

I did some research and it seems that Capstar is very good indeed and I heard about Revolution too. For now I cannot give him anything else, just once a month and he'll continue to be treated every month as the vet recommended. He seems much better, I over react sometimes when it comes to my pets. :P

My boyfriend calls me paranoid because he knows how I used to be with my dog, at the smallest thing I would run to the vet all worried. But I prefer to go and not take any chances.

I think I became a bit over protective with Lestat because I almost lost him a couple of weeks ago. I just don't want him to suffer any more, not even with a single flea.

Do not get me wrong, it was not my intention to come out strong on my previous post but I'm tired of people judging me for getting a pure breed cat. I know Auntkitty had a good intention and was just alerting me (I didn't take it as an attack or anything like that) and I understand her view and I agree with it.

Sorry if I sounded rude, sometimes it's hard to express myself exactly how I want in English, which is not my native language.

Unread 10-25-2010   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Mellow
musicanimal is on a distinguished road

I don't blame you at all for getting a pure breed. I currently have 7, and while none of them are pure breeds, I do one day (probably 20 yrs from now!) want 2 different pure breeds. My intentions are that when I get a pure breed, I will make up for it with going to a shelter and also bringing home a shelter kitty. I think for me it's the only way I could feel ok with it lol. I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but when we saved our 3 females they were absolutely infested with fleas. Not wanting it to spread to any of our other family we bought the frontline plus (which I know you said failed). However, we also got a house spray from the vet, and it worked well at making sure they didn't spread to our carpet or furniture. It was called Mycodex Plus, in a white with pink lettering (spraycan).
The Following User Says Thank You to musicanimal For This Useful Post:

Tags
advice , age , allergy , animal , apartment , attack , bite , black , boyfriend , breeder , carpet , cat , cats , collar , crazy , dog , fast , fleas , food , found , frontline , health , hey , home , homeless , indoor , kitten , kittens , kitty , lost , mites , neutering , rescue , save , scratching , shelter , sleep , uncomfortable , vet

Sponsored Cat Links