It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-23-2010   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road
Default Cat Personalites & Interaction - Your Stories Please!

One of the delights of cat companions ( I hate to use the term 'cat ownership' because we all know who owns who!) is the many different personalities our cats have. Some are highly strung divas, some are soooo laid back and many are somewhere inbetween. I think it would be nice to share stories of our cats' personalities and their interaction with each other and ourselves. I have two cats who are often so similar yet utterly different in their attitudes and personality. I find their interaction with each other and the humans who are lucky enough to share their lives endlessly amusing and fascinating.

This scenario happens quite often and it never fails to amuse me...

It is a sunny day. The windowsill in the front room is the most desirable place in the house. Ripley has claimed the windowsill mainly because that's where Newt usually sits. Newt wants to reclaim the windowsill, after all it's her usual place and Ripley is only sat there to wind her up. Ripley is bigger and meaner than Newt so Newt knows that full on confrontation will get her nowhere. Newt strolls casually over to the windowsill and starts making as much of a nuisance of herself as possible, reaching up and tapping Ripley on the tail. Ripley eventually is annoyed enough to jump down and give chase at which point Newt sprints off, doubles back round the coffee table and claims the vacant windowsill.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-23-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

LOL! Funny that is your first story because mine is similar, and it also happens often.

There is a sunny corner of the yard that is known as Tolly's Spot, but he is required to vacate and share now and then.

This time of year the sun in the yard is very limited and Tolly was soaking it up in his Spot. I was just watching as Mazy went over and gave Tolly a headbump kiss. It was Mazy's typical subordinate posture. Tolly accepted the kiss and Mazy went on to snuffle and nibble Tolly's ear and lick his nose. Even as I said "Aww...Mazy loves her Tolly" I knew what was coming.....

Yep, Mazy's next move was to heave her body on top of Tolly's and put him in a roll. Tolly took the hint and walked off, and Mazy curled up in the coveted Spot feeling very smug.

Thanks for starting this thread Helen. I'm sure everyone will have lots of interesting stories to contribute!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-24-2010   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Oh that's hilarious!!!! I have two cats, brother and sister that have been together since birth. Magis (female) is the smaller of the two--about ten pounds, her brother, Mr. Midnight is about sixteen pounds, but that doesn't stop her from pouncing on him. Then when he starts getting the better of her, she hisses and then lets out this MMMMMMRRRRRRAAAAAAOOOOOOOO sound that sounds like she is being killed, and he immediately backs off and starts to walk away at which point she will pounce on him from behind, and when he turns around, she gets up on her hind legs and swats at him, then he goes after her, gets the better of her, she hisses, lets out that MMMMMMRRRRRAOOOO sound, he walks away, and she pounces on him from behind, and this can go on and on until they are both tired and walk away in different directions and lay down

I made a typographical error. It should be "Magic", not "Magis"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 10-24-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I love the Magic and Midnight story and you tell it so well!

please read this first
Unread 10-25-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Meow is on a distinguished road

"( I hate to use the term 'cat ownership' because we all know who owns who!)"

hihihih , bull`s eye. Whenever I try to explain this notion to my friends, they never understand. At last, I find commrades
Unread 10-25-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sneaky
crash is on a distinguished road
Default Yet another cat partnership

Our pets tend to resemble us or take on similar ... quirks.
Mine groans when he doesn't want to be woken up (like me) and loves to sleep late, in bed, on pillow under covers.
Unread 10-25-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Mellow
musicanimal is on a distinguished road

You're right, so many personalities!! All 7 of mine have different characteristics. I could go on and on for days about it, as I have lots of research to go off of. Mainly though, I will explain heirarchy.

It's hard to identify, but still possible. I used to think that my main squeeze Devon, was the numero uno boss. Our 3-legged Patches is the outcast, nobody likes him. He does pick on the females tho, very badly. It's a hatred thing. Devon will put him in his place though. (Now it gets confusing) Devon, Patches and Oliver will all pick on Shadow. However Shadow and patches have the rivalry. I don't know why Oliver and Devon pick on her.

Devon will always inform me of empty water, or when it's that time to eat, or if the litter is bad, haha, or if he wants the door open to the catio. However, his blood brother Dexter is always quiet, always polite, never picks on others, never runs to the dish to eat, but will start a furr fly fight with Devon. And Devon cowers!! He will never go after Dexter. And Dexter owns our 6' cat tree. So I think Dexter is weilding power from behind Devon. And then you have Fluff and Checkers, who are always sweet, never cause issues, never act up, nada, zip zero zilch.
Unread 10-26-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Tolly is Top Cat. He was unanimously elected after Ootay left us for the Bridge. Ootay, tiny as she was, ruled the cat pride for almost 19 years. I expected Jennie or Mazy to take over, but it became clear early on the they were both deferring to Tolly's authority. He does not, ever, cover his poop.

Tolly is the oldest cat now, 11+ years, and has been here longest of the current gang.

Jennie is Second cat and very protective of her position. She exerts her authority by stealing Mazy's Spots, stealing Mazy's food and not covering her poop, though she does build a big pile of litter next to it.

When Queen Eva (the baby) came Jennie was very concerned about losing her position and made sure Queen Eva knew right off that SHE is SECOND Cat and intended to remain so.

Queen Eva was very submissive to Jennie, and avoided any eye contact until Jennie stopped feeling so defensive.

Jennie is youngest adult, 4 1/2 years, and third adopted in the current gang.

Mazy appears content to remain at the bottom. Queen Eva is the baby, but I think she will pass Mazy in rank as she gets older. Mazy approaches all cats with submissive headbumps and allows herself to be pushed away from her dish. Mazy just wants to be loved.

It's funny about Mazy because she was unsocialized when she came here, and while she got along with the other cats great right away (it was Bibbs, Ootay and Tolly then) it took years to tame her to living with me. But I think her willingness to be low cat on the pole is what made her so easily accepted by Ootay and Bibbs way back when she first came.

Mazy always covers her poop and pee thoroughly. And her one area where she rules is the litter box, Mazy is The Litter Box Police.

Mazy is second oldest, 6 1/2 years, and second adopted of the current gang.

Queen Eva is the baby and everyone loves her and indulges her antics. Tolly will allow her to chase him out of a sleeping spot even, at least he was allowing that. I'm not so sure now, as I am finding them curled up together a lot.

PS one thing that I absolutely love is how they all like to hang around together. Granted, my apartment isn't very big, but they are always to be found within a few feet of each other, if not on top of one another. ♥♥♥♥

please read this first
Unread 10-26-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Very interesting stories, and how familiar some of them sound

When We first brought Sasha home we weren't sure how Pixie would react so we set up a cage in our bedroom for Sasha, fully equipped with scratching post, igloo, toys, litter tray and her food and water. Pixie was very curious but not hostile in the least, she simply took up residence next to the cage. We shut our bedroom door at night to keep Pixie out and let Sasha have the run of the bedroom.

After a couple of days we decided to open the cage partially so that Sasha could start to explore but go back in if she felt nervous at all. Well, as soon as we did that Pixie was straight in there as if to say "this is MY house, and don't you forget it, newbie". She also ate all Sasha's kitten biscuits

She is bit of a mother to her at times, if Sasha goes up to her, Pixie always washes her head!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 10-26-2010   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I love that story Heidi, in fact I read it twice

Okay this is my all time favorite Game the cats play together, and they all four will play, though sometimes it's just two at a time.

I call it Chase Me Chase You. Anyone with two or more cats has probably seen it, one cat chases the other rip-roaring through the house, but the next time they come through the Chaser has become the Chasee, and so on.

Now, Jennie is not much for the running. Her idea of interactive Games with me is for her to lie down and bat at a string for a few minutes and then go curl up for a nap, exhausted (heehee). Or she'll play Catch The Bump Under The Rug for a few minutes, but that's all about it.

But when the other three get into a Chase Me Chase You Game she does get inspired. (she did this when it was just the three of them, too)

It starts with two, perhaps Tolly Chasing Mazy and Mazy Chasing Tolly. After a couple of rounds Mazy might Tumble Tolly, and while Tolly is Rolling, Queen Eva will jump in and Chase Mazy. So it will be Queen Eva Chasing Mazy, and then Mazy Chasing Queen Eva until Tolly jumps in again. And so it goes.

How Jennie gets into the Game is hilarious. Jennie Ambushes.

She crouches behind a box, or around a corner and waits until the others go flying by, then dashes out with her paws flying, slapping whatever she can hit and swearing to beat the band.

The reactions are various, Queen Eva goes into an instant Roll, Mazy usually kind of Leaps over Jennie, and Tolly peeps and runs so Jennie will chase him a little further.

Then Jennie will retreat and wait for the next Ambush oppourtunity.

And I sit here and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 10-26-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Tags
annoyed , another cat , apartment , art , aww , birth , bite , brother and sister , cat , cats , color , computer , defensive , eating , eye , eyes , fast , female , fight , found , friends , fun , funny , game , growling , hey , home , house , interesting , litter , love , lucky , nice , nose , ownership , pee , personality , play , poop , pounce , sleep , sleeping , stealing , stop , stories , story , tribute , water

Sponsored Cat Links