It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-25-2010   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road
Default Update on Lestat

Hi all,

I've been absent for some time and now want to bring an update on Lestat.

He's 6 months already and very healthy (since he had feline panleukopenia). He's growing and getting bigger to turn into a big beautiful cat someday. I took him to the vet yesterday (time for de-worming tablet) and he weighs 3,400 kilograms (same as 7.5 pounds I think). This cat is so spoiled, he received lots of kisses and hugs from the nurses at the vet hospital. I guess they miss him since he was hospitalized there and all the staff knows him very well.

He's so cool and calm when going to the vet that he didn't even move when a dog walked in for a appointment. The dog was all nervous (but was on a leash) and Lestat was out of his carrier and on the floor because we was being weighed at the time. I was getting ready to grab him once the dog walked in but Lestat didn't even blink, he remained cool like nothing was happening around him. Maybe because he never saw a dog before but I thought that there would be some tension between both animals.

At home he's behaving like a teenager now lol trying to disobey us whenever he has the chance. The only thing that he does that really upsets me is that he jumps into the kitchen table and counter. He knows he's not allowed and every time I catch him red-handed he runs away immediately and goes behind the sofa to hide. There's nothing interesting there (we never let anything nor food outside just in case) but I guess it's the forbidden fruit. *sigh*

2 months have passed since we took him and he's becoming more affectionate and sweet towards me, and even he's not a lap cat he occasionally jumps into my lap for a quick nap. Maybe it's the weather getting colder that makes him want to snuggle with me and I love it.

He is also allowed now to sleep in the bedroom with us but it doesn't always go well because he's very active during the night. He keeps waking up and jumping on top of us or exploring the whole bedroom and making noise, when he's not attacking our feet. At this time my bf usually kicks him out of the bedroom and the door is closed until we wake up.

Will he ever calm down? I know he's just a kitten and I guess that's normal behaviour, he has a lot of energy to spend hehe.

Here's a recent pic of Lestat sleeping next to me, always with a paw on top of me, to control the situation and not letting me go anywhere without his consent. :P

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 11-25-2010 at 10:17 AM. Reason: typo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-25-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi Lu, thanks for the update on OUR Lestat! Wow, he is so beautiful and I'm so glad he is healthy!

He is neutered already, right?

To help with the night time wilds, give him a long play session before you go to bed. Play his favorite Games with him, get him running and jumping for a half hour or more, then he will be more likely to sleep through the night.

Yes, as he gets older the wild behaviors will calm down a little, but that's not for quite a while. He may have a quiet period or two between now and when he turns two years old, (they often do, and I get all worried, and then they go back to normal) but you can expect a lot of hi jinks for a couple more years.

Kitchen counters and table are a loosing battle IMO. Does Lestat have a cat tree? Cats like to be up high, and if he doesn't ahve anything else to get up on, the counter and table are very attractive to him.

However, that being said, my cats have TONS of elevated space, and they still get on the table and counters . I just wipe them down with 'clorox anywhere' before using them for cooking or eating.

If it really bothers you, you can try this thing called sscat

Multivet SSSCAT cat repellent cat control training system

I have heard from people who use it that it really works.

Thanks for coming in and updating us on your (our) beautiful boy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-25-2010   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Gail,

to answer your questions:

1. He hasn't been neutered yet but he will be when he turns 7 months, I will make an appointment to December. I will take him to the vet hospital in the morning, they will run some blood tests to see if everything is ok and then they'll do the procedure. I will pick him up the very same evening. The vet said it would be better to wait until he's 7 months because his nuts may not be completely outside yet (something like this, hard to explain in english :P ). At the same time he will get his microchip and be tested for FIV and FELV (they are 99% sure he is negative otherwise he wouldn't have made it so well against feline panleukopenia). But I want to be sure therefore they'll test him, he'll be asleep anyway for the neutering so it won't stress him to poke some more blood.

2. We try to get Lestat tired by the time we go to bed but that kitten has endless energy. He goes to our bed and sleep for a couple of hours maybe, then it's playtime again. LOL I usually think it's funny/cute and just laugh but my bf is the one who gets annoyed by the situation. And if we don't pay attention he usually goes back to sleep or wanders off to the living room where he has his playcenter and toys.

3. Yes he has a cat tree, in fact he has 2! A smaller one and a big one with 3 different platforms. He's so wild and rough when playing that he knocks the cat tree down sometimes. We are going to buy a 3rd cat tree, because he's growing a lot and we think he needs an even bigger and higher tree with more platforms for extra fun and exercise. He loves his cat trees and he plays a lot: jumping up and down, stretching his paws, scratching, playing with the toy mouse attached to the tree, etc. My bf is already complaining that the cat is starting to have more furniture than we do!

4. As for the kitchen counter, I guess he's just curious because he watches me cook and prepare food and he suspects something happens on that counter. He usually stays at my feet (which can be a pain) and I have to constantly look down before I move or he sits in a chair observing me. It's usually worse when he can smell chicken, maybe because it reminds him of his canned food treats which consist of chicken fillets (he is not crazy about tuna, even tough he eats some cans of tuna too).

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 11-25-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: typo
Unread 11-25-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Okay...yeah I wasn't sure about the neuter because of his illness. I think you are wise to go with the blood work before hand.

I have trained my cats to not be underfoot when I am in the kitchen. I am very clumsy, dropping knives, cans, whatever, all things that could cause serious injury to a cat under my feet. If they sit at their meal spots I don't mind, but when they got under my feet I chased them away, until they learned what was allowed. Even Queen Eva has learned, but of course she has three adult cats to learn from.

Lestat may be becoming sexually mature which would have something to do with his night crazies, though many cats DO have night crazies. Tolly for instance, waits until I turn off the bedroom light and then he starts tearing around the apartment singing and playing with his fur mice, all by himself. Tolly is over 11 years old so it's not kitten antics. He doesn't do his tearing around in the bedroom, just the rest of the apartment.

How does Lestat react if he is put out and the bedroom door shut? Does he just go off about his business, or does he howl?

You didn't really ask for advice on this, but......

He comes to bed and sleeps with you at first right? And then in the middle of the night he wakes up and starts flying around the room with his own Games?

Here's what I recommend: as soon as he wakes you up, get up, pick him up and put him out of the bedroom and close the door. Do it in silence. Don't speak to him or acknowledge him in any way. Don't "yell" at him a few times first, and then finally as a last resort shut him out. This is very important.

Just...as soon as he wakes you, scoop him up and shut the door.

You want him to learn that middle of the night play time will not get him any kind of attention at all, it will only get him separated from you.

If you continue to allow him to sleep with you, and then when he starts playing get up and shut him out, immediately upon waking, he will eventually learn to take his play time elsewhere in the middle of the night, and then you won't be woken up at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 11-25-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Unread 11-25-2010   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post

How does Lestat react if he is put out and the bedroom door shut? Does he just go off about his business, or does he howl?
He goes off about his business without any fuss. I am truly amazed how he never complains. I assume he feels comfortable in the living room as well, he loves to sleep on the sofa too.

Thanks for your advice, that's what we do. When he wakes up and starts his late night "huntings", one of us will pick him up and get him out. We are both very sleepy to say something hehe. Didn't know that is the correct way to do it though.

For example, last night I went to bed and Lestat jumped on to the bed and snuggled next to me. I turned off the light and there he was very still and quiet. Apparently sometime during the night my bf woke up because the cat was being noisy and attacking his clothes that were placed aside in the furniture. He instantly kicked Lestat out of the room and closed the door.
This morning when I woke up and opened the door, Lestat was standing at the other side of the door, just waiting for me but he protested with a few meows lol like saying he didn't like to be thrown out.

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 11-25-2010 at 12:50 PM. Reason: typo
Unread 11-25-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Ah then, see, you guys really have the right instincts for being owned by a cat. You just naturally do things "right". Just keep doing that. It takes consistency and patience and time to train a cat, that's all that's needed. Well that and LOVE of course. ♥♥♥♥

please read this first
Unread 11-26-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi Lu, so glad to read this thread and see how well Lestat is coming along! I too get problems with cat playtime in the night with Pixie, she tears around the house mewing usually about 4 in the morning, but we don't get out of bed and she settles after a while. Sasha is out for the count all night

Have you and BF thought any more about a little playmate since Lestat got back to full health?

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 11-26-2010   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmithy View Post
Have you and BF thought any more about a little playmate since Lestat got back to full health?
Hi Heidi!

Well I would like to get another kitten but my bf is very reluctant... maybe I can convince him sometime from now.

Unread 11-27-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Lestat is gorgeous! Thanks for the update.
Ripley is six and she still wakes me up in the night playing, some cats never grow out of it! She wakes up around 4am, plays until 7am when she gets fed, has a bit of breakfast then goes back to catch up on her sleep while I go out to work. Newt will happily sleep through the night. Her most active time is 6pm to 10pm, much more civilised!
I too have given up trying to keep Ripley off the kitchen counters. She knows not to get up while I am preparing food or cooking though. Instead she sits on top of one of the cupboards watching me.
Good luck with persuading your boyfriend to get a playmate for Lestat. It took a while for me to talk my husband into a second cat but it was worth it!
Unread 11-28-2010   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Breezy
nperine is on a distinguished road

Hi from Maui Boy's mom ..

Lestat is adorable in his photo, asleep on your knee. Seems like he's basically an affectionate, friendly kitten. Especially after his being sick and all the time at the vet. It's a good sign that he's full of energy and interested in life after all he's been through.

Sounds like you're on the right track to put him outside the door if he decides he wants to play in the middle of the night. I'm not very friendly if I get awakened in the middle of the night by a playful kitty, who wants attention. So right away, we've had an understanding. I've never actually gotten up and put a kitty outside and shut the door, but in a very, very firm voice I get it across to them that, "Uh, oh .. no playing now.". Yes, I have had to say "No"!!! a few times, but my kitties learned quickly that it wasn't going to work to try and get me to play and pay them attention in the middle of the night. They patiently wait for my feet to hit the floor .. and then my attention is all on them.

Repitition is the trick.

Keep us posted.

Tags
adult , advice , affectionate , apartment , attacking , bat , beautiful , behaviour , boy , calm , cat , cats , color , crazy , eating , food , friendly , furniture , games , health , healthy , home , hurt , interesting , internet , jumping , kitten , love , mouse , neutering , night , paw , play , playing , problems , scratching , search , sleep , sleeping , training , vet , wake

Sponsored Cat Links