It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-06-2010   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road
Default Why Does AK49BWL Love Cats?

I already wrote this on my forum, but since I get next-to-no visitors there (it's not a large site lol), I'll post it here too.

From BWLInAlaska - Forum - Why Does AK49BWL Love Cats?

I get this question all the time, "Why do you love cats so much?" I'm a guy, so the common stereotype is that I should be a dog person. On the contrary, I'm quite opposed to most dogs, preferring the company of cats above any other pet. So I'm writing this, that way I have a centralized place I can refer people to for the answers.

So. Why do I love cats so much?

You want the easy answer or the complex answer? Ah, I'll just give both, but it'll turn out to be a long post anyway...

The simplest way I can put it? Cats appeal to my better nature. Now, how do I explain that I wonder... But first, let me get into the reasons why I love cats so much, then we'll move on. Maybe. If I don't somehow explain that in doing so.

First and foremost, and probably the most important... Cats are generally lower-maintenance. Give them food, water, and a fresh, clean litter box, and they'll be okay. For some, add brushing to that list so they don't end up looking and potentially feeling terrible and uncomfortable because of matted fur. Note I said okay.. Because what I mentioned above does not include giving them all the love they require, which is the most important requirement! I guess I'll confess that it also helps that I'm sort of lazy, and cats are very easily entertained from a sitting position... Strings, laser pointers, ping-pong balls, the list is endless. And if you get a cat that fetches, wow! Even more awesomeness. But hey, not all cats are really active all-play machines... A good number just want a nice, loving lap to lay in and be petted.

On to my next reason. See, cats are able to do something that no other (usual) house-pet can do... Purr. What can I say? I'm a total sucker for it. A cat's purr is just the most soothing sound I've ever heard. Love them up real well, and that is the reward... Besides the cat giving you the love in the first place, lol. Going to sleep at night with a purring cat (or two, or more?!) at your side is possibly the easiest thing in the world. Now, what dog could ever do that? I've never met one. Cats also tend to be sort of mellow, like me. Kittens, not so much, but they do calm down over time. And who can deny the cute-factor of ANY cat? They are all simply adorable creatures.

I'll also state that I'm not a real big fan of a lot of people I meet. Granted, there are also many exceptions to that, but the general rule tends to be that I prefer cats over most people. With cats, there are no politics involved, no arguing, no back-talk... Okay maybe a little, but hey, I like it when cats talk to me, lol. Talkative cats are often-times my favorites. Now if only I could understand them, that'd be cool. Cats won't judge you or make long-term decisions based on the things you may do or say... As long as you're still there for them at the end of the day, and giving them all the love they desire (and then some), everything is great in their world. Not only that, but they'll tend to make you feel better if you've had a not-so-great day. Almost nothing has the ability to help me wind down quite as well as a cat does. I wish humanity had the ability to let the past be the past as well as cats do...

Now maybe I can explain my "better nature" statement up there in the beginning. Cats have always been more appealing to me than anything else... And they also seem to prefer me over a lot of other people. I've seen this many times while I've been a cat volunteer at an animal shelter. Some people can't get anywhere near a cat, while others can touch them, but that's all. Then I'll come in, not ever having seen this cat before, and they'll end up being completely loving sweethearts that no one else has ever seen. Lap cats, completely affectionate wonders... There are times I wonder if people are right when they say that maybe I was a cat in a past life. At the same time, I wish I could remember that life if I actually was. A friend of mine told me that maybe I do in fact remember that life... And it shows when I interact with the cats.

Now, I'm not insinuating that I'm any kind of cat-whisperer or something like that... I'm definitely not. I guess I can say I sometimes see more eye-to-eye with them than anything else on this planet. They are definitely my favorite things in the world. Ha! I just thought of something else... I'm usually not very socially active in places where I don't need to be (like jobs, etc.).. And mostly for that reason, I have very few friends I would consider close. But if there's a cat in the place, I'm open to just about anything, and I'm usually a lot more conversational. Maybe I'll bring a cat to my job interviews...

Someday I'll have a place of my own where I'll probably have two cats to start with... But until then, I keep my eyes on the shelter kitties and make sure they get the love they deserve... While they help me to feel better at the same time.

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-07-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

What a great post Brandon, you are a true cat person for sure!!

I love my cats just "because"! They can be arrogant, goofy, loving, playful, skittish, scared of silver foil (Pixie ) but always so special and they mean the world to me

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-09-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

xytor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to xytor

I feel the same way as you.
The world would be a better place if everybody turned into a cat

All animals are awesome. I love dogs and birds and rabbits. But cats have a very special place in my heart; there's nothing in the world better than a cat!
They are the cutest creatures who are curious, loving and would rather stay in and cuddle than go out and chase cars.
But that's just the tip of the iceberg.

However, I don't understand why people think it's weird that you're a guy and you like cats.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-09-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

It's mostly the other guys. Cats aren't "macho", which everyday society deems so extremely important that guys be I cannot count the amount of times I've been asked, "Are you gay?" .. Whatever, let them believe what they want. The fact is, I'm happy, and their opinions of me do not matter to me.
Unread 12-10-2010   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road

I loved reading your post.

I used to think I was a dog person. When I was a child my parents didn't let me have a dog and I took revenge as soon as I bought my own apartment. A friend of mine used to breed Labrador Retrievers and he offered me a beautiful black female. She was my companion during the time I lived alone. I had a rather large apartment and had the advantage of living near the beach, so she always had lots of space and places to run and exercise. Unfortunately she died at a young age due to leishmaniosis. Not long after I moved to another apartment to live with my boyfriend right in the middle of the city and I knew I could not have another Labrador or big dog confined into a small space. It wouldn't be fair for the poor animal. And also it hurt so much to lose my first pet ever that I didn't want to have more animals (or so I thought...).

When my boyfriend started to talk about us owning a cat I confess I was not thrilled. I was always taught that cats are wild and not very affectionate, not able to give you unconditional love as a dog, etc. A wrong wrong view, I know now.

Just a couple of days I was thinking about this... I used to think I was a dog person but in fact I'm a cat person! I cannot explain it but my relation with my cat is somewhat different and more special. He gives me such good vibrations, calms me down in such a way that I can't express in words. And I am also "lazy", sleepy, laid-back and "independent" as a cat.
Just like you, it's amazing to go to bed and fall asleep at the sound of a loud purring. And they give so much love back, Lestat is such an affectionate (and spoiled hehe) kitten.

I'm sure that I will have cats for the rest of my life. I'm so in love with these sophisticated creatures.

P.S. My bf knows the feeling. He usually says Lestat is MY cat in order not to hear such things as cats are for women.

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 12-10-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Unread 12-11-2010   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I can relate to that. All my life (I'm 53) I thought I was a dog person because we only had dogs when I was growing up and I really loved them. My parents alway said they "hated cats" because cats ate birds, and not just ate them, but tortured and played with them because cats are mean and sadistic. I grew up believing that to be the truth. Then when I moved out of my parents house, I went to my friends house and they had an adorable cat that they couldn't afford to keep. I took the cat and fell in love with him, but it would be years before I would admit to myself or anyone else that I was a cat person. I have two cats now, and I just love it when they run to the front door every evening when I get home from work. I love when Mister Midnight tells me he is hungry by scratching his empty food bowl--how smart is THAT??? He will just stand there scratching the empty bowl with his front paw until I put food into it for him. I love when Magic jumps onto my chest or stomach when I am in bed, and curls up and just starts purring so loudly. It's just so beautiful. I recently joined a cat rescue and have been busy making styrofoam feral cat shelters for the poor cats that live outside.
The owner of the nearby hardware store always considered himself to be a dog person until....one day a little kitten walked into his store (in the summer, they keep the back door open) and just collapsed in front of his feet. The guy saw that the kitten was bleeding.. He must have been attacked by a dog, cat or something. He rushed the kitten to the vet who stitched him up. Well this has been more than a year and he absolutely loves this cat. He is this great big macho-looking guy who is so gentle and caring to this little kitty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
adorable , affectionate , alaska , animal , apartment , birds , black , calm , cats , clean , color , confined , cool , cute , dog , dogs , eye , eyes , food , fur , gay , home , house , hurt , kittens , laser , lazy , litter , litter box , love , loving , nice , night , person , pet , play , question , scared , shelter , sleep , small , smart , uncomfortable , water

Sponsored Cat Links