It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-24-2011   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Hawki is on a distinguished road
Default Cat Behavior question(s)

This morning Callie laid with me on the bed while I took a nap, She streached out claiming her half + some of the queen sized bed.
When I awoke she was still there and started to pet her. SHe got really friendly and was purring contentedly, really enjoying my affections...as I lightly petted her chin and chest area she lightly bit me?? nothing hurtful...I assume she didn't want to be petted there and gave me a warning. Yet she continued to purr loudly.
When Shadow was alive he used to sit on the end table as I sat in my chair and proceeded to nibble my forearms, not biting just grazing the skin, he also cleaned me thourghly I assumed he liked the salt from my sweat but his nibbling behavior always stumped me. Any clues what that behavior meant?

Butch
Husband to Rose, Servant to Callie; Man Butler to Slider.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-24-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

This kind of biting is probably communicating love and affection. Two cats will cuddle together, groom one another and nibble at one another.

Other kinds of biting

Warning biting: I don't like that, don't do it, usually accompanied by a hiss, or growl or other sound and the bite may be sharp, often sudden with no other warning, even if it doesn't break the skin. If the unwanted attention continues, the next bite will be harder and may break the skin.

Over-stimulation biting: accompanied by grabbing with claws, and biting hard, digging in with hind claws. Often the eyes go wild and the ears go back, in fact you can learn the signals that indicate that over stimulation is happening and stop the attention before it gets to that point.

These definitions are based on my own observations of cat biting behaviors over the years.

There is also the kind of biting Mazy did, and that is something that is deeply ingrained in her, I think. I don't know her early history, and if the need to bite deep and hard comes from trauma, or genetics or whatever.

I mean, she doesn't bite any more, I trained her not to, but it's still there, just under the surface, her involuntary reaction to anything is to bite, hard and deep. She has learned to control it, that's all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-24-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-25-2011   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road

Lestat does that too sometimes but I guess it is in a playful way.

Sometimes when I pet his chest or tummy he grabs my hands with his paws (front and back) and he bites me, but gently, you can sense that he controls the biting in order not to hurt me. He does a couple of bites and then he licks my hand like apologizing LOL. Bite and lick, bite and lick. I assume this is a form of play for him like he would do with another cat?

Other times he just enjoys the tummy rubbing and lays down all lazy hehe.

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."
Unread 01-26-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Breezy
TommyCat is on a distinguished road
Default biting?

I wonder if Cats get weird from vaccines? Just a random thought.

Tags
another cat , behavior , bite , bites , biting , cat , cat behavior , cats , claws , eyes , friendly , groom , growl , hiss , hurt , lazy , love , morning , pet , queen , question , stop , weird , wild

Sponsored Cat Links