It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-28-2011   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Hawki is on a distinguished road
Talking Help...Rehabilatate Callie the Thief

I need some help in curbing Callie's newest behavior issue...
Callie likes to hang out in Rose's sewing room, sitting on her sewing machine cabinet and looking out the window. Callie has also determined that ANYTHING in the sewing room has been put there for her playful entertainment. So far I had to make thread and bobbin holders (mounted on the wall) to keep Callie from using them as playtoys. Callie has still managed to find and pilfer another spool of thread, a magnifying glass, numerous fabric marking pencils and a brand new tube of lipstick from the sewing room. Rose found everything, except the lipstick, under our couch in the living room. Callie carries the stuff downstairs to play with them.
The sewing room has no door so that is not an option, putting a door on is not feasible either. We are thinking a "baby gate" would not keep her out either.
Callie's pilfering antics also include trying to steal Rose's glasses (while Rose watches her) she also lifted the laser toy and stored it under the microwave cart in the kitchen. Rose did give her the spray bottle treatment over the glasses...it didn't deter her, 10 minutes later she tried again. Persistant she is.
I suggested to Rose that she store Everything on the floor...my reasoning is once it's there Callie ignores the stuff, as evdenced by all the unused cat toys scattered around the house. That suggestion didn't fly.

News Flash...Rose just found the lipstick, secreated in a corner of the sewing room!!!

At what age will she outgrow this behavior??
She is driving Rose crazy The only thing saving her is ability to apologize with her eyes...nobody can stay mad when she gives you "The I know I did Bad, I'm Sorry Look".

Butch
Husband to Rose, Servant to Callie; Man Butler to Slider.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-28-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

Grow out of it? What makes you think she will? LOL!

Mazy cat is almost 7 years old and is still relocating objects. She puts most things under my desk or in the Box Fort.

The only thing to do with a pack rat cat is to change the humans' habits. This means finding places for everything, (especially things that can be dangerous to kitty like thread and bobbin) keeping them there. It is harder than it sounds, but you do learn after awhile.

For instance I have an eyeglass case for my glasses in every spot I tend to take them off. I learned early on if I fell asleep on the couch and left my glasses on the coffee table they would be gone when I woke up.

It's about the same as living with a ferret I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-28-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

aurora is on a distinguished road

im worried about this one basically if callie swallows a small object that can lodge in her throat you have one very unhappy puddycat
advise some catnip toys or balls in the room for her environmental enrichment might help by putting small things away
oska our eldest chewed through electric wires and we did get a spray from the petshop to stop him from going in that area and it worked and it was all my husbands stuff aswell ie phone charger expensive midi system we only got the spray due to the dangerousnes of the situation and the cat owes me husband about £300 lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aurora For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-28-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora View Post
im worried about this one basically if callie swallows a small object that can lodge in her throat you have one very unhappy puddycat
advise some catnip toys or balls in the room for her environmental enrichment might help by putting small things away
oska our eldest chewed through electric wires and we did get a spray from the petshop to stop him from going in that area and it worked and it was all my husbands stuff aswell ie phone charger expensive midi system we only got the spray due to the dangerousnes of the situation and the cat owes me husband about £300 lol
Hey Dawn that's a good suggestion!

Butch if you want to keep Callie out of the sewing room entirely you might try the sscat system:

Amazon.com: MultiVet SSSCAT Cat Training Aid: Kitchen & Dining

Keep it in the sewing room doorway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-29-2011   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Thanks Gail,

Thanks Gail,
That SSScat Cat thing sounds like a winner...of course, when Rose is in the sewing room concentrating on her quilting and that thing goes off...I expect to hear her rendition of a POed Marine Drill Instructor.

I am looking into ordering it. Thanks again.

Butch
Unread 01-29-2011   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Talking Callie the crook update...

This morning Rose and I discussed the sewing room issue (after Rose cleaned up the latest disaster). The discussion went as follows...

Rose: Could you build me a shelf with a door?
Me: Yes, How long? How wide?
Rose: I don't know.
Me:OK
Me: Rose, The shelf you want me to make with the unknown measurements; where in the sewing room do you want it hung?
Rose: I don't know.
Me: OK So you want me to build you a shelf...I don't know how long or wide and you want this shelf hung you don't know where in the sewing room.
Rose, do you understand why I some times partake of a malted beverage containing alcohol?
I will not repeat the remainder of the conversation, It wasn't pretty.

We then went into the sewing room and determined that if I made wooden covers for the canvas bins on her sewing machine cabinet door the problem would be solved.
30 minutes later, with the covers snugly in place Rose was a happy camper and Callie will now devise some other way of disrupting Rose's sewing/quilting domain.
Isn't Life Grand!!!!

Butch
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawki For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-29-2011   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I love it. Perhaps Callie will simply claim the new bin tops as personal beds made expressly for her comfort, and leave it at that.

please read this first

Tags
baby , beds , behavior , box , cat , cat toys , cat training , catnip , crazy , eyes , found , happy , hey , house , kitty , laser , love , morning , problem , small , stop , toys , training , window

Sponsored Cat Links