It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2011   #11 (permalink)
Newborn

Banfield The Pet Hospital is on a distinguished road

acerlt,

We try to make this decision as informed as possible. Here is an example of a handout we provide to clients who are considering declawing (see direction below*). Banfield considers this procedure ONLY as a last resort to euthanasia or to becoming an outdoor pet only. We always try to help clients find alternatives to combat destructive or dangerous feline behavior. Again, we only perform surgical onychectomy when alternative options can be harmful to the cat.

You all have very valid and genuine concerns, and we look to you as the "superstar" pet owners. Declawing is, unfortunately, the only thing that will preserve a place in the home for many cats. It is only in those situations that we look to this procedure.

*To access the handout, please go to banfield's website, then append the url with this: upload/feline-behavior-handout.pdf

Link: http://www.banfield.com/upload/felin...or-handout.pdf

Last edited by AK49BWL; 02-14-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-14-2011   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

from the Banfield pamphlet:

Quote:
If all else fails - should I declaw my cat?
Declawing, or permanent removal of the claws, should be
considered only as a last resort when the above strategies have
been unsuccessful and in cases where a cat's scratching would
lead to the surrendering of your cat.
This is not full disclosure.

"permanent removal of the claws" is misleading. It is more than "removal of the claws", it is amputation of bone, tendons and ligaments.

Printing up pages of this would be more honest and ethical:

Quote:
The Cat’s Claws
Unlike most mammals who walk on the soles of the paws or feet, cats are digitigrade, which means they walk on their toes. Their back, shoulder, paw and leg joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves are naturally designed to support and distribute the cat's weight across its toes as it walks, runs and climbs.

A cat's claws are used for balance, for exercising, and for stretching the muscles in their legs, back, shoulders, and paws. They stretch these muscles by digging their claws into a surface and pulling back against their own clawhold -] similar to isometric exercising for humans.

This is the only way a cat can exercise, stretch and tone the muscles of its back and shoulders. The toes help the foot meet the ground at a precise angle to keep the leg, shoulder and back muscles and joints in proper alignment.

Removal of the last digits of the toes drastically alters the conformation of their feet and causes the feet to meet the ground at an unnatural angle that can cause back pain similar to that in humans caused by wearing improper shoes.

Understanding Declawing (Onychectomy)
The anatomy of the feline claw must be understood before one can appreciate the severity of declawing. The cat's claw is not a nail as is a human fingernail, it is part of the last bone (distal phalanx) in the cat's toe. The cat’s claw arises from the unguicular crest and unguicular process in the distal phalanx of the paw (see above diagram). Most of the germinal cells that produce the claw are situated in the dorsal aspect of the ungual crest. This region must be removed completely, or regrowth of a vestigial claw and abcessation results. The only way to be sure all of the germinal cells are removed is to amputate the entire distal phalanx at the joint.

Contrary to most people's understanding,

declawing consists of amputating not just the claws, but the whole phalanx (up to the joint), including bones, ligaments, and tendons! To remove the claw, the bone, nerve, joint capsule, collateral ligaments, and the extensor and flexor tendons must all be amputated. Thus declawing is not a “simple”, single surgery but 10 separate, painful amputations of the third phalanx up to the last joint of each toe.

A graphic comparison in human terms would be the cutting off of a person's finger at the last joint of each finger.
source:

DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

Pics also from above source:

That's my idea of full disclosure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
kat
Unread 02-14-2011   #13 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

I would much rather see a pet given up to a shelter than be declawed. A shelter does not necessarily mean the cat will be euthanized.. I'm a shelter volunteer of 2.5 years, I know. Declawing, however, is forever, and much more impacting than your pamphlet is letting on. Personally I believe the rest of this country should follow suit of the other 25 countries listed in the link acerlt just posted (England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, France, Germany, Bosnia, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Slovenia, Portugal, Belgium, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand, Yugoslavia, Malta, and Israel), and ban the practice entirely. Sure it would inconvenience so many pet owners out there (who in my opinion don't make good pet owners if they're willing to mutilate the cat for their own convenience), but it would most certainly be better for the cats of the world if they did.

You know, I do have to wonder tho.. If you DID fully disclose what declawing does... How many people would actually still do it??? People with no remorse.. I happen to have a good friend who was misled (as your pamphlet is also), and she has 6 declawed cats, one of which is having early symptoms of arthritis, and he's only 8 years old... As soon as I showed and told her what this process REALLY entails?? Well, let's just say she will never do it again, and she has 2 more cats since then, fully clawed, and trained to use them in the proper places. Training CAN be done, with ANY cat, if people are so willing to take the time to do it. So, while I am glad you came to the forum to discuss this, I also have to greatly disagree with declawing on the whole, and I still believe it is not a good practice to promote declawing. As you said, it should be considered ONLY as a last alternative, where the cat will DIE unless it is done.

Just saw this post, so I'll append..

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
This (bolded) is simply not true.

Declawed cats are dumped in shelters and on the streets all the time. Ask anyone who works in rescue.

Cats are trainable. It takes work sure, but chopping off a cat's toes to save some furniture is pure selfishness. I really don't know how vets who do it sleep at night.

What a shame you think it's okay to amputate a cat's toes, creating behavior problems, gait problems, lifetime pain and early arthritis. And the worst part is, they often end up dumped anyway.

There is absolutely no justification for it.

"Special bond" my goodness, is that how you sell your mutilation, by telling people it will give them a special bond with their cat?

26 countries around the world, and 6 cities in the USA so far, manage just fine without this mutilation of cats. It is outlawed because it is considered inhumane.

You'd do better to work toward having it banned in the USA rather than trying to justify this horror.

PS Many people do not do follow up care properly. I belong to many pet forums. I can't even begin to count how many threads I see started with:

"I just had my cat declawed.

Why won't she play with me? Or Why won't she walk? Or Why won't she use the litter box? Why is she crying, limping, bleeding, biting, hiding."

People really ask these kinds of questions.

People are idiots in general, don't follow post op care for minor things, let alone something like this, and people who have a cat declawed are at the top of the idiot list.
As I've said before, I am a shelter volunteer and I agree with the second sentence. And you know, the most often seen reason for being given up? Litterbox avoidance, due to declawing. And I can't even begin to count how many of these cats DIE because no one wants a cat with litterbox issues, which is caused by having the cat declawed!!!! Maybe it doesn't happen in ALL cases... But it certainly is not a small number of cases either.

Another thing I just thought about that I've seen.. Cats without their claws will use their only remaining defense... And suddenly you have a chronic biter on your hands.. Yeah, that's really going to keep kitty alive isn't it...

Last edited by AK49BWL; 02-14-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Unread 02-14-2011   #14 (permalink)
Newborn

Banfield The Pet Hospital is on a distinguished road
Default Banfield Declaw Policy

Thank you for sharing all of this information here.

While I can't speak from a medical perspective, I know you are very correct when you say that communication is important. We do want our clients to understand what this entails, and this is true for any procedure. Each decision should be an informed one, and that's one area I hope we can agree is valuable.

Again, we don't mean to try to jump in here to change your mind. This is a forum filled with dedicated, educated and very committed cat owners, and you have very good and genuine reasoning behind your opinion. As a leading provider of pet care, we want to balance the needs of pet owners and their pets, and we can at least say that we offer this procedure as an alternative to more extreme options. We also value our opportunity to provide this procedure to cat owners with a professional standard of care.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. One final note we want to make is that PetSmart is actually not affiliated with Banfield. Though it naturally seems that way, considering the shared retail space, the two are separate entities. We completely understand that you are not comfortable visiting Banfield, but we do want to be fair in clarifying a distinction between the two businesses.

Last edited by Banfield The Pet Hospital; 02-14-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Unread 02-15-2011   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hawki is on a distinguished road

Gail,
It seems to me that YOU/we have hit a nerve with bainfield. We're not going to change their money making procedures but we can educate against declawing and maybe cause them some financial discomfort.
I'd like to get somethin off of my chest. Rose and I were ignorant about the complications with declawing and had Shadow declawed. Had I known the trama I caused him I'd have NEVER had it done.
FWIW Shadow seemed to not have any noticible effects from the procedure...although he was a biter.
I truely regret having it done and I am a convert.
As an aside, my mother had her leg amputated and my sister had 2 toes amputated, I know the issues it causes hence my sorrow at what I did to Shadow.

Butch
Husband to Rose, Servant to Callie; Man Butler to Slider.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawki For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-15-2011   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi Butch, yes, Banfield Public Relations has very pretty words. But it's clear they don't do full disclosure, nor did they deny that they offer "spay/neuter declaw packages" though it is not listed on their website.

The thing is, for a cat to have enough time to be trained, if they actually give the training a real effort, the cat would be too old and heavy to be declawed..by any standards of safety. What I mean is, it takes TIME to train a cat. You can't try half halfheartedly for a week and then say "forget it this isn't working, off with her toes".

Any vet that would declaw an adult cat deserves to lose his or her license.

I'm sorry you had it done to Shadow, but you didn't know. I know many who have done it and swear if they'd known, they wouldn't have, and would never do it again. That's why Full Disclosure is so important.

"Permanent removal of the claws" as it says in Banfield's pamphlet is a smoke screen. A disgusting smoke screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 02-18-2011   #17 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
dollydaft is on a distinguished road

I live in Scotland and I THANK GOD that we have a "REAL VET," nearby, not a BUTCHER, However I do have family living in the States,and will warn them to NEVER darken your doors, because like me, they love their pets, and would never consent to anything that would cause unnecessary pain or discomfort.

It's more Evil than barbaric, to mutilate animals.
Furniture and curtains can be replaced, beloved pets quality of life, cant.
Our two cats are trained, and apart from the usual mischeif, they are loving, and affectionate, but even if they werent, I wouldn't trust a vets chances, of keeping his/her own digits intact, if he mutilated and caused my girls unnecessary, pain or discomfort.(I've got my faithers temper.)

Wonder if the media in the US, know what you do, and how it affects the animals involved, BET there would be a public outcry, if someone made it public, and people told their stories of theirs pets suffering.
The Following User Says Thank You to dollydaft For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-18-2011   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollydaft View Post
I live in Scotland and I THANK GOD that we have a "REAL VET," nearby, not a BUTCHER, However I do have family living in the States,and will warn them to NEVER darken your doors, because like me, they love their pets, and would never consent to anything that would cause unnecessary pain or discomfort.

It's more Evil than barbaric, to mutilate animals.
Furniture and curtains can be replaced, beloved pets quality of life, cant.
Our two cats are trained, and apart from the usual mischeif, they are loving, and affectionate, but even if they werent, I wouldn't trust a vets chances, of keeping his/her own digits intact, if he mutilated and caused my girls unnecessary, pain or discomfort.(I've got my faithers temper.)

Wonder if the media in the US, know what you do, and how it affects the animals involved, BET there would be a public outcry, if someone made it public, and people told their stories of theirs pets suffering.
Unfortunately Dolly, declawing is all too common in the USA. Many vets in this country besides Banfield promote it, and do not give full disclosure on what it entails.

In fact some places actually offer it as run of the mill procedure to be done at the same time as a spay or neuter.

Yes it is sickening and people are working to have it outlawed but it's slow going as the almighty dollar rules, and of course you know how Americans can be about their "freedoms".

There are six cities so far in the USA where this evil has been outlawed:

West Hollywood, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Beverly Hills, CA
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA

And Norfolk Va

So many of these cats end up being dumped after they are forced to have these amputations done, that the argument that declawing keeps cats in their homes is a cat box full of crap.

There's another thread in here right now where someone is about to "rehome" their declawed cats. In my opinion, someone willing to do such a thing in the first place does not place enough value on the animal to begin with, and that is one reason these cats are so often dumped after all.

Love and declaw are antonyms. I believe with all my heart that if you can do such a thing to a cat, after knowing what is actually INVOLVED, you can't possibly love your cat the way you claim.

Sadly, the greedy vets don't give full disclosure. They call it things like "permanent removal of the claws" as in Banfield's pretty sounding pamphlet.

If they told what is actually done, I feel sure many would try harder to train their cats.

http://www.declawing.com/htmls/declawing.htm

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-18-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Unread 02-18-2011   #19 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
dollydaft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Unfortunately Dolly, declawing is all too common in the USA. Many vets in this country besides Banfield promote it, and do not give full disclosure on what it entails.

In fact some places actually offer it as run of the mill procedure to be done at the same time as a spay or neuter.

Yes it is sickening and people are working to have it outlawed but it's slow going as the almighty dollar rules, and of course you know how Americans can be about their "freedoms".

There are six cities so far in the USA where this evil has been outlawed:

West Hollywood, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Beverly Hills, CA
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA

And Norfolk Va

So many of these cats end up being dumped after they are forced to have these amputations done, that the argument that declawing keeps cats in their homes is a cat box full of crap.

There's another thread in here right now where someone is about to "rehome" their declawed cats. In my opinion, someone willing to do such a thing in the first place does not place enough value on the animal to begin with, and that is one reason these cats are so often dumped after all.

Love and declaw are antonyms. I believe with all my heart that if you can do such a thing to a cat, after knowing what is actually INVOLVED, you can't possibly love your cat the way you claim.

Sadly, the greedy vets don't give full disclosure. They call it things like "permanent removal of the claws" as in Banfield's pretty sounding pamphlet.

If they told what is actually done, I feel sure many would try harder to train their cats.

DECLAWING: What You Need to Know
Hi acerlt

When we read the posts, we couldn't believe that people still do this, even my husband was shocked and sickened.
My grandad told me about this years ago, and he said it was a barbaric practice, that should never be considered, he has a friend who lives in the U.S, and this guy, had adopted a cat back in the 80's, that had, had it's claws removed.
Glad to see that people are trying to get it stopped. My husband says that any vet willing to do this, should have his/her licence revoked.

As you probably know, our two kittens were dumped on us, when they were far too young, to be away from their mammy.
(so tiny I was worried about picking them up, in case I hurt them.)

They dont scratch, or bite, you can pick them up and they just cuddle in for the attention. BUT, they have never learned to retract their claws, so sometimes find themselves attached to things, and have problems letting go.
Poor wee soul looking confused as she struggles for a few seconds, trying to remove her claw from the bed.

They do use their scratch posts, and climbers, and they use their claws to grab small objects, but like I said their claws occasionaly get caught in my crochet blanket,lol. its only because they just dont know to retract their claws.

That doesnt mean they deserve to be mutilated and subjected, to a lesser quality of life.

They have never scratched us or anyone else, and they seem happy. They dont destroy furniture or curtains, but thats because from day one, they were encouraged to use a scratch post, and praised whenever we see them do it.

They need their claws to play, they need them to use the litter box, and yes it takes time and patience, but it's not that difficult to train your pet.
Wouldnt be without Molly and Lillian for the world, they are almost like wee bairns.

Hmm these uncaring folks who mutilate their pets...if their child destroys the house, do they remove the destructive arm, or teach the child right from wrong??
Unread 02-18-2011   #20 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

"Oh but cats aren't human, to do that to humans is barbaric but it's okay for cats."

/extreme sarcasm / money-mongering company view

Tags
age , behavior , bite , breed , car , care , cat , cats , claws , crying , cut , dogs , eyes , family , feedback , found , furniture , health , hey , hiding , home , hurt , internet , kitten , kittens , laser , medical , night , opinion , pet , petsmart , play , prayers , problems , rescue , scratch , shoes , sleep , smart , spay/neuter , stop , surgery , traditional , training

Sponsored Cat Links