It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > General Cat Discussion > Cat Chat
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-25-2011   #1 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road
Default Declawing nightmares - for those of you who cannot make up your mind... this will!!!!

the Declawing Menu - Educate!! Don't Amputate!! (tm)

Hi guys, i've just found this site, and frankly I think it needs to be seen by as many people as possible so that the message can get out there. If you have or have ever questioned declawing, or even considered doing it to your cat, please have a look at this site... and see for yourselves...! This really gets to me!!!

Its the shocking truth!!!

Declawing is CRUEL!!!!!!!

Just a little extract from the site... what a stunning story:

" March 23, 1999

I was lying on my couch suffering with a terrible flu. Three of my cats had placed themselves on my body to keep me warm, or, perhaps, to keep themselves warm. Michaela had positioned herself on my left thigh and hip. Her sister, the exquisite and self-appointed PRINCESS of Leonessa Cattery, Macaroni, had placed herself between my left breast and left shoulder, so she could be closest to my face. Fabrizio was nestled under my right arm.

I patted Michaela and told her how marvelous I thought she was, then patted Macaroni, who was gazing, adoringly, into my face and told her how marvelous I thought she was. As I turned to my right, away from Macaroni's adoring gaze, to tell Fabrizio how marvelous I thought he was........Macaroni took my chin in her paw, extending her middle claw, for emphasis, and pulled my face back so that I was looking ONLY at HER, so that I could, again, reiterate, how marvelous I thought SHE was.

This intimate, complex communication could never have happened with a cat who had been declawed.

So much of a cat's ability to express itself and communicate with us depends on its bendable "fingers" and retractable claws. This feature is, especially, what separates cats from all other creatures and makes them such a "human" pet.

To declaw a cat is not only a crime against the animal, it is a crime against Nature, Herself!!!

DON"T DO IT!!!!!

P.S. For all the dog lovers who might read this, I mean this, in no way to cast aspersions on the glory of dogs. Having bred, trained and showed German Shepherd Dogs for thirty years of my life, I KNOW how wonderful and uncannily intelligent dogs are. It is interesting to note that a dog's nails can wreck havoc on hardwood floors, on doorframes, pawing to go out, on the dog food cabinet doors, pawing to get in. On a silk dress when a dog paws your leg for attention.........yet no one proposes that we amputate a dog's toes. We would be horrified by such barbarism! WHY? WHY? WHY? do we amputate a cat's toes??? Is it because we can dominate dogs, but a cat is never dominated? Is our need for control so great that we would mutilate a little cat so that we can subjugate it? Are we jealous of the cat's independence, its inborn sense of superiority? WHY??!! "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kat For This Useful Post:

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-25-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

HI Kat, nice to see you! Yes, there have been a number of discussions here recently about declawing. You might notice in my signature I have added a link which gives a graphic and true description of what declawing entails.

Part of the problem is greedy vets who don't give full disclosure. They tell the client it is "simply permanant removal of the claws" . they make it sound easy and pretty.

Declawing is 10, TEN, amputations of the cat's toes, bones ligaments and tendons,and the cats actually walk on these toes, so they are left with pain and crippling gait for the remainder of their lives. Four paw declawing is an even worse horror. Imagine not even being able to scratch at itch.

In another forum just yesterday a new person came in and wanted to know why their cat, who they'd had declawed 6 months ago, was acting like her feet hurt. Either the person is an incredible moron, or the vet lied about the procedure.

Then, in another forum there's a young woman who took her cat in to be spayed and unbeknown to her (so she says) her boyfriend had also arranged for the kitten to be declawed. In that forum though we aren't allowed to speak our minds, even though the forum's official stance is anti declaw. That kind of boyfriend a person doens't need in my opinion, but I was not allowed to say so.

There is a thread here about Banfield, the vet clinic chain that works out of Petsmart stores and their declawing practices. Aunt Kitty started the thread and eventually a Banfield Public Relations person came in and tried to make it sound as though they "only do it as a last resort" what a cat box full of crap

Here's the thread

Banfield promotes declawing

And of course there's always at least one thread where someone had their cat declawed and now they want to dump the cat. People who do this thing, knowing what it entails, apparently place so little value on the pet that dumping the cat is just the next step after having the cat's toes amputated.

please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-26-2011   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

If Banfield was in Europe, where they don't declaw, what would their last resort be then since it, obviously, can't be declawing? Obviously, in Europe, cats scratch things too. I would love to hear from people in countries where declawing is illegal, and find out what they do when their cats scratch their furniture.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-27-2011   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
Sunlight is on a distinguished road

I am shocked. This is the first time I listen about declawing. I am from Europe, and I have never listen somebody do this to a cat. And this is legal?! It is just terrible.
Our cats scratch furniture also, but... I think a normal, if you do not except the cat in that way how they are, do not take cat home. Or if you do, do not cry after for your furniture. There are special things for the cats to scratch, what everybody can buy, you can teach your cat to use that, or an example: my cats love to scratch chair. So I gave them an old chair what I wanted to throw. And they love it. That chair is just theirs, they do with it what ever they want, and they enjoy it. so, if you love cats, you can find a way what is the best for the cats and for you, too. But declawing???? NEVER!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunlight For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-28-2011   #5 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

I've just read the post about Banfield promoting Declawing, and it put shivers down my spine! I just cannot believe that they are still arguing us against it, This has really saddened me, and I just hope that cat owners are more logical that that lot, and don't WANT to put their cats through that torment... I cannot believe it!!! Shocking!

Unread 02-28-2011   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for posting this Kat, some of the cats stories broke my heart.

I must admit, being from the UK, until I joined this forum I was completely ignorant about declawing and didn't know such awful things went on elsewhere in the world.

I agree with Sunlight, if we decide to have cats we just accept that our home is going to get trashed eg furniture, wallpaper and carpets clawed, running up curtains etc. We buy scratching posts to encourage them away from the sofas, but at the end of the day SO WHAT! It's all part of being a cat owner and we live with it. I wish the countries that allowed this would wise up to the fact that decawling is mutilation, both physically and mentally and vets who condone this cannot be animal lovers and are simply in it for the money - and just ban it!!

I feel the same about the way dog owners get their dogs tails docked for so called aesthetic reasons - and the vets who agree to it, it's barbaric

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 03-01-2011   #7 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

Thanks Heidi, yes I totally agree... before I got my 2 babies, I was also so ignorant to declawing, and really anything that had to do with cats... now that I'm so in love with my little ones, I couldn't imagine how anyone with a heart could do that to their little babies... it baffles me beyond belief.

I also feel the same about the dogs tails... I have NEVER understood why that had to be done... I mean, how in heavens sake will that change their scope of life.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, why would you want a pet, if you are so worried about your materialistic things being damaged, when all an animal wants and does is get / give love unconditionally, even if you mutilate them, they still manage to love you no matter what. You know, when I get home, and I see Sasha and Dizi, I forget about all the stress of the day, and I am so relaxed! That's what they do to me... they just make me feel so happy! So to perform such an inhumane act on the creatures that never judge is just beyond irony...

Unread 05-08-2011   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Breezy
Bella121827 is on a distinguished road

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this, i think its great to get this out to anyone who is thinking about declawing their cat. I am getting a kitten in 5 weeks and my dad was wanting to declaw her. I thought declawing was 100% safe and not painful...until i did research. I was so heartbroken to think that declawing is actually legal. I live in the US and i really hope it will be banned from the US soon. I talked my dad into not declawing our kitten, and im so glad i did the research. Were buying softclaws instead of declawing
The Following User Says Thank You to Bella121827 For This Useful Post:
kat
Unread 05-12-2013   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Buttercup is on a distinguished road

I don't have any of my kitties declawed and never will, once had a scratching problem with a cat and used soft paws. Luckily my cats now use their post.
Unread 05-12-2013   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

physcodelic63 is on a distinguished road

I live in Illinois and had cats all my life, most of my cats were inside / outside cats that were never declawed. when I got married we moved to an area that was by a busy street and people have no regard for animals in the street. So I wanted an inside cat and the only way I could have a indoor cat was declaw , my husband grew up with the concept that cats were evil, peed on everything, and would rip and shred everything you owned. 27 yrs later he still has misconcepts about cats. So yes Sebastian is declawed and he will be my last cat I own. I will be 50 soon I have had cats in my life since age 3, tired of the cat litters, hair, responsibility of them & the sickness, bawling my eyes out when they pass away. I know it sounds cruel in a way, i have a lot of medical problems now and finding it hard to take care of pets now

Tags
age , aggressive , animal , boyfriend , cat , cat's , cats , claws , communication , dog , dogs , food , found , great , home , hurt , interesting , kitten , love , lovers , medical , moving , nails , nice , opinion , paw , pet , petsmart , problems , scratch , sickness , smart , spayed , story , surgery , why?

Sponsored Cat Links