It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-15-2011   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road
Default jonesys not been well

jonesy had 12 fits from thursday till saturday, had to take her to the vet friday and emergency vet saturday morning, both times she got a diazepam injection which made her really dopey and she still had fits after the injections.

Thankfully on sunday no fits and she looked much better. Mikey looked really depressed and upset as well, he was sleeping a lot and confused that his pal wouldnt play with him. So since sunday she has been fine and hopefully that was just a bad cluster, i felt so sorry for her.

On saturday i seen an emergency vet that i dont know and she said if her epilepsy got so bad that medication couldnt control the fits i would have to consider her quality of life i.e. have her pts. This really upset me as no one else has ever said this to me before. Other people i know online with epileptic cats say it should always be manageable with meds. I mean she's not even 2 years old yet, we would be devastated and so would little mikey.

If she has any more fits she is to go back and get her blood tests done again, if not i've to take her back for a check up in a month.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-16-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Oh my gosh Jan, I am so sorry! Up until then her seizures were controlled weren't they?

Didn't they do blood work right away? I would think the vet would want to check the phenobarbital levels. Perhaps a higher dose may be needed.

Is it possible she got into something toxic? Plant perhaps?

Is she drinking a lot of water by any chance? I ask because my sister's dog Molly who has seizures suddenly started having them all the time after them being under control for years. They found out that she was drinking so much water after she get her meds, she was diluting the medicine and it wasn't having the same affect.

One more question, what is she eating? Wellness had a recall a couple weeks ago, because of insufficient thiamine, are you feeding wellness?

Quote:
Early signs of thiamine deficiency may include decreased appetite, salivation, vomiting, and weight loss. In advanced cases, neurologic signs can develop, which may include ventriflexion (bending towards the floor) of the neck, wobbly walking, circling, falling, and seizures.

Anyway, please keep us posted on Jonesy, okay?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-16-2011   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Oh my gosh Jan, I am so sorry! Up until then her seizures were controlled weren't they?

Didn't they do blood work right away? I would think the vet would want to check the phenobarbital levels. Perhaps a higher dose may be needed.

Is it possible she got into something toxic? Plant perhaps?

Is she drinking a lot of water by any chance? I ask because my sister's dog Molly who has seizures suddenly started having them all the time after them being under control for years. They found out that she was drinking so much water after she get her meds, she was diluting the medicine and it wasn't having the same affect.

One more question, what is she eating? Wellness had a recall a couple weeks ago, because of insufficient thiamine, are you feeding wellness?

Anyway, please keep us posted on Jonesy, okay?
hi gail, thanks for the reply and info, yes she was doing well on meds, its possible i missed a dose possibly two the previous week, i was having a really stressful week and may have forgot a tablet or two, no more than that, but although i feel awful if it was my fault im hoping that this was the reason. At least i can understand why it happened.

The vet said she had lost a little bit of weight, not sure if this is because she has been exercising more running around with mikey or maybe he is having more of his fair share of food. I give them felix wet food, and only give them dry food once a week as a treat, she doesn't drink very much because she is on a wet diet.

She has been totally back to her normal self since sunday and is looking a lot happier and back to running around the house with mikey so fingers crossed it was a one off, she looked so miserable.

Her fits are quite short usually less than a minute, and when all these fits were happening they got shorter and shorter until she was having those mild sort of staring fits and then from sunday morning she had a normal expression on her face and has been great since then.

I've never been through that many fits within a short space of time, can they get any harmful effects from this like brain damage? Do you know if epilepsy will shorten her life expectancy?

If she has any more fits they will do her bloods again, she had that done not so long ago and they didnt want to do it again unless she has any more fits because she wont let them take blood from her, (she turns really wild!) so they have to take her in and sedate her for it and they didnt want to take her in all day incase she was stressed.

All being well she has to go back in around three weeks time. About her getting poisioned i doubt it gail, nothings changed around here and i dont own any plants.

will let you know how she is doing, hope your gang are all well, jan
Unread 03-16-2011   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

just to add gail that her weight is 7.2 lbs and she isn't a big cat so im not too worried about her weight, she was putting on weight due to the medication and they told me to keep an eye on that. She has never been a cat that got excited about food which was a first for me, all my cats would pace around and meow when i was putting out food, jonesy never seemed that fussed, but after a fit she wolfs it down like she's not eat in days, so during the few days she was fitting she ate loads of food.
Unread 03-16-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yes, that is common, voracious appetite after a seizure episode.

I'm glad Jonesy is doing better. Some kitties do have such a severe disorder that missing a dose or two can cause break through seizures. Fortunately for me my Tolly boy has missed a pill now and then over the years without any repercussions.

Keep us posted on her, okay? Hope Mikey is doing okay, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 03-20-2011   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Jan, I am so sorry to hear Jonesy has been ill.
I really hope that she is better now and back to her usual self.
Unread 03-20-2011   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

thanks helen, she is much better, when i picked up her prescription the other day they never had 15mg pills and could only give me 30mg ones which i had to try and half in two, when you try and half them they break up into little pieces and powder and i got so worried about her not getting an accurate dose and equal amounts that i phoned the vet back and by this time they had her 15mg pills so that was a relief, i didnt want to take the chance especially after how sick she was last week. Hope newt and ripley are well, jan
Unread 03-20-2011   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
thanks helen, she is much better, when i picked up her prescription the other day they never had 15mg pills and could only give me 30mg ones which i had to try and half in two, when you try and half them they break up into little pieces and powder and i got so worried about her not getting an accurate dose and equal amounts that i phoned the vet back and by this time they had her 15mg pills so that was a relief, i didnt want to take the chance especially after how sick she was last week. Hope newt and ripley are well, jan
Oh Jan, yes, that would have been no good at all. For future reference, if that happens again, ask the vet to write a prescription for the correct dose and get them at the human pharmacy. That's where I get Tolly's pills.

(another tip is to get the new prescription filled before the old prescription has run out, so you always have a carry over. I always keep a month's worth of Tolly's pills in the Emergency Carrier, which is a pop out carrier that folds flat that I keep in the living room. In an emergency I can pop it open and stuff all four cats in it, just to get them out in a hurry.)

Glad Jonsey is doing better, hope Mikey has got over his fright over it all too. Any you.

please read this first
Unread 03-20-2011   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

thanks gail, they're are both doing well, i usually order her pills when shes got about a weeks worth left, they are really strict about giving out the phenobarbitol because its a controlled drug, they will usually send out repeat prescriptions by post but you cant have those pills sent out, i have to go down and pick them up, fortunately its only a ten minute walk from my house.

Mikeys favorite thing just now is collecting things to cover up his food after eating, plastic bags, toys, clothes, dish towels, that little man has some crazy habits!
Unread 03-20-2011   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Funny Mikey!

yes the phenobarbital is well controlled here too. The way I was able to get ahead, now that I think about it is when I switched vets. The old vet had just given me a 3 months supply. When I brought Tolly to the new vet I had a couple months left still, but got it from there too.

The clinic now I use doesn't even carry the phenobarbital in the clinic any more. Anyone with a pet on that med has to get a prescription written and get the medicine at a human pharmacy.

This came about because one time Tolly was given the wrong dose by accident. The mistake was compounded by the fact that I always check pills before I leave, and I noticed they were different and asked about it. The person I asked disappeared in the back for a moment then came back and blithely said they were just a different supplier, but the same drug.

I had my doubts though, and when I noticed Tolly getting very quiet after about two weeks on the new pills I brought him to the vet. Vet took blood and we discovered his phenobarbital levels were way out of range. I showed her the pills and it came out that they were the wrong dose. Lucky for them I am not litigious.

I don't know if the person who filled the prescription was disciplined. Tolly was given free blood work then, and six months later, to be sure he suffered no serious consequences, and the clinic decided to stop carrying those kinds of drugs in any maintenance quantity.

Having a couple of months back stock gives me great peace of mind.

please read this first

Tags
boy , cat , cats , changed , clean , crazy , cut , depressed , diet , dog , dry , dry food , eating , eye , eyes , food , found , great , hey , home , house , kitties , loss , meow , missing , mistake , morning , pill , play , question , sick , sleeping , story , toys , upset , vet , vomiting , water , weight , wet food , wild

Sponsored Cat Links