It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-22-2011   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Jennie's obsession

My cats are fed a canned diet with the exception of Mazy cat who has to eat a prescription diet. She won't eat the canned prescription food so against all I believe in I have to feed her kibble.

Anyway, I keep her kibble in a very heavy pyrex glass bowl with a tight fitting lid. One night when I had to work until very late (midnight) I must not have put the lid on properly before I left the house. Jennie, with the unerring instinct for any food, found it that way and capitalized on my mistake by prying the lid off.

When I came home so very late, expecting to find starving cats, I found an almost empty storage bowl and four cats with full bellies, but Jennie was still up there, still eating.

Ever since then Jennie has not stopped hoping to find that container open again. She keeps jumping up there and investigating. But then it got worse. She started pushing the container off the counter onto the floor. It hasn't broken, it is very solid, but I became worried about the danger of this. What if one of the other cats were on the floor just there when she knocked that thing off?

So now I keep that container in the oven. I've taped a little note on the oven knob to remind me to remove the cat food before turning on the oven. At first Jennie kept getting up on the counter looking for that container. But now she has seen me take it out of the oven, and put it back. So now she sits and stares at the oven, pawing at it now and then, trying to figure out how to open it, and get in there.

I feel bad for her. Poor Jennie ALWAYS wants to eat. I know she has food anxiety from being a stray for so long (and even raising at least one family on her own) but I think her obsession goes beyond that. Poor girl, there isn't much I can do for her relentless desire to eat but try to keep her distracted as much as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 04-22-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-22-2011   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Worried
alleygata is on a distinguished road

Oh what a cute story. I know how she feels! LOL They are so smart, aren't they? Some more than others.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-23-2011   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

jonesy recently knocked over a glass pyrex dish that had tuna pasta in it, it had a fitted plastic lid on it so i thought it was safe from thieves but because she could smell the tuna she kept nudging it, just as i realised what was going on i heard it smash on the floor into really sharp pieces, luckily mikey wasn't underneath it at the time. Jonesy is really picky with food but she never stops trying to steal food from the kitchen!

Shame for jennie, if she doesnt eat prescription canned food how does she get her meds, i thought at first it was in the dry food, but im assuming its not because all the other cats would have eaten her medication which would have been a problem!
Unread 04-23-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi Jan. It's Mazy who is on the Prescription kibble. The only medicine she takes is a supplement called Cosequin for cats, for bladder health, and I sprinkle that over the kibble after adding a little water to the dish.

I don't free feed. No one gets Mazy's dry food but Mazy, the other cats are on canned food, all cats are fed on a schedule.

Jennie doesn't take any medicine currently but when she was on antibiotic I just put them down her throat the same way I pill Tolly three times a day. Tolly is the one who takes phenobarbital and denosyl, three pills a day, I just push them into his mouth and he swallows them. He gets a chaser of a little mayonaise or food with his phenobarbital, and a chaser of water with the denosyl. (that has to be given first thing in the morning, empty stomach, no food for at least an hour after)

I'm glad no one was hurt when Jonesy knocked down that bowl! You must have hard floors! My floor is just cheap linoleum over creaky sub-floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleygata View Post
Oh what a cute story. I know how she feels! LOL They are so smart, aren't they? Some more than others.
Yes they are sometimes too smart for their own good! It's a struggle to keep Jennie from getting too fat, even with schedule feeding!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-23-2011   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

sorry meant mazy not jennie, lol, that's a lot of meds your doing i suppose it just becomes a routine, i've got jonesys pills in a seven day pill box and i have two alarms for morning and night pill time, im a bit forgetful at times so dont want to take any chances after her last episode.

Oh and i just got cheap wood effect lino over creaky floor boards but this was a really thin glass container not one of those chunky ones, i try not to leave anything lying around now cos they are always up at the counters, i have gave up trying to stop them, they've got me beat!!

Last edited by chooch; 04-23-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Unread 04-23-2011   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh yes, it all becomes routine after awhile. Tolly has been taking the phenobarbital and l-lysine for almost 10 years. He has been taking the denosyl for about 16 months. And of course there was Ootay, she was taking pills 8 times a day, poor little thing, not to mention her sub q fluids, for all those years. And years before that there was Baby, my asthmatic kitty, he took prednisone.

I keep a cat journal. It's a notebook left open on my kitchen table in which I write down everything, including feedings and toilet habits. I got into the habit of it with Baby (that was back in 1985) and just have always kept the habit up. I have over 100 notebooks, I suppose I should throw the old ones out, but I have also written down little stories about the cats in them over the years too, so I save them.

Using an alarm is an excellent idea, I need to do that for myself and my own medications. You have inspired me, I've been meaning to buy a watch that has one of those little beep beep alarms, I think I will do that today! Thanks Jan!

please read this first

Tags
antibiotic , anxiety , bladder , canned food , cat , cat food , cats , cute , diet , dry , dry food , eating , family , food , found , free , girl , health , hey , home , house , hurt , jumping , kitty , mistake , morning , night , obsession , pill , pills , problem , smart , smell , story , stray , struggle , water , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links