It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-25-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Peanuts is on a distinguished road
Default Prescription Diet - Feline Diabetes

G'day Mate,

My cat and I live in Australia - Brisbane Queensland.

I am trying to bring into Australia through proper legal ways the popular PURINA DM prescription diet for feline diabetes. PHd studies here at the local University have already been using PURINA DM since 2002 in their clinical trials. These Australian diabetic cats have real lives, with real pet owners, and are eating PURINA DM prescription diet food in Australia while the rest of our cats here in Australia (probably thousands of cats) are missing out on Purina DM prescription diet food - which is very sad.

I have started a movement here in Australia to bring about change. It is simply NOT FAIR that our cats and dogs are missing out on quality pet food with the lowest carb percentage on the market.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-25-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Purina DM is not a "Quality food". Have a look at the ingredients, not to mention the carb load. 18% (the dry, listed on the website) is NOT low carb. On a dry matter basis it comes out to 22%. The wet, on a DMB comes out to 18%. (based on the information given on the website and using a calculator)

https://www.purinaveterinarydiets.co...tic-management

Ingredients in the dry food:

Ingredients (Dry)

Poultry by-product meal, soy protein isolate, corn gluten meal, soy flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn starch, animal liver flavor, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid, fish oil, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine, choline chloride, taurine, powdered cellulose, salt, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. L-4574

Would you really want to feed that, full of soy, corn, by product meal more soy and more corn, and cellulose (sawdust) to any cat let alone a diabetic cat? There isn't even any meat in it!

The wet is slightly better, only because it contains moisture and at least some meat

Liver, poultry by-products, meat by-products, water sufficient for processing, chicken, salmon, oat fiber, salmon meal, artificial and natural flavors, guar gum, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, carrageenan, salt, Vitamin E supplement, taurine, thiamine mononitrate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, manganese sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide. J-4573

This one contains wheat gluten and of course corn, not to mention soy, which is something cats should never have

Ingredients (Savory Selects™ Canned)

Water sufficient for processing, chicken, liver, wheat gluten, meat by-products, corn starch-modified, soy flour, artificial and natural flavors, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, taurine, salt, choline chloride, added color, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, niacin, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide. C-4550

Feed your cat LOW carbohydrate high moisture foods, which usually means canned pate foods. You can get Fancy Feast Classics there can't you? Or something similar? Of course you can also feed a raw diet, especially home made you will know your cat is getting a high protein low carbohydrate high moisture diet.

However if your cat is on insulin you must be very careful about reducing the carb load in his food. You will have to reduce the insulin accordingly and that means daily testing. With low or zero carbs, your cat may not need insulin at all.

Here is Dr Pierson's info on diabetes and diet, follow the link, look to the menu on the right, scroll down to find "diabetes"

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

here is an excellent webiste on managing feline diabetes:

Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-25-2015 at 02:10 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-25-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

G'day Mate,
Thank you kindly for your advice. My cat is currently on the HILLS MD *canned* food along with fresh raw meat. But the problem is HILLS MD contains 13% more carbs than PURINA DM canned food.

It is my understanding that PURINA DM canned food offers a few flavors but the original prescription canned diet by PURINA DM ONLY contains 3% carbs and that it the lowest carb percentage on the market - according to Dr Lisa Pierson.

The University here in Australia ONLY imports PURINA DM (3% carbs) for their clinical studies on feline diabetes because THEY KNOW combined with glargine insulin it does two things (1) increases good glucose control and (2) increases the chance of remission.

The University here has published its results on PHd Feline Diabetes in your Journal of Feline Medicine & Surgery (2009) and (2015 - awaiting publication). The point Im trying to make it that PURINA DM canned food (3% carbs) is the "BEST of the WORST" canned food. And the "BEST of the WORST" canned food is not available in Australia yet - hence my push to get it here.

Unfortunately, HILLs MD canned food has taken over the market here. But PURINA MD canned food is the best of the worse at only 3% carbs. (Yes, my cat also eats fresh raw meat and loves it as part of her diet).
Unread 01-25-2015   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yes, Hills is about as bad as you can go. Royal Canin being just as bad, and Purina a step ahead maybe, but only a step. Canned food of course is vital, but as you say what's the point when it is so high in carbs?

The PurinaDM canned is about 7% carbs DMB, not 3%. Still better than 18% or 22%!

If you are already partially raw feeding why not stop that Hills high carb junk, and feed a balanced raw diet? It is important that the raw diet be balanced, so join a raw feeding group and learn how to do it, you'll be glad you did!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 01-25-2015   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

I just read your link "Making Cat Food" and it is not easy. The article needs to be simplified with short steps 1 to 5. Having read the long version, I would be worried about doing it right and whether my cat would actually eat it. At present I am stuck with HILLS m/d "canned" prescription diet. I do mix in fresh raw meat from the butcher. I have tried raw chicken necks and wings but cat only like it when I steam cook a chicken wing. She only eats a little chicken she is not a big fan over the many many years.

I know if I can bring into Australia the original PURINA DM canned food (less than 7%) combined with fresh raw meat and occasional freshly cooked steamed chicken then my cat's insulin needs will greatly be reduced. She is currently on 7 units of insulin per shot. That means a BIG dose here in Australia. Most cats are on 3 units per shot with some rare cases on 10 units per shot.

I wish life was purrrfect but its not. I am doing my best. I have a big challenge on my hands here to bring into Australia Purina DM canned food. I cant wait to throw HILLS M/D into the rubbish bin.
Unread 02-05-2015   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

HOORAY !!! I received a phoned call today 5.2.2015 from Purina Australia who have finally AGREED to bring into Australia their PURINA DM canned food under strict import licence and vet approved registration process. It will take 18mths. Food here in 2016.

Better news - I can import it - myself my under under personal use catergory under a strict customs broker and have the canned only food within a mth or two.

Hooray - the customer is always right.- and yes i will continue usng fresh raw meat with it.
Unread 02-05-2015   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I am happy for you, I know the feeling of wanting just the right food and not being able to find it. Hope your kitty does well on it. xx

please read this first
Unread 05-27-2015   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

Canned food of course is vital, but as you say what's the point when it is so high in carbs.The PurinaDM canned is about 7% carbs DMB, not 3%. Still better than 18% or 22%!

Tags
advice , age , canned food , cat , cat food , cats , diabetes , diabetic , diet , dogs , dry , eating , fiber , fish , food , home , insulin , legal , litter , litter box , missing , natural , nutrition , pet , pet food , raw , royal , sad , scream , stop , story , water

Sponsored Cat Links