It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-17-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

r11532 is on a distinguished road
Default How to Permanently Prevent Cat Box Litter Ammonia Odor Using Copper

I have two indoor cats, Sox and Hillary, who provide me with affection and entertainment. In return, I provide them with food, water and a litter box that I have set up in a closet. In the past, it was sometimes necessary to replace the litter daily in response to the ammonia odor. On the occasions that I failed to service the litter for several days, the ammonia smell could become so strong that it burned my eyes and affected my breathing. Today, that no longer happens. I have implemented a method of treating the litter that totally prevents the ammonia smell and also reduces odor from the cats feces no matter how long I delay changing the litter.

How To Do It,
(1) Acquire needed supplies from a pet store, hardware or building supply store and grocery store.
 A container of cat litter.
 A painter's dust mask.
 A container of root killer containing copper sulfate pentahydrarte 99% crystals.
 A plastic tub large enough to hold twice the volume of litter being treated.
 A set of food measuring spoons.

Whenever handling the copper sulfate pentahydrarte or mixing it in with the cat litter, be sure to wear the dust mask and do all measuring and mixing out of doors.

(2) Measure out enough copper sulfate pentahydrarte to produce a 400 parts per million (PPM) consentration of copper when added to the litter. Since the pentahydrarte is 25% copper by weight, 1600 PPM of it is needed to give 400 PPM. This calculates out to .0256 ounces of pentahydrarte for each pound of litter which is equal to one level tablespoon full for each 10 pounds of litter.

(3) Pour the container of litter into the plastic tub. Bake the pentahydrarte in an oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to drive off its water content then grind it into a fine powder. Mix the powder into one cup of litter then sprinkle the cup full over the tub full of litter. Thoroughly mix the two by hand then return the copper treated litter back into its original container.

(4) Clean all reusable items. Discard the old litter to start fresh with the copper treated version.

Good Luck,

Signed Ralph B

Appendix: I want to talk about ammonia and copper. First, litter ammonia smell is associated with but doesn't actually come from cat urine. Cat urine has almost no odor. The ammonia comes from bacteria metabolizing amino acids (proteins) in urine and producing ammonia as a byproduct. One straight forward solution to solving the ammonia problem is to prevent bacteria from producing it in the first place by killing them with copper bactericide.

Mixing 400 parts per million (PPM) of copper with the litter completely prevents the ammonia. A concentration 50% lower can also work well but the higher dosage provides extra assurance.

Is mixing copper with litter safe for cats? Answer, Yes, except possibly for copper sensitive species such as Siamese. Copper is a necessary nutrient for life required by all mammals. For an average house cat, about 1 milligram of dietary copper from dry cat food is required per day for good health. The risk factor comes from a cat eating its litter. Some sources report that cats can intake up to 15 milligrams of copper a day with no ill effects. At 400 PPM copper laced litter, a cat would have to eat 2.4 grams of litter to receive its minimum daily requirement. Fifteen times this amount is 1.3 ounces. Cats don't normally eat litter so the likelihood of a cat accidentally consuming enough copper to make it ill (by eating multiple ounces of litter a day) is essentially zero.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-17-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

So you'd rather poison your cats than keep the litter boxes clean? Good grief what next.

If you keep the boxes clean there is no "ammonia" odor. Weed killer is poisonous. Please stop poisoning your cats. It's against the law.

By the way it has occurred to me that you are spreading this "advice" to encourage people to poison their cats. Cat hater and sick besides. Not to mention bordering on criminal activity. Perhaps the moderator can locate your IP address and report you to the police.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/n...e47178385.html

Anyone reading this do not follow these instructions. Root killer is poisonous to cats and all other living things, including you and your family. Put into a litter box it will be not only ingested by the cats using the box, it will be tracked all over your house, exposing you and your family to the same poison. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 12-19-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-18-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Reply in Regard to Use of Copper in Cat Litter

Copper is a necessary nutrient required for life. The absence of copper will result in the illness or death of one's cat. The amount of copper proposed to be mixed in with the litter is in the range of the amount required for life. Why are you equating copper with weed killer? Wake up and smell the litter!
Unread 12-19-2015   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11532 View Post
Copper is a necessary nutrient required for life. The absence of copper will result in the illness or death of one's cat. The amount of copper proposed to be mixed in with the litter is in the range of the amount required for life. Why are you equating copper with weed killer? Wake up and smell the litter!
Why? Because in your post you state you are using it. See below.

Copper is essential, yes, but the source should be from meat, not from poison in the litter box.

It is clear that you are a troll trying to convince people to poison their cats. Other places you have posted this your post has been removed. Sadly, the moderation here is non existent and the administration only cares about ad revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11532 View Post
How To Do It,
(1) Acquire needed supplies from a pet store, hardware or building supply store and grocery store.
 A container of cat litter.
 A painter's dust mask.
A container of root killer containing copper sulfate pentahydrarte 99% crystals.
 A plastic tub large enough to hold twice the volume of litter being treated.
 A set of food measuring spoons.
Anyone reading this do not follow these instructions. Root killer is poisonous to cats and all other living things, including you and your family. Put into a litter box it will be not only ingested by the cats using the box, it will be tracked all over your house, exposing you and your family to the same poison. DO NOT USE THIS METHOD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-24-2015   #5 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

Tips to get Best Cat Litter Products :

1.If you have no extra time to clean it daily, then you should buy self cleaner or automatic litter box. It is very helpful to clean the box automatically when your cat left the box.

2. You can choose also covered litter box if your house is small and there are no extra space to place it.

3.Otherwise, if you have more space and time then get open boxes which have 3 or 4 inches hight. These are available into several designs but they are expensive.

4. Also take care about size of box. It should be according to age of your kitty.

5.If you have many cats, then place different litter boxes because some cats does not allow to share their boxes.

6. With the different types of boxes available, you should choose the best that will be comfortable for Cat Behavior. After found the right litter box for your kitten, care about its cleaning. Also train your pet to use it.
Unread 12-27-2015   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

HemingwayBTtheIcky is on a distinguished road
Default never understood how this happens

That's all really involved, but happy it works for you. My hooman and I just saw a new litter that says "occasional cleaning". Besides going on holiday and having to leave the cats alone for a few days if one has no sitter, I've wondered why people are not able to clean the box every day? My hooman cleans the box daily and there is no smell. I appreciate a clean box. :3 -BT
Unread 01-04-2016   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Since posting my recommendation for adding copper to one's cat litter, I've done some searching on the Internet and discovered several sites that discuss/recommend it as well.

There are two patent postings "patent US4494481" and "patent WO199903335A2" related to adding copper to cat litter. Additionally there are three websites that also discuss it: "halfbakery.com/idea/Copper_20coated_20kitty_20litter", "naldc.nal.usda.gov/naldc/download.xhtml?id=49552&content=PDF" and "gopetplan.com/blogpost/a-new-alternative-to-clay-cat-litter".

Also, the suggestion that copper sulfate is a poison to be avoided is "nutty." Copper sulfate is the form of copper that is added to cat pet food to provide a cat's minimum daily requirement for copper. Also, have you checked your multivitamin pill lately. It also contains copper sulfate. Check this web site: "supernutritionusa.com/images/pdfs/CopperSulfate.pdf"

The adding of copper to cat litter is safe even beneficial for cats if done in accord to the directions I've given. This will be my last comment on this topic. It's pointless to try to convince those who's thought processes are limited by ignorance.

Last edited by r11532; 01-04-2016 at 01:36 AM. Reason: text given twice
Unread 01-04-2016   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

please read this first

Tags
box , breathing , cat , cat food , cats , clean , dry , eyes , food , health , house , indoor , litter , litter box , litter boxes , mat , pet , problem , siamese , smell , stop , urine , water , weight

Sponsored Cat Links