It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-14-2009   #41 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I was quite shocked to see how many people in the early part of this thread said that human tuna is okay to feed cats.

It is NOT okay, as most current members have stated. As an occasional treat, or to get medication down them, yes. But not every day, and certainly not as a sole diet!

Human tuna does not contain any of the nutrients (except protein) that a cat needs to thrive. Those people who said they feed their cats on mostly human tuna and the cats are healthy..well they won't be healthy for long, trouble will show up eventually in the form of malnutrition, crystals in the urine, kidney disease, and blindness and lesions on the eyes (from lack of taurine)

To answer the person who asked "if tuna is bad for cats, why is cat food made from tuna" the answer is because most cats love it, so it sells.

If your cat loves tuna, feed him or her cat food tuna no more than twice a week. Human tuna only for an occasional treat.

If your cat has FLUTD,(Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease) s/he should not have any fish flavors at all, unless the food is a prescription formula recommended by your vet

Off my soap box now <ggg>

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-14-2009   #42 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Thank you Acerit. We all needed to be educated in this field, I feel.
Thank Goodness I've only given it to my kitty like twice a month or even less.
Unread 07-19-2009   #43 (permalink)
Cool Cat

pink29 is on a distinguished road

i never knew tuna was not good for cats! i should really talk to my vet more
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-21-2009   #44 (permalink)
blueynevey

Default tuna

I never feed my cats anything but cat food- only because personal experience has proven it works best for my kids!.. Many will argue dry is better tha canned or visa/versa but I give mine cats dry. Sometimes I add a spoon ful of canned but only because it smells stronger- and cats enjoy the smells of food not the taste (as us humans do) and when Evelyn was pregnant she rarely seemed interested in eating- I worried about her health and the babies too- so i coaxed her with some fancy feast atop her cat chow- it did the trick!
I also never- NEVER!!!!!!! Tell other folks what to do with their animals or the children! We all have our own ways and no one way is best for all- so i keep my advice to a minimum! But I do like to share my success stories and pass help on to others- but only if they ask!!
And I know all you people who where giving your babies Tuna for people were doing so out of love and not to poison them!! Many just didn't realize it was canned differently and not good for felines???
We all just love our kitty kats!! BUT
Wow! Wouldn't it be great if we could be like them and be satisfied just smelling the chocolate cake rather than eating it!

Unread 09-15-2016   #45 (permalink)
Newborn

tuneofapurr is on a distinguished road

Try some fresh, organic tuna! That way you can skip all the funk and preservatives in the cheaper canned tunas. Plus... you can use it as an excuse to enjoy some fresh tuna for yourself, too!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 09-25-2017   #46 (permalink)
Kitten

crazyanimal is on a distinguished road

I think you should stop it

Tags
baby , bowel , box , canned food , cat , cat diet , cat food , catnip , cats , crazy , cut , diarrhea , diet , dry , dry food , eating , eyes , feedback , fish , food , found , fun , fur , great , health , healthy , heat , hey , hurt , joy , kitten , kitty , love , mat , nutrition , overweight , poison , pregnant , problem , problems , question , rare , raw , smart , smell , stop , stories , test , vet , water , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links