It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-21-2006   #1 (permalink)
vp311

Default Feeding Cats Tuna

I have been feeding my cats regular tuna packed in water for about a year. They each get half a can a day. I also give them premium dry food which feed freely for them to nibble on. I recently found out that cats that are fed tuna can have health problems. My cats are thriving. The reason I started feeding tuna is because one of my cats had extremely smelly bowel movements and frequent diarrhea. Ever since I have been feeding in this way they have not had the smelly fecal problems and no diarrhea. Should I stop feeding them tuna?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-22-2006   #2 (permalink)
aja3171

That is true that feeding them tuna all the time could cause some health problems because tunas are usually packed in vegetable oil which is high in polyunsaturated fatty acids that oxidate Vitamin E. Although it is high in protein, certain amino acids that are essential to maintain health are not sufficient in these packed tunas. So maybe you can give your cats vitamin supplements to compensate with what they are lacking or just change their diet, asking your vet would be good.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-23-2006   #3 (permalink)
vp311

I hadn't thought of vitamin suppliments. I'll check w/ my vet to see what they think is best. Thanks for the feedback!

Unread 12-08-2006   #4 (permalink)
wendywenpet

I have just read your question. I think tuna that is in canned in water is good. Better than packaged in oil. I always buy the tuna in spring water. Anyways ...

My cat does not eat any of that... or any human food for that matter. But I would like to say that a neighbour of mine feeds her big guy tuna every day!! I was concerned about it and I suggested to her to ask her vet if it was okay! Her vet said sure. He is about 4 yrs. old. And she also feeds him raw liver once a week!! I like my liver cooked by the way...

She also asked the vet about this and no problem. I have to tell you I babysit this cat and he is so big and healthy and full of fun. His fur is just magnificant... shiny and full (that is probably from the tuna).

I would say just watch and assess ... if you see problems then cut back.

Unread 12-20-2006   #5 (permalink)
softpaws

Since you're using tuna packed in water I don't think there would be any problem, except maybe the high salt content. You can always get the non salted or low sodium tuna in water. Does it actually work out cheaper for you to feed your cats regular tuna instead of cat food? Like a can of cat food here I can get for around 79 cents but tuna is expensive.

Unread 12-20-2006   #6 (permalink)
wendywenpet

I have just started buying Egor whitefish cat food!!! I had fed her that very early when I got her and she didn't take to it.... now she does!!!

Like my cat Egor ... and rats Kahlua, Champagne and Bubbles there is no cost that I wouldn't pay for their happiness and health!! I do know some people are not in that postion. But we all do our best.

Unread 01-04-2007   #7 (permalink)
crookshanks

I think there isn't much problem with feeding your cats tuna on a daily basis. In fact it will give their healthier glowing skin, good fur and also improve their eyes.
Tuna packed in water is even better than tuna packed in oil. However, make sure you tell your vet about this.

Unread 01-04-2007   #8 (permalink)
outdoorcat

Default Canned crab meat

Last week in the grocery store I found a can of crab meat marked down to a dollar on the dented cans shelf. It was meant for people but I didn't really want it, so I bought it for a treat for my cats. It was all finely shredded already so I just dumped it in a bowl and gave it to them. Spoiled brats...oh I mean cats.

Unread 01-08-2007   #9 (permalink)
catatonic

I cant eat chicken without being attacked by our Suki. She adores it. If it's cooked plainly like steamed or boiled she sits patiently waiting on her share. If she doesn't get it she goes crazy. She likes tuna too but can live without it. She also loves those tubes of cream cheese that are tuna or salmon flavoured.

Unread 01-11-2007   #10 (permalink)
Rocky

I hadnt even thought of tuna in springwater. Ive tried fresh tuna a few times and he loves it but its a bit expensive. He ate some fresh salmon the other day for the first time and loved that too!

Tags
baby , bowel , box , canned food , cat , cat diet , cat food , catnip , cats , crazy , cut , diarrhea , diet , dry , dry food , eating , eyes , feedback , fish , food , found , fun , fur , great , health , healthy , heat , hey , hurt , joy , kitten , kitty , love , mat , nutrition , overweight , poison , pregnant , problem , problems , question , rare , raw , smart , smell , stop , stories , test , vet , water , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links