It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-03-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

FuzzySiberians is on a distinguished road
Question Raw food recipies?

I just wanted to check and see if anybody have some recommended raw food recipes. Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

Found this recipe while searching on google.

Quote:
Turkey recipe:

* 1 lb raw ground turkey muscle meat (the darker the meat the higher its taurine content) - has 59mg Ca and 708mg Phos
* 1 piece of raw turkey liver - contains 279mg of Phos and only 5mg of Ca
* 1 raw heart - 2mg Ca and 60mg Phos
* 100g chicken/turkey gizzards - contains 6mg Ca and 139mg Phos
* 2 tbsp steamed pureed veggies* - preferably high-moisture low-GI index squash, zucchini (all lightly steamed), and home-grown oat/barley/rye/wheat grass from seeds. Depending on the water content of the veggies, this can be as low as 1 cup or as high as 2 cups in volume. For cats with CRF, pumpkin can be beneficial b/c it functions as a nitrogen-trapper. IBD cats too can be helped by the moderately fermentable fiber in cooked/canned pumpkin. For some reason, my cats love a steamed broccoli and cauliflower mix; do not use in raw form unless you have a cat with an overactive thyroid gland.
* 1472 mg calcium carbonate or 3/4 teaspoon of eggshell powder* or a bit less than 1.5 tsp of bone meal powder**
* 1 raw egg yolk and lightly cooked white of same egg
* 1/2 tablespoon unflavored Gelatin as a proxy for cartilage
* 1/2 teaspoon Dulse (has lower iodine levels than Kelp) to provide trace minerals and support thyroid function
* 1 teaspoon Salmon body oil (available in liquid or in capsules at health food stores)
* 2,000mg taurine
* 2-3 oz home-made meat broth or spring water to help with consistency
My question is where do you find some of this stuff? i.e. taurine, dulse? Also, isn't taurine an amino acid?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-03-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Yes taurine is an amino acid, and it is crucial to a cat's eye health.

Their bodies do not manufacture taurine so it must be gotten daily in their diet, either in a commercial food, or by supplement if you are using homemade meals.

I guess health food stores would be where you would find the supplements.

PS welcome to the forum!
Unread 08-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

Just sharing this list of Basic Cat Food Recipe:

* 1300 g raw muscle meat (beef, chicken, lamb, quail, duck, etc., but not fish or pork!)
* 400 g heart
* 200 g liver (I alternate with kidneys)
* 100 g gizzards (excellent for a dental workout, which is important for teeth!)
* 600 g finely pulped or grated veggies (I mostly use carrots or plain pumpkin)
* spring water to desired consistency
* 4 eggs, lightly cooked
* 4 tbsp bonemeal
* approx. 60 drops of Liquid Trace Minerals
* 1000 mg vitamin C (calcium ascorbate, sodium ascorbate, or Ester C: the amount is variable according to your cat's needs)
* 2 tsp salmon body oil
* 100-200 IU vitamin E added directly to a meal, once a week
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

|

|
Unread 08-04-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks acerlt. We went to our safeway and ask the pharmacist about taurine yesterday. He also said we could find some at a store like GNC. I will have to google today.
catlover83, thanks for your recipe. My problem is there is no butcher around where I live. So, I will need to buy the meat from a safeway or kingsoopers. The problem is they don't sell stuff like liver. Good old times, I used to eat all that stuff and it really tastes great. I couldn't even find salmon oil.

This is what I ended up doing last night. Got skinless and boneless chicken breasts. Removed the fat and cut it into itsy bitsy pieces. Got 2 egg yolks and mixed with crushed B12 and Vitamin-E. Added a bit water and mixed this with the chicken breast pieces. I hope I didn't do anything wrong. The B12 and Vitamin-E are the same vitamins I am taking on a daily basis.

Both Sasha and Katja loved it. Sasha literally snorted his in seconds then started to steal from Sasha's plate.

Please let me know what you think and/or if you know any good online stores to buy these ingredients. Thanks!

Unread 02-24-2014   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

aekdb5 is on a distinguished road

I am going to have to try that

that seems like a good one as well...thank you
Unread 06-02-2014   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Cat Addictions is on a distinguished road

I am going to try this tonight. Thanks a lot!
. Where you'll find reviews and detailed comparisons of the top cat scratchers and other cat related products.
Unread 02-07-2017   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

cutiecats is on a distinguished road

Have been thinking about transitioning my cats to a raw food diet.

Will def try these...!
Unread 02-07-2017   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Great recipes here:

Raw Feeding - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

Or you can use a superior quality pre-mix and plain meat:

Food Fur Life - EZ Balanced & Complete Raw or Cooked Pet Food!

Tags
cat , cat food , cat's , cats , commercial , cut , diet , egg , fiber , fish , food , found , great , health , hey , home , love , night , pet , problem , question , raw , turkey , water

Sponsored Cat Links