It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2009   #11 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallan View Post
I love your cats names. Bastet is the Egyptian cat god isn't she? But why Nefrit? Is it after the gemstone?
They are both Egyptian names But technically, they are from a series of mystery novels called the Amelia Peabody series. The books take place partly in Victorian England and partly in Egypt (the characters are English Egyptologists). They have a cat named Bastet, and they discover a girl named Nefrit (though she, too, is English).

Nefrit supposedly means "beautiful," and you can find it as a root in the name "Nefertiti."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, aka "The Nefrinator"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-13-2009   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Moonsong View Post
Hiya I have a "fat cat" too who loves to eat, so I understand your problem.

My chubby lady is named Nefrit. I believe she was starved as a kitten, as she has "knock knees," which is a sign of poor nutrition when still growing.

Nefrit eats like a dog. I mean, she does not take a bite, look around, take another bite, the way a cat should. She eats and eats and eats, sometimes choking on the air in her lungs! Consequently, she's overweight.

If I try to feed her just a little bit throughout the day, she's very naughty -- just like your cats! She will knock things over, open doors, etc. Feeding her a little bit throughout the day does not work.

I have figured out that she has food anxiety. She is scared her food will disappear, so she tries to eat as much of it as she can, as soon as possible. My solution is to give her, well, really high quality food. This means she will get full FASTER. I make sure that I buy cat kibble (biscuits?) that have some kind of meat as their number one ingredient (as opposed to corn, etc.). I leave the cat bowls full all day ... they are small bowls. I now have to only refill their bowls (I have two cats) once every two days.

Nefrit still eats like a pig, BUT she eats a lot less, because she gets full faster. My vet said she is overweight, but nothing to be concerned about. He understands that sometimes there isn't much we can do!

The fish is probably not hurting them (except you don't wanna feed too much fish for other health reasons) since it's "real" meat. UNLESS you're giving them a LOT of fresh fish every day. But check the kibble you're using ... is it cheap?

And yep, have to agree with the others that you've spoiled them with the fish! Mine were like that with wet food for awhile ... I stopped feeding wet food b/c they complained constantly throughout the day.
Thank you for this useful and interesting post! How wonderful that you understand that Nefrit has a food anxiety.

I'll have to look around and read your other posts to find out more about Baby and Nefrit! <edit>Welcome! (oh, I see you've joined in May. Oh well can't have too many welcomes, right?

Last edited by acerlt; 09-13-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: to add
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-25-2017   #13 (permalink)
Kitten

crazyanimal is on a distinguished road

you must reduce the amount of their intake gradually.

Tags
adult , anxiety , art , baby , beautiful , belly , bite , books , care , cat , cat food , cats , crazy , diet , dog , eating , fast , fight , fish , food , found , game , girl , great , health , healthy , hey , home , indoor , interesting , kitten , kittens , laser , litter , love , meowing , nutrition , obesity , overeating , overweight , pictures , play , problem , scared , small , smart , stop , type , vet , weight , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links