It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-12-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Eliz K is on a distinguished road
Default Eating too much

Think my 2 cats are over weight.. when I outstation, my mom is the one who take care of them. She feed them 3-4 times a day!

When I back, I will only feed them twice a day, with fresh fish meat mixed with cat biscuit. I found that if I feed them less, they will get "crazy" and start to destroy thinks like newspaper, plant.. hahaha.., and won't stop meowing for food..

If I don't feed them, sometimes they will just sit besides me, showing me that "innocent" face, hahahaha...

Best regards,
Eliz K
Angkuku
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 424.JPG (56.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 428.JPG (52.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 441.JPG (33.4 KB, 7 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-12-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

The angle you took your cats' pictures make them look more chubby... however, yes, I think they are a bit overweight.
As you're probably already aware, obesity can lead to illnesses. Indoor cats don't require too much food, coz they don't have enough running, chasing, climbing or other energy consuming activities. To control their diet is good, just make them get used to it, don't rush. You can :
1. Reduce the amount of their intake gradually.
2. Help them exercise to burn the excess calorie and fat. Try the laser pointer and feather wands, they will love it.

Good luck !!

BTW, they look pretty too !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-12-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

They look sleek and healthy. A little chubby but as Irene said, more exercise can help with that.

You should not feed them fish every day, they should be eating cat food only.

Feed smaller quantities, more frequently. Measure out how much they should have, at the beginning of the day and feed from that, make four meals out of it, throughout the day.

One way to get them to run more is to use some of their kibble to play Chase the Kibble Game. Toss the kibble across the floor and watch them chase it down!

Unread 08-12-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post

One way to get them to run more is to use some of their kibble to play Chase the Kibble Game. Toss the kibble across the floor and watch them chase it down!

That's a great idea !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-14-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Eliz K is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the feedback.. My cats like to eat cat biscuits mixed with steam fist meat. Without the fish, they refuse to eat.. If I left them starve for a day, then only they start to eat a little bit. And they start to get mad if they are hungry, like climbing up the cupboard and spoil my flover pot, bite the newspaper.. etc. Any suggestion how to handle this?

Best regards,
Eliz K
http:/www.angkuku.com
Unread 08-15-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hehe !! I know cats are smart creatures, but you can outsmart them (hopefully) by gradually reducing the amount of fish and increasing the kibble, until they get used to it. That's the way I used when trying to reduce their wet food intake.. and it amazingly worked !

If you wish to give them 'some' fish fillet, try NOT giving them tuna, I'd rather give them salmon.

Unread 08-20-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Tim W is on a distinguished road

From the look of the picture they don't really appear to overweight to me. Do make sure they don't over eat because as mentioned indoor cats don't require as much engery from food as outdoor cats. Which also means you could feed them food designed fo indoor cats.

Unread 08-29-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

VictorianBulldogs is on a distinguished road

I would suggest you to feed them as per old schedule and start exercising them or may be walk ... something which kept them in motion. But you should do this after 2 Hrs of feeding.

Or you can also do one thing give them protein based and less fat food or after two feed give them what they do not like to eat.

You will have to deal it sharply.

|
Unread 09-12-2009   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

Hiya I have a "fat cat" too who loves to eat, so I understand your problem.

My chubby lady is named Nefrit. I believe she was starved as a kitten, as she has "knock knees," which is a sign of poor nutrition when still growing.

Nefrit eats like a dog. I mean, she does not take a bite, look around, take another bite, the way a cat should. She eats and eats and eats, sometimes choking on the air in her lungs! Consequently, she's overweight.

If I try to feed her just a little bit throughout the day, she's very naughty -- just like your cats! She will knock things over, open doors, etc. Feeding her a little bit throughout the day does not work.

I have figured out that she has food anxiety. She is scared her food will disappear, so she tries to eat as much of it as she can, as soon as possible. My solution is to give her, well, really high quality food. This means she will get full FASTER. I make sure that I buy cat kibble (biscuits?) that have some kind of meat as their number one ingredient (as opposed to corn, etc.). I leave the cat bowls full all day ... they are small bowls. I now have to only refill their bowls (I have two cats) once every two days.

Nefrit still eats like a pig, BUT she eats a lot less, because she gets full faster. My vet said she is overweight, but nothing to be concerned about. He understands that sometimes there isn't much we can do!

The fish is probably not hurting them (except you don't wanna feed too much fish for other health reasons) since it's "real" meat. UNLESS you're giving them a LOT of fresh fish every day. But check the kibble you're using ... is it cheap?

And yep, have to agree with the others that you've spoiled them with the fish! Mine were like that with wet food for awhile ... I stopped feeding wet food b/c they complained constantly throughout the day.
and now
, aka "The Nefrinator"
Unread 09-13-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Moonsong View Post
Hiya I have a "fat cat" too who loves to eat, so I understand your problem.

My chubby lady is named Nefrit. I believe she was starved as a kitten, as she has "knock knees," which is a sign of poor nutrition when still growing.

Nefrit eats like a dog. I mean, she does not take a bite, look around, take another bite, the way a cat should. She eats and eats and eats, sometimes choking on the air in her lungs! Consequently, she's overweight.

I have figured out that she has food anxiety. She is scared her food will disappear, so she tries to eat as much of it as she can, as soon as possible.
Poor Nefrit! My cat Newt suffered from 'food anxiety' when we first got her. There were three adult cats and three kittens in the home she came from and she was the smallest of the litter (she had two bigger, boisterous brothers) and I think she had a fight on her hands (or paws) where food was concerned. They were mainly fed on dried food so when she came to us she still thought she had to eat as much as she could as fast as she could, especially the meat. She would eat all her food then finish off what our other cat had left (Ripley was used to there being plenty of food so would only eat what she wanted), sometimes I used to worry that she would burst her little belly would get so big.
I had to mix dried food in with her meat to slow her down & fill her up. It took her quite a while to realise that she could eat only what she wanted and there would still be food available if she was hungry again later. Luckily she's always been very active so has never been overweight, she's only a tiny cat too.
I love your cats names. Bastet is the Egyptian cat god isn't she? But why Nefrit? Is it after the gemstone?

Tags
adult , anxiety , art , baby , beautiful , belly , bite , books , care , cat , cat food , cats , crazy , diet , dog , eating , fast , fight , fish , food , found , game , girl , great , health , healthy , hey , home , indoor , interesting , kitten , kittens , laser , litter , love , meowing , nutrition , obesity , overeating , overweight , pictures , play , problem , scared , small , smart , stop , type , vet , weight , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links