It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Bmisner is on a distinguished road
Default kitty birthday cake

So my cat will be turning 1 at the end of the month. I obviously want to make her something special! It seems of all the table scraps we let her nibble at mashed potatoes are a favorite. I would like to make her some sort of cat friendly mashed potato cake. I'm sure there are additives in regular mashed potatoes that cats shouldn't be consuming, and I wouldn't want her to have a bad belly on her birthday! Any advice?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-08-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I can tell you love your little girl very much and only want what's best for her but cats can't eat like humans and remain healthy.

Please don't give your cat mashed potatoes, at any time. Cats are obligate carnivores and should not be eating high carbohydrate foods like that. Even in snacking.

Feed your cat a healthy canned diet high in identified meat, avoiding grains and too many fruits and vegetables, including starches like potato and tapioca.

If you want to give her treats, give her meat treats.

Give her little slivers of raw meat, just slice little bits off any meat you are cooking for yourself (NOT ground beef) or purchase something such as PureBites freeze dried chicken breast (PureBites also comes in other proteins)

PureBites® Pet Treats | Purebites.com

I wonder what other table scraps you are feeding your cat. If you feed more than 10% or 15% of her daily diet on unbalanced foods her diet is not going to be nutritionally complete. And often food from the human table contains too many things that aren't good for cats, such as salt, sugar, and other flavorings. Keep in mind that both onion and garlic are toxic to cats.

This type of feeding can also lead to obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. I know you want your kitten to grow healthy and strong and live a long happy life. Feeding an appropriate diet is the start of the best way to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 08-08-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-09-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Bmisner is on a distinguished road

Thank you! I didn't know about garlic and onions. So that's something I'll have to watch for! We don't really feed her too much outside of her diet. We feed her science diet and blue wilderness treats! Just occasionally I give her a little piece of lunch meat/chicken and mashed potatoes. She's pretty picky for the most part. I read something about giving them egg as a great do you know anything about that? And any good alternative idea for her birthday? Like anyplace that sells cat birthday cakes (tuna / salmon flavored?)
Unread 08-09-2014   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Science diet dry food? That is not a good food. I'm not judging. You obviously didn't know. Read the ingredients. Awful stuff, very poor quality.

If you are feeding the canned, that is somewhat better.

Cats need moisture in their food, they cannot drink enough to counteract the dehydrating and other problems that a dry diet cause and a dry diet full of corn, wheat and cellulose leads to many health problems as the years go on.

Lunch meat is not good for cats either. Too high in salt and preservatives.

Get the treats I linked to in my first post to you, she will love you for it and they are pure meat. Not balanced, so not meant for meals, just for treats, but way better for her than lunch meat or potatoes. Cats should not eat potatoes.

Birthday cake is a human thing. Feed her healthy for cats type foods. Some low sodium sardines packed in water would be an okay once in a while treat, including a special birthday treat. You can celebrate her birthday by giving her presents wrapped in thin white tissue paper she can open herself, or even better wrapped in crackly brown packing paper. No tape, just kind of wrap the paper around the toy.

A raw egg yolk once a week would also be good for her. Not more than once a week though, and not the white, just the yolk.

I do urge you to get her off that Science Diet if you are feeding the dry food. It's just not at all good for her. Get her on a canned diet, fed three meals a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 05-20-2016   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

mic.alan is on a distinguished road

It is really cool idea to make a birthday cake for your kitten
Unread 09-15-2016   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

tuneofapurr is on a distinguished road

There are healthy recipes for kitty birthday cakes out there. You could even dump a can of cat food onto a plate, give it some kitty treat "sprinkles" and celebrate with a cute kitty birthday hat and tealight candles to the side. Just make sure kitty isn't close to the flame

Tags
advice , belly , birthday , brown , car , cat , cats , diabetes , diet , dry , dry food , eating , egg , food , friendly , great , health , healthy , hey , kitty , love , obesity , pet , problems , raw , type , water

Sponsored Cat Links