It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2006   #1 (permalink)
LomoLuvsCats

Question Concerned about girlfriend's Persian...

Hi there, first time poster with a problem.

My girlfriend has had this 'older' Persian cat for a while now, and for the past 6 months or so, she's developed a problem. I didn't really think much about it until recently (and I'll get into that in a moment), but for some time the cat has had this swelling about her abdomen, and it just kept getting larger. I didn't say anything about it because I know she loves her cat more than life itself, and in her eyes, the cat is 'perfect.'

I continued to notice, however, that the 'bulge' would occasionally shrink, and I just took it for granted that the cat was overcoming whatever problem it had - but eventually, time and time again, the bulge would reappear, often times growing larger than I'd seen it the time before. It was strange, because it didn't seem like a cancerous growth, because when you pet her in that area (which was hard to do, the cat was friendly until you explored her 'growth'), it almost felt as if you were rubbing your hand against a bag of jello.

It took a bit of courage, but I recently asked her about it, and she informed me that it was some sort of bubble of liquid that accumulated underneath her skin due to some kidney infection - she called it "dropsies" or something like that. She assured me that she was treating the cat for it, and that it would go away "any time now..."

I assumed that she'd taken her cat to the vet and had been prescribed some pills for the infection, but I found out recently that her treatment for the condition was to actually make an incision in the cat's skin to drain this fluid - and she did it weekly. I probably never would've known if I hadn't noticed the obvious skin infection on that poor cat just last week.

Now, I've done some searching on the web for info on this, and haven't come across anything all that specific to her cat's condition, and I thought I'd post a thread here to see if anyone has heard of anything similar, or had any insight into where to proceed from here. The cat is 17 years old, and I fear that it might be time to put the poor thing down, but I can't bring myself to suggest that to her.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Sven

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
cat , cat's , eyes , found , friendly , growth , infection , persian , pet , pills , problem , vet

Sponsored Cat Links