It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-12-2011   #11 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

How did Buddha's check-up go? Did the vet find out what the problem is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-12-2011   #12 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cheerful
Mikebird59 is on a distinguished road

well, there was no sign of irritation, but now I have to shove a big horse pill down his throat of fish oil as he does not like the liquid, he fights me, but all is well, he is a bit overweight and that what caused the pancreatitis last July, so I am cutting back on his food. It's sad as he was only getting 1/2 cup a day, but because of his metabolism, I am having to cut back even more. Time will tell, he is happy and content, Dr said may have been due to trauma (whatever that means) but the fish oil cap should help his fur problem and dermatitis. If this baby dies I don't know what I will do. He is only 4 and the sweetest thing. I don't thinbk I could handle it. Basically the vet said if the pancreatitis comes back, that's all folks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-18-2011   #13 (permalink)
Newborn

Default missing fur

well, took Buddha in and he still has that small 1/8"x 1" strip missing, no irritation and it may grow back, I know it takes time, MEANWHILE he is a bit obese and have even had to cut his food back MORE (1/4c dry food a day) he does not scream for food so it's all good and he at 4 is more sedentary now. I do give him fish oil caps (my only choice; he will not budge with the liquid, he hates it) so we have a fun fight every morning, but it has COMPLETELY eliminated his dander, and he is good at taking his pill, he is very sweet and trusts me unconditionally as he knows I will never hurt him, hit him, any of that. The most he gets is a finger shaken in his face with a "no-no" spoken softly, and rarely, he is a very good boy...lol. Now if the fur grows back and he loses 2 lbs all will be good. He obviously has allergies and I live in a dusty town (Scottsdale). He is on Royal Canin HE dry and likes it and my vet said to stay the course. Yes I worry, poor baby suffered as a kitten obviously, and wandered the streets, he is only indoor now. He was a bone when I got him at a year (3 years ago) but he is happy and relatively healthy, great teeth and coat, etc and gets all my love, and returns it doubly, so that is what counts. Any ideas about the hair loss would be appreciated, this is a first in the 3 years I have had him and it is right between his shoulder blades and symmetrical rectangular so I know it isn't scratching or licking (he couldn't get to that spot anyhow). Dr thought it may be traumaq but I don't know how that could be unless he bumped into something without me being aware. Thank you!
Unread 02-18-2011   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

Canned food would be much better for your cat. Better for his coat, better for his skin, better for his weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 02-18-2011   #15 (permalink)
Newborn

I will ask my vet about it; he has been raised on dry and when he was ill he really didn't care for the canned, what about his teeth? Curiously, how ould it be better for his weight? Less carbs? That Royal Canin food is very good and the vet just seems to think he has a slow metabolism....
Unread 02-18-2011   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Canned food has less carbs and higher protein, plus more of the moisture a cat needs.

While I believe there is a place for Prescription diets, it's not clear to why your cat is on a special diet for gastrointestinal problems, when it is a skin/fur problem he is having.

Canned food is not any worse for teeth than dry, and dry is thought to be worse because when the dry kibble breaks in the mouth the tiny pieces stick to the teeth and get under the gum line, where they turn into tartar and bacteria which leads to gingivitis and periodontal disease.

Home dental care is what keeps a cat's teeth healthy. Genetics also plays a large role in what kind of dental health a cat will have.

As for weight control, a canned diet with a daily exercise routine is what an over weight kitty needs.

please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-18-2011   #17 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks, I will speak to my vet about switching him over. As far as the teeth go, he will NOT let me brush his so I give him a few (like 4) tartar control treats daily and he loves them. He has been on the rx diet since he nearly died due to pancreatitis last July and my vet seems to think it is best, that is why he is on it, I think it is syupposed to make him "void" more tho he has never had that problem. I will talk to vet about switching him to canned. Thank you so much for your advice and kind words. I want him to have a full, long life and I worry a great deal given his history.
Unread 02-18-2011   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Oh Mike, I didn't know he had pancreatitis, now I understand the prescription diet. But hey, the RC HE food also has a canned version. You could try adding some canned at least.

I understand the weight struggle. I do have one girl, my Jennie who has to eat much less than the other cats, and even so she is still chubby. I can't cut her back any more than she is getting, she already acts like she is starving to death all the time.

She's also difficult to motivate into much activity, but I keep at her, and though she is chubbier than I like, she is, thankfully not obese.

By way, what fish oil are you giving him? Is it a human variety? Make sure the capsule it comes in is the kind that is okay to be ingested. I know the Welactin, the kind made specifically for cats, the capsule is not meant to be taken internally, the fish oil has to be squirted out.

By the way, you are smart to talk things over with your vet rather than just taking the advice of some random person on the internet (in this case, me ). I do know what I am talking about, but still, people should always consult with the attending vet first.

please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-18-2011   #19 (permalink)
Newborn

He is taking the HE as he had intestinal inflammation with the pancreatitis. And that is what the dr wants him on. He is only on about now 1/4 cup per day down from 1/2 cup. The fish oil caps I give him are for cats; I got them at the vet, but they are big, but he just gulps them down (I wet with my saliva and push them longitudinally to the back of his throat, hold him mouth shut and massage his throat, a 3 sec procedure, he does not fight it) but I wish there were another way. I could try piercing the cap and adding it to his food, but have tried the liquid fish oil route on his food and he disliked it and would not eat it, so....

His fish oil caps are "Aller G-3" caps for cats. After his illness, the Dr did give me some wet food, but he would not touch it; he just prefers dry and he is never screaming for food so I guess he is getting enough. He is a BIG cat tho, but not obese, last weigh in was 18.8 lbs and he should be at about 16-17. He is just BIG, as boys usually are. Another question: is the stuff you spray on furniture to keep them from scratching it harmful at all? I have barcalounger which has a slipcover and it is knit and he loves to scratch it, I have bought another cover, but want to break him of the habit before installing it, he only scratches that and his post, he leaves everything else alone. Thanks!
Unread 02-18-2011   #20 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebird59 View Post
He is taking the HE as he had intestinal inflammation with the pancreatitis. And that is what the dr wants him on. He is only on about now 1/4 cup per day down from 1/2 cup. The fish oil caps I give him are for cats; I got them at the vet, but they are big, but he just gulps them down (I wet with my saliva and push them longitudinally to the back of his throat, hold him mouth shut and massage his throat, a 3 sec procedure, he does not fight it) but I wish there were another way. I could try piercing the cap and adding it to his food, but have tried the liquid fish oil route on his food and he disliked it and would not eat it, so....
Please humor me and read the label on the bottle of the fish oil. In some brands the capsule is not meant to be ingested.

Mazy gets the Welactin brand and the capsule is not mean to be taken internally, it says so right on the bottle. "Do not feed gelatin capsule to your cat"

Fortunately she likes it. None of the other cats get the fish oil, because they do not like it and wont eat their food if I put it on.

please read this first

Tags
age , allergic , another cat , anxiety , behaviour , boy , cat , cat food , cats , collar , cut , diet , dry food , eye , fights , food , fur , girl , grey , hair loss , healthy , hey , home , hurt , indoor , internet , kitty , loss , male , new cat , night , opinion , outdoor , overweight , pet , picture , play , problem , problems , raw , ringworm , royal , save , scratching , scream , small , smart , stop , struggle , test , type , vet , wet food , window , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links