It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-23-2006   #1 (permalink)
Cody08

Question Missing Fur

Just recently my cat, Cody, I noticed a small patch of fur missing along her back near her neck.

I've taken her to the vet and their still running tests but did anyone have this problem with their fuzzy?

She's in perfect health and gets plenty of exercise and doesn't over lick (that I can tell). There aren't even scratches or anything there.

I should have taken a picture (I keep forgetting) but I don't think she's allergic to anything....

Does anyone have any ideas?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-23-2006   #2 (permalink)
Peabug

Not really any ideas but ours is allergic to certain food and her hair falls out in patches around her neck and back legs.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-24-2006   #3 (permalink)
Cody08

I'm thinking that since I got a different flavor of cat food (the same brand) that's maybe what she doesn't like. I think I'll stop at the pet store tomorrow and get her usual. (They were out before)

I talked to the vet last night and they swore she doesn't have ringworm. I was worried cause my sister's new cat had that and my sister even got it. (She visits sometimes). phew!

Unread 10-25-2006   #4 (permalink)
TannersMom

Does your cat wear a collar? It could be too tight. I've had that happen before.

Unread 10-26-2006   #5 (permalink)
Cody08

Nope, no collar. She's purely an indoor hairball.

I'm gonna take her to the vet tonight cause I want to get her ears checked so I'll ask what it could be.

I hope it grows back soon.

Unread 10-27-2006   #6 (permalink)
aja3171

My cat gets that too but that's when he fights with other male cats and he's an outdoor cat. I hope yours will be alright.

Unread 10-28-2006   #7 (permalink)
Cody08

I think she'll be ok.

Her furr seems to be growing back. I can't imagine what was up but maybe she was just stressed for a little while. I wish she could talk to me so I could figure out how to help.

She's my little stress reducer. We play all the time, snuggle, she eats healthy (hates human food) and gets plenty of rest so maybe the neighbors cats are picking on her and annoying her.

She's not allowed outdoors (except in her cat tent) but for some reason ALL of my neighbors let their annoying cats out and they stand at the window annoying her.

Unread 11-04-2006   #8 (permalink)
Jesslan

Thumbs up A Fungus

I had the same problem with my kitty, Lucius! He started to lose fur near the two bones on the back by the neck. Anyhow, since it started getting bald there I kept my eye on him making sure it wasn't just that he was rubbing it on the cement porch or scratching excessively, etc.

I took him to the vet for something else and mentioned it to her while he was there. They took a test and it turned out he had some kind of fungus there.

That weekend was his next dose of Advantage Plus flea meds and because you're supposed to put it on the skin and he fights that tooth and nail I decided to save myself the hassle and put it directly on the skin where the hair fell out. It killed whatever the fungus was and his hair grew back in no time.

It might not be the same for your cat, but it's a thought worth sharing.

Unread 11-04-2006   #9 (permalink)
LucyBell's mom

it could be a reaction to the topical flea med that you put on the kitty thats causing her fur to come out. I belive hair loss is listed on the package as a side effect.

Unread 02-11-2011   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cheerful
Mikebird59 is on a distinguished road
Default missing fur at nape of neck

My indoor kitty Buddha a grey/white DSH neutered indoor male has a fingertip sized spot on the nape of his neck where the fur is missing. There does not seem to be any irritation, but he has had health probs in the past (pancreatitis, he almost died last July), but appears ok, plays, eats, does everything a healthy 4 year old would do, just this one spot went bald several weeks ago and it not growing back. His checkup is today so maybe the vet can tell; I guess it could be that fungus mentioned earlier; none of the other answers could pertain. Any other ideas? I did have to grab him by the scruff several weeks ago to keep him from running out the door, could that have caused it? God I hope I didn't hurt the little guy; he did not cry out, but you never know. Any help appreciated. I am losing sleep.

Tags
age , allergic , another cat , anxiety , behaviour , boy , cat , cat food , cats , collar , cut , diet , dry food , eye , fights , food , fur , girl , grey , hair loss , healthy , hey , home , hurt , indoor , internet , kitty , loss , male , new cat , night , opinion , outdoor , overweight , pet , picture , play , problem , problems , raw , ringworm , royal , save , scratching , scream , small , smart , stop , struggle , test , type , vet , wet food , window , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links