It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-23-2006   #1 (permalink)
Toydriver

Default Chewing base of tail

My 8 lb DSH has started chewing the base of her tail right where it attaches to her body. The vet has not seen anything wrong. She gets very serious about too. She is ok in every other way but it is quite strange. Anyone else ever run across this?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-24-2006   #2 (permalink)
muslgrl

It could be a nervous thing going one cats do funny things when they are upset

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-24-2006   #3 (permalink)
aja3171

Maybe he is just bored or it's his latest trick. You can try diverting his attention to something else.

Unread 10-24-2006   #4 (permalink)
Toydriver

I kind of thought it was boredom or now that she knows it bothers me sometimes she will look right at me before going for the tail. I figure it also could be a play for attention or checking to see if I am going to catch her.

Unread 11-10-2006   #5 (permalink)
vp311

Wow, I have never heard of this. I would try getting him a new toy or two or something to get his attention away from self destruction. Let us know what you find out.

Unread 11-11-2006   #6 (permalink)
Arubalisa

You may want to get a second opinion from another vet just to be on the safe side. There has to be an underlying cause for the behavior. We have one boy who will lick the fur off his shoulder blades down to the red flesh Finally after one too many trips to the vets for stitches, we took the cat to a behaviorist. She diagnosed the cat as an obsessive compulsive. Now on medication, we have never <<knock on wood>> had a reocurrance.

Unread 11-11-2006   #7 (permalink)
stormy

Just a suggestion...maybe have the cat groomed..she might have dry skin...I had my 7yr old cat groomed for the first time..she had mats in her fur and does not let me brush her..and she's too FAT to reach some of her spots!! When it warms up a bit, the vet suggested that I hav her shaved!!! Better for her, and me. I have a friend who also has a long-hair orange cat, and she has him shave at least once a year...he feels like velvet..looks comical..and hardly sheds or scratches like he used to.

Unread 11-11-2006   #8 (permalink)
Arubalisa

Dummy me forgot like stormy said, the root of the cause may be dermatological. When our cat was licking his shoulders raw we took him to Purdue University Veterinary School/Hospital and the first thing they did was rule out dermatologic problems. When I took him to the Univ. of Georgia Vet School/Hospital it was the exact same thing. Turns out our boy's problems were psychological

Unread 11-27-2006   #9 (permalink)
catatonic

Psychological? What does that mean? The cat was just projecting that it has problems when in truth there's none? That's new. I didn't have a cat that is so furry all of mine have just the right fur to cover them and luckily I haven't encountered that kind of dillemma

Unread 01-04-2007   #10 (permalink)
softpaws

Catatonic...I just read your post and am ROFL. Here is your lovely psychiatric nickname and you begin your post with..."Psychological? What does that mean?" Maybe it's just me, but that is just too funny.
We used to have a cat that chewed and scratched himself until he had almost no hair left. After he was with us for a while and apparently got used to our dog and other cats, he was fine. Eventually his skin healed and his behaviors stopped. It was pyschological. It just took a period of adjustment in his new home.

Tags
behavior , boy , cat , cats , chewing , color , diet , dog , dry , fun , funny , fur , health , hey , home , joke , licking , love , nervous , new home , nutrition , opinion , play , problems , raw , sad , stitches , upset , vet , weird

Sponsored Cat Links