It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-27-2006   #1 (permalink)
softpaws

Default My cat is losing all his hair

My little cat (fully grown but quite small at two) is losing all his fur. It's heavier than normal shedding. He licks and licks alot and then of course he is passing alot of fur in his stools and coughing on hair balls. His skin is starting to show through and it's pretty dry and scaly. I gave him some stuff the pet store had for hair balls but that only helps the coughing, he's still losing a lot of hair. It just seems like a funny time of year in December too. Is my house too dry or is the cat stressed out about something? I really don't know.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-29-2006   #2 (permalink)
wittykitty

Default Dry skin?

Ask your vet but maybe you could try some fish oil supplements or some raw eggs in his food for moisture from the inside. It could be just dry skin. If you need some ointments or lotions the vet will know what to do. Maybe he will suggest some Aveeno oatmeal lotion. It's really mild and soothing. I wouldn't think it would hurt a cat. As always though, it's safer to ask first.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-30-2006   #3 (permalink)
outdoorcat

I am not sure where you are, but since it's winter and colder weather is almost all over, I will suggest that perhaps your heating system is drying out the air in your house. This can cause dry skin for the cat justs like it does for you. Get yourself a clean cool mist humidifier. Make sure it says the mist is clean so you won't get white residue all over the house. This may raise the humidity in your house's air and help you and the cat both.

Unread 12-31-2006   #4 (permalink)
aja3171

Check if it's because of the humidity. Or try the vet, he could be sufferin from something else.

Unread 12-31-2006   #5 (permalink)
wendywenpet

I agree with aja! Check with the vet. Over grooming could be a sign of something wrong. I have electric heat in my apt. but I do leave windows open for fresh air. Egor, rather than losing her hair, is getting quite a full coat for a short haired. She will begin to shed her hair in the spring. And when I brush her there is not much hair left in the brush.

Sounds to me something may not be quite right... definately check with your vet. Better to be sure and the dry exposed spots on your cat could become irritated.

Keep us informed of his condition. This could be helpful for others.

Unread 01-05-2007   #6 (permalink)
crookshanks

If your cat is showing signs of hair loss the first thing to do is make sure that you are doing a good job controlling fleas. This is easier to do than it used to be, with the advent of the newer flea control medications

Unread 01-06-2007   #7 (permalink)
softpaws

We don't seem to have any chronic problem with fleas. They do pop up now and then ...mostly sand fleas as we live in a dirt road area and our driveway is also soil or sandy. Sometimes I notice the animals pick these up, so that might be why the poor baby is losing his hair. I have been treating regularly for fleas actually...I was wondering if he might be allergic to the flea shampoo I was using, and perhaps I should change. Thanks for the ideas.

Unread 01-06-2007   #8 (permalink)
Bramblepaw

Softpaw, for your cat, you should bring it to the vet IMMEDIETELY .It seems that your cat is under some difficulty stage

Unread 01-13-2007   #9 (permalink)
blueberrycheesecake

Maybe before that happened she ate something you are not aware of and made him lose some hair? Have you asked your vet about this? It's kinda frightening because your cat might choke with continuous furball and coughing, and the drying and scaling of his skin...

Unread 01-13-2007   #10 (permalink)
siam mom

It has been a few days since you posted an update, I wonder how he is doing? I would agree with the others who have suggested taking him to a vet. I had a dog a few years ago who got a very serious disease that caused him to lose his hair in blotches and he scratched at it allot. Don't wait, if you haven't yet done so, get to the vet!
and keep us posted!

Tags
age , allergic , baby , cat , clean , cool , dog , dry , fish , fleas , food , fun , funny , fur , grooming , hair balls , hair loss , heat , hey , house , hurt , loss , paw , pet , problem , raw , small , vet

Sponsored Cat Links