It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-01-2007   #1 (permalink)
outdoorcat

Default Grooming your cat...is it necessary?

Cats usually clean their own fur and look pretty nice. Some people insist on brushing them and I can't figure out why. At the pet store there are kitty nail clippers, tooth brushes and tooth paste. Do people really buy and use this stuff? I can't imagine brushing a cat's teeth, poor babies. They take care of their own claws naturally when they play on the tree bark or scratching post, right? I guess people just want to make a buck.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-01-2007   #2 (permalink)
wendywenpet

I hear you !!!

Actually, the last visit at the vet for Egor... the doctor said Egor needed some dental work done!! Never have I brought my cats in for dental work!! But more importantly.... that is could be a major problem. If your cat's teeth has plaque build up.. could lead to problems! Firstly, if not attended to the tooth could fall out and possible infection could arise. Then leading to other things. This could not be the case always... but something to look out for.

As far as brushing goes... I brush Egor at least as many times a day as she wants it and as much as I can handle it!!! So good for them and their skin and fur... and also great bonding.. at least for me and Egor!! Can never go wrong with brushing!

Nails??? I do not clip Egor's nails. I had the vet do it one year and Egor bit her.. Egor came out with a cone around her neck. I just giggled. Egor uses her scratching post and anything else that is handy. Thank God I don't have good furniture!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-03-2007   #3 (permalink)
wittykitty

I went to the pet store a few weeks ago. Almost fell on the floor right in the store, laughing. Fish flavoured toothpaste? Look, for centuries cats have survived without toothbrushes. My grandmother had cats that lived basically forever, two of them were around for a few years after she passed away, although they missed her. No one really knew how old they were, but it seemed to me they were always around when I was a little girl. They didn't die from tooth decay. I never saw anyone do the cats' nails. Cats, the way I was raised, are pretty self sufficient.

Tags
babies , care , cat , cat's , cats , claws , clean , clip , fish , fur , furniture , girl , great , grooming , hey , infection , kitty , nails , nice , pet , play , problem , problems , scratching , toothpaste , vet

Sponsored Cat Links