It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2007   #1 (permalink)
joymidd4

Default Do chickens,cats, or dogs pose a health risk to

pregnant women?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-30-2007   #2 (permalink)
Catrancher99

Cats can indeed pose a health risk to women who are pregnant, or more accurately to the fetus. There is a tiny parasite in cats' feces that can cause toxoplasmosis which is VERY dangerous to the unborn child. If the fetus isn't killed, it can be born with deformities and retardation. This is very serious. However - you do not need to get rid of the cats. Just have someone else clean the cats' litterbox and thoroughly wash their hands afterwards. As for adult humans, our immune system, if healthy, easily overwhelms this parasite and we become immune. I've read that almost all humans who are around cats and cleans litterboxes have been exposed and suffer no harm. Also, most diseases are species-specific and cannot be transmitted ***excuse me, I have a 14 pound Amazon princess (my Balinese Deja Vu) in my face right now *** with a very few exceptions, such as rabies.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-01-2007   #3 (permalink)
Firestar

I don't know about dogs or chickens but I know that cat.......poo is VERY harmful. it can cause bad birth defects. Never change a cat box if you are pregnant.

Unread 02-01-2007   #4 (permalink)
mich83

cats can cause you to get toxoplasmosis, which can be very bad for the unborn, it can cause severe deformality. you should never handle litter, or cat puke and any fluids. specially if you have an outside cat. you can still pet it but wash your hands after you do.

Unread 02-02-2007   #5 (permalink)
soccerfreak

dont clean a cats litter box whene your pregnant

Unread 02-02-2007   #6 (permalink)
stranger

cats do because of something i their urine and stool the ammoina can be very harmful to the fetus

Unread 02-02-2007   #7 (permalink)
Ask Abby

The dogs, cats and birds themselves are not harmful but it is advisable to stay away from their "messes".1. Dog poop can harbor bacteria and worms.2. Bird poop can harbor samonella. 3. Cat poop can harbor a bacteria that is esp. bad for women who are expecting. If I were pregnant I would get someone else to clean up after the pets till after the baby was born. If you do have to clean up after them use gloves and a mask and wash throughly with hot soapy water after contact with feces. Just be extra careful you should invest in a good pooper scooper so that you lessen your chance of contact with the feces and have someone else clean the coop or cage intirely.A woman's work is never done, I guess!

Tags
adult , baby , balinese , birds , birth , box , cat , cat poop , cats , clean , dogs , health , healthy , litter , litter box , litterbox , pet , poo , poop , pregnant , rabies , scooper , urine , wash , water

Sponsored Cat Links