It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2007   #1 (permalink)
Bridget

Default We have a 14 year old Manx cat. She's had so many...

...health problems. Any experts? Not complaining. As I am typing this, I have a severe case of COL (cat on lap). So warm and purring. Guess who runs this household?Anyway, so many health problems. Any Manx folks out there?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-01-2007   #2 (permalink)
ProZack

Manx cats typically have more problems because of their tail (or lack of actually) they get spina bifida and open spine problems and digestive problems. It isnt proven that they actually get these problems more than any other cats though because these are common with all breeds- many times just changing their diet can make huge differences. Try differnet foods for one month periods and see if there are any changes. Research cats and study their natural diets and try to emulate them. My cat is 15 and I have had a lot of problems with him too- but not in the last 8 or so years. He seems healthier than ever- and I started to notice he was looking a bit skinny so I found some cat treats that were vitamins for them.The ones I got have glucosamine and chondroitin added, he was a bit picky about eating them at first so I gave them to him with other treats at the same time- then he ate them all up- I feed my cat a mixture of dry and moist foods-I use the purina cat chow (indoor formula because it maintains a better ph level in his system- and dont smell up the box as fast)- the hard foods keep their teeth strong.once a week I will give him a can of soft food (there are many kinds- just pick the ones your cat likes)- I have a food dispenser so he always has access to the hard food, but at least on fridays he gets a choice. I prefer the calcium rich types with salmon or tuna- and I found the best ones are actually the 9 lives brand tuna because they are the least processed. (but he likes a variety too)I give him 2 of his favorite treats (1 crunchy and 1 moist "pounce" treats), 1 pounce hairball formula treat, and 2 "hip action natural cat treats with vitamins" (I started out with 1 a day because he was under 10 lbs- but now that he is @ 10 lbs he gets 2 a day - I skip the vitamin treats on friday when he gets the soft food)once a month I pour about a 1/4 cup of milk in a bowl and let him drink that - I keep his litter box clean, and give him lots of love. At 15 he is the healthiest he has ever been.getting them fixed is also a bonus because many of their problems arise from their reproductive organs and hormones. My cat is indoor/outdoor - I think it is great for cats to get outside and play, getting some fresh air and exercise. (he still has all his claws)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-01-2007   #3 (permalink)
calikocahlia

I have a 17 year old manx cat named miss sissy whiskers. She has no teeth and has cateracts in both eyes. She is a joy to have around, I will be heartbroken when she does pass away, but I'll know she lived a long and happy life. I'm not an expert but just know your cat loves you very much.

Tags
box , breeds , cat , cats , claws , clean , diet , dry , eating , eyes , fast , fixed , found , great , happy , health , hey , indoor , indoor/outdoor , joy , litter , litter box , love , manx , natural , outdoor , play , pounce , problems , smell

Sponsored Cat Links