It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2007   #1 (permalink)
chai!

Default Cat Health?

My cat likes play with this cheap, probably plastic feather boa that i have. im just worried because he tries to eat the feathers. is this a problem, should i keep him away from it?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-30-2007   #2 (permalink)
crookshanks

I would give the cat something else to play with. I would be worried the cat would choke or ingest the plastic. Take the toy away when the cat is asleep. Maybe buy some other interesting toy that the cat can play with instead of the boa. Check out the pet store and you might be able to find something similar but safer.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-31-2007   #3 (permalink)
Catrancher99

I agree with Crookshanks here. Anything a cat might ingest is not a good toy, really. Surprisingly, many people think string is a good cat toy, but it can be deadly in extreme circumstances because if swallowed it can actually constrict or even cut open the intestines. Once the string is far enough back in the mouth it's very difficult for the cat to get it back out, since their mouths are designed to get food in and all those "hairs" on their tongues point towards the throat. My cats like jingly balls, a ball-in-a-ring toy (alot), toilet paper tubes, wadded-up paper, paper grocery bags (alot - but don't allow them the plastic ones for the same reason you wouldn't give a child one). Try some of those.

Unread 02-01-2007   #4 (permalink)
ReddBratt

Not to worry if he does he will pass them just fine. Look at all the fur they eat everyday licking themselves, or the plants they eat, grass or anything else they might wanna try.. Let the Kitty have fun!

Unread 02-01-2007   #5 (permalink)
AbRoller

That sounds like a fun toy for your kitty! As long as your cat is not actually swalling the feathers, I think it should be fine. But if he is, then I would get him another toy as that could mess up his stomach.

Unread 02-01-2007   #6 (permalink)
ttoommaa

Usually cats know what's bad for them and avoid it. If you're really worried, ask your vet next time you go there for an annual check up. There're toys that are similar to what you've described and they're safe for animals. You can get one in a pet store. It's a feather boa on a plastic handle special for cats to play.

Unread 02-02-2007   #7 (permalink)
Catrancher99

As for feathers, like the ones on sticks, I don't think they'd be dangerous. Cats do eat birds and must ingest some of the feathers even though they want the meat. I've had toys with feathers on them and they never seemed to cause any problems. But I repeat, please do not allow your kitties to play with string or twine, unless you play with the cat with it, then put it away where it can't be gotten to by kitty.

Unread 02-02-2007   #8 (permalink)
Jackie

my cats are the same. Yes it is not good if they eat them but don't worry if they do eat a little it happens.

Unread 02-02-2007   #9 (permalink)
A-Rod's Mama

My cats love feathery things too! They both try to eat them. I let them have fun, but watch them. Alot of cat toys do have feathers and they do eat birds. But better to be safe tham sorry. Once I see a feathery toy just coming to pieces I throw it away. Orif they get one of those "yummy" feathers in thier mouth-I play catch the kitties and throw it away.

Unread 02-02-2007   #10 (permalink)
redunicorn

My cat has chewed up many feathers. It is ok.

Tags
birds , cat , cat health , cat toys , cat's , cats , cut , eating , food , fun , fur , health , hey , interesting , kitties , kitty , licking , love , mess , nose , pet , play , problem , problems , raw , toys , vet , wild , worry

Sponsored Cat Links